Since week 4 last season

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron has been under his career average completion rating of approx 65% in 16 out of 18 games. If you consider that prior to this point his average was closed to 69%, he has missed that in every game since week 4 last season.

Also, his qb rating has been below his average of 103 (current) in all but 2 games as well (regular season ).

I know these stats have been dropped in many times in recent weeks, but the question I've been asking is "why"?

Several things happened at the start of 2015 that may point to the time frame in question:

1. Edgar Bennet takes over as oc

2. Offensive package overhaul (in no small part due to jordy injury) that moved away from base formations and into sub packages like pistol and full house. This is also when we started using the hard count and no huddle to prevent package substitutions by defenses, and making them a base to all our offensive drives (what I like to call our "gotcha" package).

3. We started seeing single high safety packages as the defensive game plan against us more often.

Now I am no expert, and all the above may be completely off base, but I want to focus on 3. It seems AR has gotten worse almost every single time he sees a single high coverage. We have been unable to or unwilling to adjust our packages to account for the weakness in this (quick rub routes underneath and in the middle of the field).

I think that problem has led to the "gotcha" plays we see more and more of, to play to AR comfort level of free play and improvisation.

I think coaches know this is our kryptonite, and the square peg, round hole approach we have taken is why Aaron has the shanks right now. He has time in the pocket, but he's been burnt so much in the last 12 months he is too reliant on the details and not enough of the trust and instinct he has.

I don't know what the answer is, but pinpointing the cause may be the first step to fixing it.

Personally I think we need to begin game planning gimme plays like all slants and short posts to start games. Get his confidence in gear, then once he is trusting his wrs, let him play his game. Until he gets his confidence back, MM, van pelt and bennett need to leash him to their gameplan.

No more hard count every 4 downs. No more no huddle for a while. Just football. Plain and simple. I feel like we are trying so hard to do trigonometry while we continue to screw up basic math.

Let's get back to basics.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-10-16-21-16-08.png
    Screenshot_2016-10-16-21-16-08.png
    167.8 KB · Views: 132

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts