Should we kick to Hester?

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if The ViQueens can kick and cover then there's no reason The Packers cant do the same. I really dont like the idea of chickening out of the duel with him. I know MM is a very intelligent coach but part of me justs wishes we would just swarm down there and creal Hester!

Yeah
BUT, Vikings have 7 ProBowlers on THEIR team we only have 4 so...

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
I think the Packers should kick directionally and try to pin Hester against the sidelines. If the ball goes out of bounds, fine. But I really hate the idea of kicking it out of bounds or short on kickoffs and giving them the 40 yard line every single time. And I don't like 20 yard punts either.

What do you think?

No. it is stupid to kick to Hester.

Why? He's the only person on the Bears who can score (besides Defensive TDs). Why put the ball in his hands? Give da B*ars the ball on their own 40 and watch them go 3 and out then punt. They'll do this all day. Or they'll start passing and what's his name will throw Harris, Spider Monkey, and Woodson the ball one time each.

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
I think the Packers should kick directionally and try to pin Hester against the sidelines. If the ball goes out of bounds, fine. But I really hate the idea of kicking it out of bounds or short on kickoffs and giving them the 40 yard line every single time. And I don't like 20 yard punts either.

What do you think?

Why? He's the only person on the Bears who can score (besides Defensive TDs). Why put the ball in his hands? Give da B*ars the ball on their own 40 and watch them go 3 and out then punt. They'll do this all day. Or they'll start passing and what's his name will throw Harris, Spider Monkey, and Woodson the ball one time each.

If Hester was the only person on the Bears who could score, the Packers would've had a shutout last time they played. They gave the Bears possession around the 40 yard line on every kickoff and were content to get 25-30 yards net on punts. As a result, the Bears had a huge field position advantage for the entire game, which allowed their paltry offense to put up enough points to win. The turnovers by the Packers helped too, of course.

KGB94SACKEM

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Greg C. said:

What do you think?

If Hester was the only person on the Bears who could score, the Packers would've had a shutout last time they played. They gave the Bears possession around the 40 yard line on every kickoff and were content to get 25-30 yards net on punts. As a result, the Bears had a huge field position advantage for the entire game, which allowed their paltry offense to put up enough points to win. The turnovers by the Packers helped too, of course.

VERY GOOD POINT!

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

Greg - Them from that week is an entirely different team than now. Now, they're all beat up. Their #1 RB is out for the season. Their #3 QB is starting. If I'm not mistaken, they have OL problems now. As bad as Rex Grossman is, this guy is even worse. I know that sounds like a stretch, but it's true.

Plus, we turned the ball over 5 times in that game. That's how they were able to get 27 points. If we turn the ball over 5 times again, they'll get 20 points, tops.

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lets not kick to hester. every time he returns a kick, it pumps up his teammates. Not to mention, the game is in Chicago. Talk about a momentum swing. Kick it out of bounds if we have to. Kyle Orton isnt leading any team 60 yards with his "3 yard dump off" skills.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:
lets not kick to hester. every time he returns a kick, it pumps up his teammates. Not to mention, the game is in Chicago. Talk about a momentum swing. Kick it out of bounds if we have to. Kyle Orton isnt leading any team 60 yards with his "3 yard dump off" skills.

no way.

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

Greg - Them from that week is an entirely different team than now. Now, they're all beat up. Their #1 RB is out for the season. Their #3 QB is starting. If I'm not mistaken, they have OL problems now. As bad as Rex Grossman is, this guy is even worse. I know that sounds like a stretch, but it's true.

Plus, we turned the ball over 5 times in that game. That's how they were able to get 27 points. If we turn the ball over 5 times again, they'll get 20 points, tops.

Brian Griese played mistake-free football in that first game. Could Orton do the same? Probably not, but you never know. Griese played like garbage against the Lions the week before he played against the Packers.

If the Bears offense is as bad as it was against the Vikings, there's no need to kick to Hester. I'm just not so sure they won't play a little over their heads against the Packers again. By the way, here's Peter King's prediction for the game:

Green Bay Packers (12-2) at Chicago Bears (5-9)
It's the last time the Bears will have anything to play for, and I have a feeling Donald Driver's preseason comments about how he knows the Packers are the best team in the division (after the Bears won the NFC last year) will find their way to a bulletin board in Bearland this week.

Bears 19, Packers 17

I think he's wrong, but if the Bears win, it will be an ugly score like that. Their defense is still good enough to keep them in any game.

It's interesting that before the first game, the Packers said they were going to kick to Hester, but they didn't. Now they say they are going to kick away from him:

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=699000

wischeez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Greg C. said:

Brian Griese played mistake-free football in that first game. Could Orton do the same? Probably not, but you never know. Griese played like garbage against the Lions the week before he played against the Packers.

If the Bears offense is as bad as it was against the Vikings, there's no need to kick to Hester. I'm just not so sure they won't play a little over their heads against the Packers again. By the way, here's Peter King's prediction for the game:

It's the last time the Bears will have anything to play for, and I have a feeling Donald Driver's preseason comments about how he knows the Packers are the best team in the division (after the Bears won the NFC last year) will find their way to a bulletin board in Bearland this week.

Bears 19, Packers 17

I think he's wrong, but if the Bears win, it will be an ugly score like that. Their defense is still good enough to keep them in any game.

It's interesting that before the first game, the Packers said they were going to kick to Hester, but they didn't. Now they say they are going to kick away from him:

And he picked the Rams to beat up on the Steelers too! Rams 21 Steelers 16 :D

KGB94SACKEM

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Bears can't move the bll very well, and THATS the reason we SHOULD kick to Hester. Tackle Hester at the 25 and they have to go 40-45 yards to have a legit FG shot. Give them the ball at the 40 and in 2 passes they could be within range.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Greg C. said:

Bears 19, Packers 17

My gosh! I wish people would put their money where their mouth is. As a man who bets every game, I'd love to take his money. I'm giving the guy I'm betting 10 points because 8 points (where it's at now) isn't even fair.

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not a believer in Special Teams phenoms. Eventually they die out.

But no, we shouldn't kick to him. We should go for it on every 4th down. What are they gonna do? Stop us? LOL

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Bears can't move the bll very well, and THATS the reason we SHOULD kick to Hester. Tackle Hester at the 25 and they have to go 40-45 yards to have a legit FG shot. Give them the ball at the 40 and in 2 passes they could be within range.
Good point. Plus, with as nasty as i think the field will be this weekend, he may not have that "burst" that he has had so far this year.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tiger said:
if The ViQueens can kick and cover then there's no reason The Packers cant do the same. I really dont like the idea of chickening out of the duel with him. I know MM is a very intelligent coach but part of me justs wishes we would just swarm down there and creal Hester!

Yeah
No no no........you misread it.......the Vikings have 7 pro BOWLERS on their team.....not "probowlers! :wink: :lol:

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obi1 said:
Tiger said:

Yeah
No no no........you misread it.......the Vikings have 7 pro BOWLERS on their team.....not "probowlers! :wink: :lol:

That's what I meant! YOU still stole my joke!
LOL...

johnny_blood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Bears can only score enough to win by getting turnovers and scoring on special teams. So I do not think we should kick to him.

johnny_blood

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The linchpin here is "tackle Hester at the 25." If it were that simple we wouldn't be hearing this debate for every Bears game.

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
johnny_blood said:

The linchpin here is "tackle Hester at the 25." If it were that simple we wouldn't be hearing this debate for every Bears game.

Here are some interesting numbers from that article in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:

"According to figures the Bears have released, the amount of times teams have kicked to Hester and kicked away from him are almost equal. The Bears' average starting field position when Hester fields the ball is the 31.1-yard line. Their average starting position when Hester doesn't field it is their own 37.6"

So the stats suggest you kick to him, at least on kickoffs.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
Obi1 said:
Tiger said:

Yeah

That's what I meant! YOU still stole my joke!
LOL...
OppS! :oops:
I didn't know thats what you meant!!!
(Hope the "comedy Police" arn't watching this thread!!!) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Here are some interesting numbers from that article in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:

"According to figures the Bears have released, the amount of times teams have kicked to Hester and kicked away from him are almost equal. The Bears' average starting field position when Hester fields the ball is the 31.1-yard line. Their average starting position when Hester doesn't field it is their own 37.6"

Here's the thing that they didn't factor in - how many TDs were scored by Hester by kicking to him? How many TDs were scored by not kicking to him?

I rest my case.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

Here's the thing that they didn't factor in - how many TDs were scored by Hester by kicking to him? How many TDs were scored by not kicking to him?

I rest my case.
I DRINK my case. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:
Greg C. said:

I rest my case.
I DRINK my case. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I haven't had a beer in over 2 weeks. I drink on a daily basis, but lately it's been wine and vodka in guava juice, which surprisingly is pretty good.

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I rest my case.

It's 2 to 0 this year. Point taken. On the other hand, I wonder how much more likely the Bears are to score when given a short field. It's all about percentages. There are hidden costs to avoiding Hester.

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM is a genius. Here was his plan in review: Only score 1 td. Therefore, you only have to kick off twice. He had an even better idea in the punt game. In the unlikely event that they do get off a punt, kick it sideways or through the endzone for a net of 20 yards.

The man is pure genius I tell you. First, he intentionally loses in Dallas, because he has a preminition on how his team plays in the cold. Then, he plays keep away from Hester.

(only 3 days until the Bear v Packer game is history and cant be talked about again)

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM is a genius. Here was his plan in review: Only score 1 td. Therefore, you only have to kick off twice. He had an even better idea in the punt game. In the unlikely event that they do get off a punt, kick it sideways or through the endzone for a net of 20 yards.

The man is pure genius I tell you. First, he intentionally loses in Dallas, because he has a preminition on how his team plays in the cold. Then, he plays keep away from Hester.

(only 3 days until the Bear v Packer game is history and cant be talked about again)
Well.....have fun while ya can 4th! After all......your season ends in 4 days!

Members online

Latest posts