Sick of it...

Popcynical

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know if anybody shares the same feelings as me... but there are some things that are happening at this forum that just really tick me off. I normally don't say much - I'm more of an observer here - but I feel that some of these things are really affecting the health of the forum.

I really don't know what this post will contain, I'm kind of just ranting here and haven't outlined anything, but....

Why is almost every thread hijacked into an argument about something not remotely related to the original thread topic? I don't have a statistic for you, but I'd say if a thread is over 2 pages long, there's a very good chance that the latest post has nothing to do with the first topic post. This, I feel, is mainly because of a lack of experience some users have with forums in general. People need to stop being selfish and stop filling threads with useless bickering and stupid arguments that usually cannot be resolved and usually end up in a closed thread - thereby ruining the thread for anybody who actually wanted to speak on topic. I can use myself as an example as to how this hurt the forum. Over the summer I logged in here more than once a day. OVER SUMMER. In the offseason. I found that most of the threads contained just what I mentioned previously: pointless arguments about what should've been done or what could've been done. They usually sprouted up in threads that had nothing to do with these topics. Soooo, I stopped coming as often. Why come to this forum when I can predict the outcome of almost every popular thread?

This brings me to my next subject. People, there is no use in arguing about what should've, could've, and might have happened. Well if we'd have taken Chris Chambers over Robert Ferg-- I don't care!!!! Too late. The past is past. I ask you as a member of Packerforum.com to please stop ruining this site by flooding it with useless stuff like this. I really wouldn't mind if it was a thread here and there.... but it never is! It usually doesn't even has it's own thread! Somebody usually just hijacks another topic and then a 5 page argument appears on how if Sherman wouldn't have done such-and-such, we'd have another Lombardi trophy.

Another thing that has been irking me about Packer fans: we don't know what to do when we lose! We've been so spoiled in the past decade that we can't handle losing. People start suggesting erratic and pointless solutions to our problems. Like, "FIRE MCCARTHY!! YEAH!" Ok, please, would you think about what you're saying before you press "Enter" and waste 21 bytes of Ryan's bandwidth? First of all, I doubt Ted Thompson is going the be reading this forum and suddenly realize, "Hey.... that's a good idea. I think I will fire Mike McCarthy." Not gonna happen. Second, think about it if we did fire Mike McCarthy right now. Let's say we hire Bates, who brings in Rossley and a bunch of other new assistant coaches. Our players wouldn't have time to learn new plays, new schemes, etc. What good would it do? Think before you speak, please.

Sooooo, the readers digest version:

*Stop hijacking all the threads to have the same argument over and over. If you really want to argue about something that has been brought up in another thread, simply say "You know what, we're getting off topic here. I'll start a new thread and we can continue this there."

*Please stop boring everyone with the "What could've happened" threads. They have no purpose and usually end up being completely off topic by the time the thread's closed anyways.

*We're a losing/rebuilding team. Deal with it. We don't have an easy button. Ted Thompson is not reading your posts trying to get new ideas of how to run the franchise. Your "Fire Mike McCarthy" thread isn't going to do anything constructive at all.

Once again, I only say all of this for the good of the forum. And kudos. if you read the whole thing.

OP
OP
P

Popcynical

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On second thought, I'd be fine with more of the arguments if they were more constructive than destructive... most of the ones around here usually end up in name-calling, or attacking the person and not the issue.

steveGB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no1 forces you to read the forum. if you dont like it ignore it ? and being a fan and having this forum is designed to show your personal opinion. thats what i thought anyways i thought it was meant to be a place where people could say what they think shoulda happened.

OP
OP
P

Popcynical

Cheesehead
Reaction score
steveGB said:
no1 forces you to read the forum. if you dont like it ignore it ? and being a fan and having this forum is designed to show your personal opinion. thats what i thought anyways i thought it was meant to be a place where people could say what they think shoulda happened.

That's just it. People ignore the problem instead of trying to fix it, which in the end hurts the forum.

Then the amount of people ignoring the forum just keeps adding up to where you lose valuable input on the forums.

People should be able to state their opinions, but they should also be responsible enough to keep on track and not drag every little thing into an 8 page argument that has nothing to do with the original topic.

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The way I see it is this.

A thread will start about something. Someone will interject with something along the lines of "TT is a *******!!" because apparently he has destroyed this team all by himself without the aid of a previous General Manager, who shall remain nameless. Then someone will point out that the previous GM had multiple years of consecutive horrific drafts and that is a huge reason why the Packers aren't very good now. The TT hater will go "Nuh Uhh!!" and then we have a hijacked thread on our hands.

The Sherman thing (doh!) is in response to the TT haters though. At least it is when I do it. I can't really speak for anyone else.

OP
OP
P

Popcynical

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ahaug82 said:

A thread will start about something. Someone will interject with something along the lines of "TT is a *******!!" because apparently he has destroyed this team all by himself without the aid of a previous General Manager, who shall remain nameless. Then someone will point out that the previous GM had multiple years of consecutive horrific drafts and that is a huge reason why the Packers aren't very good now. The TT hater will go "Nuh Uhh!!" and then we have a hijacked thread on our hands.

The Sherman thing (doh!) is in response to the TT haters though. At least it is when I do it. I can't really speak for anyone else.

I agree with you. One way to solve this would be to say to the "TT is a *******!!" guy, "This isn't the right place for that. Take it somewhere else, please." I know not everybody is a mod, but as a mod of several forums I can say that I do appreciate it when members police themselves while I'm not around.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ahaug82 said:

See, you are wrong here and I can find 100 posts to point to the problem.

If people want to bring up why they don't like Sherman or Ted Thompson that is fine. A post like the one with Carroll being cut DIRECTLY relates to TT because he is the one pulling the trigger. We can debate whether its a good or bad move either way. The problem is as soon as someone says it's a bad move they get bombarded with crap posts from CERTAIN people that has nothing to do with football OR they revert to the "Well Sherman did this" line.

I'm sorry but I keep my stuff football related. I don't like alot of Teds moves but I give you valid reasons why I do not. Up to this point of have been SPOT ON with my assessment of Thompson and how the team would perform. You can call it hating if you would like but perhaps, just perhaps, I would give Ted credit if he did something I perceived as positive. What you perceive as hatred I see as telling the truth.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Popcynical said:
ahaug82 said:

I agree with you. One way to solve this would be to say to the "TT is a *******!!" guy, "This isn't the right place for that. Take it somewhere else, please." I know not everybody is a mod, but as a mod of several forums I can say that I do appreciate it when members police themselves while I'm not around.

Thats just not right, I'm sorry. There is no difference between stating "TT is a failure" and stating "TT is building a great team". It's the same thing and one opinion doesn't override another one just because you happen to think one way.

This logic could be applied to Sherman as well. The TT people often make post regarding Sherman and what a failure he was. I supposeto you thats OK. So its OK to degrade Sherman but not TT?

Quit trying to silence people with opinions other than yours. Personal comments shouldn't be allowed but both sides of an argument should and on that both sides are AS guilty as the other, not just theside you disagree with.

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
ahaug82 said:

See, you are wrong here and I can find 100 posts to point to the problem.

If people want to bring up why they don't like Sherman or Ted Thompson that is fine. A post like the one with Carroll being cut DIRECTLY relates to TT because he is the one pulling the trigger. We can debate whether its a good or bad move either way. The problem is as soon as someone says it's a bad move they get bombarded with crap posts from CERTAIN people that has nothing to do with football OR they revert to the "Well Sherman did this" line.

I'm sorry but I keep my stuff football related. I don't like alot of Teds moves but I give you valid reasons why I do not. Up to this point of have been SPOT ON with my assessment of Thompson and how the team would perform. You can call it hating if you would like but perhaps, just perhaps, I would give Ted credit if he did something I perceived as positive. What you perceive as hatred I see as telling the truth.

I don't spend a huge amount of time and energy on this forum, but a lot of my recent experiences are closer to what I said before. When I bring up Sherman it's because it's directly related to TT. Thompson has to clean up the mess that Sherman left him. I can't speak for everyone, and you may be able to show me 100 posts that point to a problem. I just haven't really seen them myself. Granted, I wasn't on here very often in the offseason. It was probably pretty bad on here then.

You may or may not be right about Thompson, but the fact is that we won't really know if he's effective or not for a couple more years. We're paying the price for Sherman's drafts now, and we'll feel the impact of Thompson's drafts in a few years, whatever the impact will be. Calling for TT to be fired in his 2nd year is foolish because he hasn't had enough time to really build a team.

Anyway, the whole point of this thread is that a lot of people are just getting sick and tired of the argument. This is about the 4th time I've typed something about Sherman and Thompson in as many threads. Maybe I shouldn't have the opportunity to do that.

EDIT: To clarify, TT pulled the trigger on Carroll, but Sherman is the one that drafted him.

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Popcynical said:
ahaug82 said:

Thats just not right, I'm sorry. There is no difference between stating "TT is a failure" and stating "TT is building a great team". It's the same thing and one opinion doesn't override another one just because you happen to think one way.

This logic could be applied to Sherman as well. The TT people often make post regarding Sherman and what a failure he was. I supposeto you thats OK. So its OK to degrade Sherman but not TT?

Quit trying to silence people with opinions other than yours. Personal comments shouldn't be allowed but both sides of an argument should and on that both sides are AS guilty as the other, not just theside you disagree with.

Sherman and Thompson are not equal. We can look back and see what Sherman has done. He was an absolute failure as a GM. There's really no opinions possible here. When 2/3 of a GM's draft picks aren't even in the league anymore and 1/30ish of the players he drafted are pro bowlers, he's a failure.

Thompson, on the other hand, is a work in progress. We don't know if he's a good or bad GM until we know how his draft picks turned out. So go ahead and demand that TT be fired in every thread, but it's foolish and annoying.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ahaug82 said:
pyledriver80 said:
Popcynical said:
ahaug82 said:

Sherman and Thompson are not equal. We can look back and see what Sherman has done. He was an absolute failure as a GM. There's really no opinions possible here. When 2/3 of a GM's draft picks aren't even in the league anymore and 1/50ish of the players he drafted are pro bowlers, he's a failure.

Thompson, on the other hand, is a work in progress. We don't know if he's a good or bad GM until we know how his draft picks turned out. So go ahead and demand that TT be fired in every thread, but it's foolish and annoying.

I think I'll stay out of this one.

Go Packers!

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Popcynical said:
I don't know if anybody shares the same feelings as me... but there are some things that are happening at this forum that just really tick me off. threads with useless bickering and stupid arguments that usually cannot be resolved and usually end up in a closed thread - thereby ruining the thread for anybody who actually wanted to speak on topic.

An online forum is not talk radio.

There is always going to be caller who get's past the call producers qualifying questions and goes off on something stupid and boring. Talk radio has live people to cut the conversation and get it back on track.

The challenge this or any forum (Unlike Talk Radio) has is there is not a person (Procucer screening every post, live as they are posted, nor can Ryan or any MODS be here all the time.)

The botttom line is we all have to police ourselves.

I can understand your frustration POP.

It drives me nuts too when I see a great thought or concept derailed.

What kills me is the little ***** sessions that happen all the time between the same people in so many quality threads. It is kind of like some people here just log on, do a search on posts by the author they hate and respond in a nasty way. It is like a angry devorced person who can not get on with their life and needs to keep track of the EX, everything the EX thinks, and says then bash it in public.

THE BOTTOM LINE IS... THIS IS A DAMN GOOD FORUM, run by a damn good person with damn good people who are MODS.

They can not be here all the time.

R.P.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are all wrong.....I haven't been posting recently but looking on. I probably won't post much from here on unless things change. I know a couple others have left this site also. The problem is that the admin and mods are not consistent in their moderating. A couple guys on this site (I'll call genx and gen xx are allowed to run roughshod over anybody that disagrees with them. They have turned this entire forum into a TT vs. MS ***** session. Hell they even got 66 defending MS. I know the mods can't babysit these infantiles all the time so there is truly only one solution to the problem.

No editing or censoring at all. Anything goes! Otherwise when a guy gets drunk on a Friday night and goes into an obscenity laced, namecalling tirade and ends it with "oh well see you Monday", punish him for real. He got what he wanted.....suspended til Monday then came back and broadcast the game for this Admin on Monday night. Anytime this individual feels like he wants to get away for a couple days then anything goes. How many times do you suspend a guy before banning him.

This is Ryan's site. As he has shown in the past he will do whatever he wants (which is the way it should be). My advice is just that.....only advice... and I realize that it holds no weight. If the same person is involved in all the problems then either get rid of him or allow people to respond in kind. Personally I didn't think P@ck66 was nearly as bad as a couple of these guys. It loooks to me that the difference is that he didn't support TT. That is sad.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Popcynical said:
But please, I'd like to have some more discussion before we throw this thread to the dogs.

I have a black Lab, I love dogs.....Speaking of Dogs, we need to fire MM,TT, and should have p/u Jackson....J/K Pop...I know where you're coming from.

Members online

Latest posts