Shut Out

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Rams pushed our defense around in the 1st half and I was getting nervous.
Second half adjustments led to our defense shutting them out in the second half.
Those type of adjustments can lead to championships.
I like that our coaching staff and players are able to make the necessary adjustments during a game.

12-2, man that is awesome.

Psycho

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i don't wanna ruin it for you! Yes, the packers are pretty good, but here is what my rams did this season in 2nd halfes:

(a guy from our forum posted that today)

Week 1 - 3 points
Week 2 - 3 points
Week 3 - 3 points
Week 4 - 0 points
Week 5 - 18 points
Week 6 - 3 points
Week 7 - 3 points
Week 8 - 3 points
Week 9 - Bye week
Week 10 - 20 points
Week 11 - 3 points
Week 12 - 0 points
Week 13 - 7 points
Week 14 - 10 points
Week 15 - 0 points

the Rams score 5.07 points in the second half of a game

OP
OP
Y

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i don't wanna ruin it for you! Yes, the packers are pretty good, but here is what my rams did this season in 2nd halfes:

Week 1 - 3 points
Week 2 - 3 points
Week 3 - 3 points
Week 4 - 0 points
Week 5 - 18 points
Week 6 - 3 points
Week 7 - 3 points
Week 8 - 3 points
Week 9 - Bye week
Week 10 - 20 points
Week 11 - 3 points
Week 12 - 0 points
Week 13 - 7 points
Week 14 - 10 points
Week 15 - 0 points

Too bad for the Rams. Last I heard they were still considered a professional football team.
The Packers are 12-2 in large part due to their ability to adjust their game when necessary.
The rams have a potentially very explosive offense and we shut em out in the 2nd half, I don't care what their record is.

Psycho

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Too bad for the Rams. Last I heard they were still considered a professional football team.
The Packers are 12-2 in large part due to their ability to adjust their game when necessary.
The rams have a potentially very explosive offense and we shut em out in the 2nd half, I don't care what their record is.

:)

The RAMS are 3-11 in large part due to their INability to adjust their game AT ALL.

:oops:

i just wanted to say: i'm sure the packers are great at adjusting - but don't base that on a game where you shut out a team that scores an average of 5!!!! points in the 2nd half (there's obviously something wrong with the rams)

next year though, with a healthy o-line, receivers and QB - the rams will be back in business - trust me

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the Rams could be a pretty good team next season, but the Packers are better!

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Week 1 - 3 points
Week 2 - 3 points
Week 3 - 3 points
Week 4 - 0 points
Week 5 - 18 points
Week 6 - 3 points
Week 7 - 3 points
Week 8 - 3 points
Week 9 - Bye week
Week 10 - 20 points
Week 11 - 3 points
Week 12 - 0 points
Week 13 - 7 points
Week 14 - 10 points
Week 15 - 0 points

Wow. That's pretty bad. What's the story? I'll bet Jackson's numbers reflect a similar disparity.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Psycho said:

Week 1 - 3 points
Week 2 - 3 points
Week 3 - 3 points
Week 4 - 0 points
Week 5 - 18 points
Week 6 - 3 points
Week 7 - 3 points
Week 8 - 3 points
Week 9 - Bye week
Week 10 - 20 points
Week 11 - 3 points
Week 12 - 0 points
Week 13 - 7 points
Week 14 - 10 points
Week 15 - 0 points

Wow. That's pretty bad. What's the story? I'll bet Jackson's numbers reflect a similar disparity.

one man can only do so much. he gets tired in the second half. he's an absolute beast, but all those muscles require a LOT of oxygen. too much, apparently!

uwbadger12000

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have played excellent in the second half the last few weeks. Here is what GB is outscoring St. Louis and Oakland in each halves.

First half: GB 31-21
Second half: GB 40-0

Also, the Packers have done very well in the second half.....

Eagles: 6
Giants: 28
Chargers: 14
Vikings: 13
Bears: 3
Redskins: 10
Bye
Broncos: 0 (6 in OT)
Chiefs: 27
Vikings: 21
Panthers: 10
Lions: 20
Cowboys: 10
Raiders: 24
Rams: 16

That is an average of 14.4 points per second half.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really improved in the second half of the season too.

Our halftime adjustments are a big reason we are 4th in scoring O and 6th in scoring D.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not just Jackson that tires out in the 2nd half.

Psycho - I only watched one Rams game and of course it was this one. So I'm basing my experiences on one game. This is what I noticed.

Your OL was holding up pretty well in the 1st half. I was expecting Bulger to be running for his life, but he was somewhat ok back there. Come 2nd half, your OL looked exhausted. Jackson no longer had ANY holes, and that's why he was so worn down. He had to fight off a tackler or 2 every time he hit the line of scrimmage.

Bulger had it worse. As soon as the 2nd half started, your OL just collapsed. Kampman got through. Our blitzes got through. Barnett sacked Bulger twice. Atari Bigby was a threat, and even though he didn't get Bulger, he gave him a good scare at least once.

I noticed Bulger was sick of taking the hits and hurrying his throws. He missed some easy throws he was making in the 1st half, and I think it was because of the pressure.

It's a shame for your team. I really like you guys. The Rams are a team I've never disliked. Bruce and Holt still have it, and Bulger put in some nice throws when he had time. But the reason you guys have such a bad record is your OL plain out sucks.

My hope for you is in the offseason, you can upgrade your OL. If you do, I expect you to have at least an 8-8 record, maybe even be playoff contenders.

Your D was the same in the 1st and 2nd half. The reason we got those 33 points is your special teams allowed us to have good field position all day long, and your O turned the ball over several times. We were able to exploit those mistakes.

Atogwe is a smart man. He has good football smarts, and was reading Favre like a book. Favre is one of the best QBs in the NFL at finding the guy who has single coverage on him, and your Safety tricked Favre not once, but twice. He earned those picks. That's really saying something, because Favre isn't easy to fool.

Best of luck to you in the offseason. Draft well, and do something to fix your OL and you'll be a contender next year. Jackson is a beast, but he can't carry defenders on his back all day. He needs some offensive line support or else he's going to be on the bench sucking oxygen instead of on the field eating the clock.

For the record, the Packers are really good against the run. Jackson getting 143 yards is really impressive. If you guys had a good OL, I'd fully expect Jackson to bust the 200 yard barrier in a game next year.

Psycho

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the Rams could be a pretty good team next season, but the Packers are better!

:shock:

:D

i'ma keep my mouth shut :roll:

all i know is that i'll be rooting for the packers in THIS YEAR'S playoffs

Psycho

Cheesehead
Reaction score

actually it's coaching and not giving jackson his carries in the 2nd half

when we're behind - even if it's only 1 score at HalfTime, we go into passing-mode and forget that we actually have a RB too :-?

and that's too bad, because actually, Jackson is one of those guys who gets STRONGER as the game goes on

and another problem Jackson sometimes has is his dancing - he ran hard and with authority against your D (just a thing of beauty to watch) - but sometimes he likes do dance too much behind the LOS (that's coaching again :( ) - when he does that, he will gain just 2-3 yards or maybe even lose some yards
that will also prompt our coaches to give up on the run

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since69 said:

actually it's coaching and not giving jackson his carries in the 2nd half

when we're behind - even if it's only 1 score at HalfTime, we go into passing-mode and forget that we actually have a RB too :-?

and that's too bad, because actually, Jackson is one of those guys who gets STRONGER as the game goes on

and another problem Jackson sometimes has is his dancing - he ran hard and with authority against your D (just a thing of beauty to watch) - but sometimes he likes do dance too much behind the LOS (that's coaching again :( ) - when he does that, he will gain just 2-3 yards or maybe even lose some yards
that will also prompt our coaches to give up on the run

I don't know if you read my long-winded post, but I think one problem with Jackson isn't Jackson, but your OL gets too winded to open holes for him in the 2nd half. I saw a heck of a lot more holes for Jackson in the 1st half, and next to nothing in the 2nd half.

In the 2nd half, he was hit at the line of scrimmage almost every time he touched the ball.

Psycho

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not just Jackson that tires out in the 2nd half.

Psycho - I only watched one Rams game and of course it was this one. So I'm basing my experiences on one game. This is what I noticed.

Your OL was holding up pretty well in the 1st half. I was expecting Bulger to be running for his life, but he was somewhat ok back there. Come 2nd half, your OL looked exhausted. Jackson no longer had ANY holes, and that's why he was so worn down. He had to fight off a tackler or 2 every time he hit the line of scrimmage.

Bulger had it worse. As soon as the 2nd half started, your OL just collapsed. Kampman got through. Our blitzes got through. Barnett sacked Bulger twice. Atari Bigby was a threat, and even though he didn't get Bulger, he gave him a good scare at least once.

I noticed Bulger was sick of taking the hits and hurrying his throws. He missed some easy throws he was making in the 1st half, and I think it was because of the pressure.

It's a shame for your team. I really like you guys. The Rams are a team I've never disliked. Bruce and Holt still have it, and Bulger put in some nice throws when he had time. But the reason you guys have such a bad record is your OL plain out sucks.

My hope for you is in the offseason, you can upgrade your OL. If you do, I expect you to have at least an 8-8 record, maybe even be playoff contenders.

Your D was the same in the 1st and 2nd half. The reason we got those 33 points is your special teams allowed us to have good field position all day long, and your O turned the ball over several times. We were able to exploit those mistakes.

Atogwe is a smart man. He has good football smarts, and was reading Favre like a book. Favre is one of the best QBs in the NFL at finding the guy who has single coverage on him, and your Safety tricked Favre not once, but twice. He earned those picks. That's really saying something, because Favre isn't easy to fool.

Best of luck to you in the offseason. Draft well, and do something to fix your OL and you'll be a contender next year. Jackson is a beast, but he can't carry defenders on his back all day. He needs some offensive line support or else he's going to be on the bench sucking oxygen instead of on the field eating the clock.

For the record, the Packers are really good against the run. Jackson getting 143 yards is really impressive. If you guys had a good OL, I'd fully expect Jackson to bust the 200 yard barrier in a game next year.

well - our OL sucks - you're absolutely right

for the first 8 weeks or so, we've had a different starting o-line EVERY WEEK

we have street-free-agents starting, we have linemen we picked up that the CARDINALS !!!! cut and we have 3 starters on IR

Atogwe is one of the best young safeties in the league - he's playing great at exatly the right time - his rookie contract is up --> $$$

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well - our OL sucks - you're absolutely right

for the first 8 weeks or so, we've had a different starting o-line EVERY WEEK

we have street-free-agents starting, we have linemen we picked up that the CARDINALS !!!! cut and we have 3 starters on IR

Atogwe is one of the best young safeties in the league - he's playing great at exatly the right time - his rookie contract is up --> $$$

Ah, you did read my long-winded post. ;)

Heh, we should make a shot at Atogwe. God knows we could use a Safety this good. If you don't want him, I know a team that does. :lol:

Psycho

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know if you read my long-winded post, but I think one problem with Jackson isn't Jackson, but your OL gets too winded to open holes for him in the 2nd half. I saw a heck of a lot more holes for Jackson in the 1st half, and next to nothing in the 2nd half.

In the 2nd half, he was hit at the line of scrimmage almost every time he touched the ball.

yep - but it's not conditioning

it's because the inability of our coaches to adjust,
and the ability of other coaches to do just that:

here's something interesting Steven Jackson said after the game:

in the first half, nick barnett was overly aggressive and we could use that to our advantage
in the second half, barnett was playing more like your typical LB - and it worked (for the packers) !!! (see - your coaches adjust the gameplan)

Psycho

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ah, you did read my long-winded post. ;)

Heh, we should make a shot at Atogwe. God knows we could use a Safety this good. If you don't want him, I know a team that does. :lol:

yeah - i read it :)

no no no - we want atogwe

he's gonna be a RFA and the FrontOffice would be NUTZ not to resign him (it's not gonna be cheap though)

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:

yep - but it's not conditioning

it's because the inability of our coaches to adjust,
and the ability of other coaches to do just that:

here's something interesting Steven Jackson said after the game:

in the first half, nick barnett was overly aggressive and we could use that to our advantage
in the second half, barnett was playing more like your typical LB - and it worked (for the packers) !!! (see - your coaches adjust the gameplan)

MM (our coach) is the master of halftime adjustments. Your coach unfortunately sucks at it.

I noticed all the adjustments we made worked, and the ones you made didn't.

I didn't think it was conditioning either. I think we found a way to get through your OL, and your team failed to keep it together.

So like I said in my original reply - you guys get yourself a good OL (and better coaching), and Jackson will have 200 yard games.

And I hope your team drops the ball with your RFA Safety and he somehow ends up in GB next year. ;)

Members online

Latest posts