Sign Mike Daniels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unrestricted free agency for Mike Daniels is creeping up on us as he'll hit the open market in 10 months if we don't sign him first.

We've got the money, and I hope the two parties are in talks to hammer something out before the 2015 season starts. Daniels is a key component of that D-line and has the work ethic and motor to not worry about him slowing down once he's signed. Really, he's evolved into one of the most important players on our defense and he's still improving.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. I'd like to see him re-signed before FA next year.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i like daniels as a core guy. but not a star. just because we are fairly weak on def up front, doesnt mean we should over pay for a core guy.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm a Mike Daniels fan, I like his attitude and what he brings to the table. That said, I won't fret if Ted doesn't lock him up immediately. Ted always takes the cautious, patient approach, and sometimes that can result in us losing a good player. It also results in us not overpaying for anyone. As pointed out in the top post, "We have the money". Ted's approach is exactly why that is true.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm a Mike Daniels fan, I like his attitude and what he brings to the table. That said, I won't fret if Ted doesn't lock him up immediately. Ted always takes the cautious, patient approach, and sometimes that can result in us losing a good player. It also results in us not overpaying for anyone. As pointed out in the top post, "We have the money". Ted's approach is exactly why that is true.

Thompson has overpaid for several players during his tenure with A.J. Hawk and Brad Jones being the most recent examples. Taking last season into consideration Shields could be considered overpaid as well.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson has overpaid for several players during his tenure with A.J. Hawk and Brad Jones being the most recent examples. Taking last season into consideration Shields could be considered overpaid as well.

Well, I must admit that's true in the first two instances, although I am tempted to argue he paid the going rate in Shields case. Still, Ted has a lot better track record than most GMs.

Without a contract, Daniels should be motivated this year, and that could bring out the best in him. When the season is over, offer him a fair deal based on productivity and market value. If some other GM wants to over-pay, not much we can do about that. That doesn't mean we should over-pay as well.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well, I must admit that's true in the first two instances, although I am tempted to argue he paid the going rate in Shields case. Still, Ted has a lot better track record than most GMs.

Without a contract, Daniels should be motivated this year, and that could bring out the best in him. When the season is over, offer him a fair deal based on productivity and market value. If some other GM wants to over-pay, not much we can do about that. That doesn't mean we should over-pay as well.

There´s some risk by extending a player´s contract a year early but I would be fine with the Packers doing it with Daniels. If he has another great season in 2015 it will be way more expensive to get him re-signed afterwards than it would be now.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think a player like Daniels are the ones you keep. I think he should be paid fairly, not some mega deal, but he should be paid. He's good and more importantly he's self motivated. I think he'd line up and hit you just as hard for 10 million or 10 cents, just because he wants to play hard. Guys like that are great to have around, and there's no doubt in my mind that is the type of player Daniels is.

I think the only risk with signing him early is injury risk, but nobody can predict that and it can happen before, or after they sign. Unless it's a person with a long injury history, it's a non factor for me anyway.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I hope the Packers explore how much of a discount they could sign him for this season vs. his projected value as a UFA (albeit a "best guess"). IMO the best case would be Daniels accepting the extension at somewhat of a discount. Daniels is a fourth round gem who has turned into a core guy on a defense in need of retaining core guys. Particularly DL.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously I am completely guessing here but I would bet that keeping Mike D is near or at the top of Ted's list of priorities. Coming out of Iowa I thought Mike would be a nice rotational type player with a shot at being somewhat of an impact guy down the road. Man was I wrong and I am fine with that. Over the last 2 seasons he has averaged 6 sacks per and made many-a-impact play for the D. He serves as a much needed mouthpiece as well and brings a level of toughness and bravado that was/is sorely needed. At times his mouth gets the better of him as I am still sore at him for the 15 yd. unsportsmanlike penalty he incurred for jaw jacking near the goal line after HaHa's first pick in the game we will not mention by name. I hold a grudge, sue me! :) With that being said Mike is the kind of guy you use as a foundation for building your D around. He is good against both the run and the pass and as I mentioned not only carries a big stick but knows how to use it. I will not be shocked if he isn't locked up in the ten month time-frame listed above but I also assume that it won't be because of a lack of effort. This is a "Ted Guy" that also happens to have played at a near Pro Bowl level and I don't think he has reached his ceiling yet. I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that I really hope we lock him up long-term and get to watch big ol' 76 do his thing in God's colors for many years to come!

G P G!!

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed - Daniels deserves an extension. I value guys that perform on a consistent basis, and not just in the final year before hitting FA. Since being drafted Daniels has improved each season.

As for over-paying on past players, that's being used in a 20-20 lens. Hawk wasn't overpaid based upon his 2010 performance. He and Shields were paid appropriately, but haven't played up to the contracts. I see that more as player / coach problems not attributable to the GM. Jones is probably a good example of over-paying for a guy who hadn't yet proven to be a consistent performer.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dont get me wrong. daniels is a good contributor! i like the meaness he brings too. but i dont see a star! he has the ego of a star, but not the production, yet.
its like yhe starving man eating a piece of bread. best bread ever!!!

few stars. half core. half rookie contracts. daniels graduated from rookie to core. imo, nothing more.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need his attitude even more than his impressive field contributions. Lock him uo for another 4 years minimum.

H

HardRightEdge

I don't see the urgency. Perhaps later in the season. There's plenty of opportunity for injury between now and then.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't see the urgency. Perhaps later in the season. There's plenty of opportunity for injury between now and then.

As I've said before there's risk involved in signing Daniels to an extension now but the Packers could save a lot of money by doing it as well.

H

HardRightEdge

As I've said before there's risk involved in signing Daniels to an extension now but the Packers could save a lot of money by doing it as well.
I doubt Mike Daniels will be a high demand free agent.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can we put something in his contract where he loses 500k if he gets penalized for taunting?

Still ticked off about that dumb move

H

HardRightEdge

Can we put something in his contract where he loses 500k if he gets penalized for taunting?

Still ticked off about that dumb move
I'd be a lot more concerned about Bakhtiari in the penalty department:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BakhDa00/penalties/

2013 was bad: 11 hold/face mask/illegal use of hands calls. You can look at sacks charged and say "good"; but considering 10 yard penalties are potential drive killers, not very good.

2014 showed some improvement, but still not good, with 7 holds and an unsportsmanlike call of his own.

While there's no excuse for taunting, Daniels' lapse was isolated while being relatively penalty-free given his high snap counts.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DaniMi00/penalties/

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For as much was made of how much of a beast Raji was in 2010, both the 2013 and 2014 seasons for Daniels graded out far better than Raji's 2010.

I'm very surprised that anyone would think Daniels is just a 'core' guy or someone who is not going to get much attention in free agency. He's been very arguably more valuable than Matthews to us the last 2 years. If he hits free agency, someone will pay him. He's not going to get Suh money, but he's going to get a very good contract. Edge linemen who are proficient both in pass rushing and run defense will garner interest.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i am a firm believer that the big boys make or break you. o and d. if you cant afford to have a couple guys named suh's, you better keep a steady supply of mid/late round d-linemen drafted every year. this year we should draft abig de, early. give daniels some competition. see if he steps up big like cobb did...

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i am a firm believer that the big boys make or break you. o and d. if you cant afford to have a couple guys named suh's, you better keep a steady supply of mid/late round d-linemen drafted every year. this year we should draft abig de, early. give daniels some competition. see if he steps up big like cobb did...

He already has stepped up. Daniels' spot isn't up for grabs in an open competition. He's our starting DE. You're talking about Daniels like he's a guy with potential who hasn't really done anything yet when in reality, he's been really good for 2 years already.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he has been good. not really good, imo. 6 sacks.... i want 12 from ends and 6 from nose.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he has been good. not really good, imo. 6 sacks.... i want 12 from ends and 6 from nose.

No idea how a 3-4 works. The OLBs are the primary pass rushers who rack up all the sacks. DEs hold the point of attack and push up the field. Guys like Watt are an exception.

If you judge 3-4 DEs off sacks, the vast majority won't be that good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts