SI Peter King is a Debbie Downer

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lions' late win over Buccaneers paved way to Packers Super Bowl - Peter King - SI.com

Packers owe Lions, Eagles thanks for Super Bowl run

From the Ifs And Buts Dept. ...
Ran into Lions PR man Bill Keenist leaving Dallas Monday, and he made this point: If not for the late-game ridiculousness in games of Dec. 19 in New Jersey and Tampa, the Packers would not be hoisting the Lombardi Trophy today.
Keenist is right. Green Bay finished 10-6, the last Wild Card team and sixth seed in the NFC, by virtue of winning tiebreakers with the 10-6 Giants and 10-6 Bucs. We all know the Giants story: Up 31-10 over Philly at home with eight minutes left in the game, the Giants gave up 28 points in the last half of the fourth quarter and lost 38-31. The killer was punter Matt Dodge blowing the game and keeping a punt to DeSean Jackson inbounds with 14 seconds left in a 31-all game. Jackson returned it 65 yards for a touchdown. Who knows what would have happened if that game went to overtime, but that'll stay a mystery.
The Detroit game, in many ways, was more painful because of who the Lions are. They hadn't won a road game in three years. They were in Tampa, trailing by a field goal with two minutes left, playing third-string quarterback Drew Stanton. He led a field-goal drive to tie it. The Lions won the toss in overtime. Stanton led another long drive to win it in overtime.
Dave Rayner kicked the tying and winning field goals that afternoon in Tampa Bay. He was Green Bay's kicker in 2006, the one fired to make way for new Super Bowl champion Mason Crosby.
Without the ex-Packer to help the current Packers, Green Bay's players would be in the fifth week of their offseason today, not getting confetti and love and cheers showed on them in Lambeau Field. Football is a funny game sometimes.

Read more: Lions' late win over Buccaneers paved way to Packers Super Bowl - Peter King - SI.com

I'm well aware of the HUGE difference it made when the Lions beat the Bucs & the eagles beat the Giants...I'm sure many of you guys are aware of that too, but Peter King needs to make sure EVERYONE can see have a reason to believe the Packers didn't belong...kinda negative, guess what Peter King REDSOX SUCK!

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
And if Green Bay had won one or two of the six close games they lost..?

If, if, if.

Somebody sounds mad that the Packers won another Championship. Geez, get him an account at OBF.

Peter (which is the french verb for "To Fart") King is one reason why I hope there is a Packers/Patriots Super Bowl next year - no matter who won, his head would explode. And then the world would be a better place :happy0005:

SyX

Stranger in a strange land
Reaction score
So good to hear that the entire Packers season came down to two games, neither of which they were involved in. I'm pretty sure this is the first time in the history of the NFL that a team has benefited from other teams losing. Think it will ever happen again? Gosh, I hope not, I'm having enough trouble wrapping my head around this one.

How about this, if the Packers hadn't won on the road against the Eagles, Falcons and Bears, then traveled to Dallas and beaten the Steelers there, they would not have been hoisting the trophy

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the end it all doesn't matter how the Packers got there.
The only thing that matters is that they did get there.
And the major way they got there was through great efforts by winning those last 5 games, which really all were playoff games.

OP
OP
armand34

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the guys is basically bringing down the packers glory a couple notches by writing about something like this, they just beat the #3, the #2, the #1 NFC seeds and when on to beat the #2 afc seed to become THE CHAMPS...how about you write about that PETER KING, all the adversity the team went through, losing players in almost every position

OP
OP
armand34

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BTW the title says, Packers owe Lions, Eagles thanks for Super Bowl run
.........really PETER KING, REALLY?!

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BTW the title says, Packers owe Lions, Eagles thanks for Super Bowl run
.........really PETER KING, REALLY?!
Maybe they should give them all rings too after A-Rod takes them all out to dinner.
(He really is super cheap if he doesn't do that.)

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Oh good, we're still whining about the media.

Good Lord. Here's the dirty little secret: He's right. We don't make the Playoffs without the Eagles pulling off that miracle and the Lions beating Tampa. That Sunday, despite our loss at New England, was one of if not the most important regular season Sundays of our season.

Again, I have no problems with this, and again I'm amazed at this whole "the media hates us" attitude of some of you.

cheesehurdler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey, Peter King. Here's an "If" for you.

If the Packers took 26 points off the 45-7 blowout of the Dallas Cowboys and distributed them equally to all of the total scores of the losses they faced this year, they would be undefeated.

OP
OP
armand34

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh good, we're still whining about the media.

Good Lord. Here's the dirty little secret: He's right. We don't make the Playoffs without the Eagles pulling off that miracle and the Lions beating Tampa. That Sunday, despite our loss at New England, was one of if not the most important regular season Sundays of our season.

Again, I have no problems with this, and again I'm amazed at this whole "the media hates us" attitude of some of you.

what's to be amazed about, the guy is obviously not in the Packers corner and I'm pointing it out by posting it here

Peter Kind is a small portion of the Media and he decided to write about something negative about the Packers Success...why wouldn't that bother any packers fan?

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Because it's not negative! It's not a smear job! It's the facts. If that weekend doesn't happen, our Super Bowl run doesn't happen. It's a big part of the story of the 2010-11 Packers.

And of course he's not "in the Packers corner". He's a national journalist. They have classes on being unbiased.

OP
OP
armand34

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because it's not negative! It's not a smear job! It's the facts. If that weekend doesn't happen, our Super Bowl run doesn't happen. It's a big part of the story of the 2010-11 Packers.

And of course he's not "in the Packers corner". He's a national journalist. They have classes on being unbiased.

he's still bringing down the successful season the Packers have had, I don't agree w/ that choice of topics to write about...write about the injuries...write about the emergence of backups playing like starters...write about the leaders of the team going down w/ injury in the superbowl...write about the consistency of aaron rodgers the last 6 games...write about how dominating we would be if we didn't lose grant or finley...nah, let's write about how they are lucky to be there

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
Hell, I can do Peter King's job:

"The performance of Aaron Rodgers against the Steelers' defense was almost as good as the triple mocha frappuchino I had last week at that little out of the way place down in Soho where all us awesome cool beautiful people go. Now, here's a picture of some random cheerleader because there were none at this year's Super Bowl..."

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's "funny" how some of us (Myself included) takes some things against the Packers so personal.

Nothing at all wrong about having the passion one has for the Packers but we should all learn to pick our battles.
(And again, I'm including myself in that equation.)

I'm agreeing with Jess.
I don't see the big deal about this one.
Let the media say what they want.
Bottom line is the Lombardi is home and nothing they can write about will take it away or take away our pride.
We all should learn to let go on certain things.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
he's still bringing down the successful season the Packers have had, I don't agree w/ that choice of topics to write about...write about the injuries...write about the emergence of backups playing like starters...write about the leaders of the team going down w/ injury in the superbowl...write about the consistency of aaron rodgers the last 6 games...write about how dominating we would be if we didn't lose grant or finley...nah, let's write about how they are lucky to be there

He's not bringing anything down.

We were lucky to be in the Playoffs.

We needed Philly to come back from 21 down with 8 minutes left against NYG.

We needed Detroit to break a 27 game road losing streak against a very good Tampa team.

On the same weekend.

Both happened.

You don't think that's luck?

It doesn't diminish what we've done, it doesn't cheapen it, it's just a very interesting part of the story of this team. Hell, Rodgers even points to that weekend when asked where it all turned around this year.

OP
OP
armand34

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's "funny" how some of us (Myself included) takes some things against the Packers so personal.

Nothing at all wrong about having the passion one has for the Packers but we should all learn to pick our battles.
(And again, I'm including myself in that equation.)

I'm agreeing with Jess.
I don't see the big deal about this one.
Let the media say what they want.
Bottom line is the Lombardi is home and nothing they can write about will take it away or take away our pride.
We all should learn to let go on certain things.

you're right he can't take it away, but after reading this article I think peter king is an @$$hole

OP
OP
armand34

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's not bringing anything down.

We were lucky to be in the Playoffs.

We needed Philly to come back from 21 down with 8 minutes left against NYG.

We needed Detroit to break a 27 game road losing streak against a very good Tampa team.

On the same weekend.

Both happened.

You don't think that's luck?

It doesn't diminish what we've done, it doesn't cheapen it, it's just a very interesting part of the story of this team. Hell, Rodgers even points to that weekend when asked where it all turned around this year.

do I think that's it's luck that Mike Vick came back from a crazy deficit in an away game against the GIANTS...the eagles are a lucky team? they aren't "good"? I think the Giants got comfortable and played stupid and it just so happened to benefit us

the lions can play ball, beating the bucs was huge, do i think that was luck, don't know didn't watch the game

I really don't think you can consider any one team beating another team "lucky"

now desean running it back was lucky, but the game was already tied

the titans beating the bills in the Championship game, I think that could be considered lucky b/c the refs had no perspective of the ball being thrown forward

and just as lucky to have 16 players go on IR to be in that position

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts