should we even expect immediate help from the draft?

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This could be a fair argument. Everyone knows I was a fan of even trading Linsley last year for something and starting Patrick - it was honestly why I felt we extended him like we did, get a cheap peak at what you have before maybe signing him longer and more lucrative.

Again though Turner can be a Tackle option once Bahk comes back, but we presently don't have the other Tackle till then IMO.

We do have Mercedes Lewis to help.

OP
OP
S

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only problem with cobbling the OLine is if Rodgers gets hurt because of that it doesn't matter when Bakh gets back or who your DBs are.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only problem with cobbling the OLine is if Rodgers gets hurt because of that it doesn't matter when Bakh gets back or who your DBs are.

I absolutely agree. I think they need to draft an OT in this class, if not two.

I also think CB is a huge need.

OP
OP
S

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the same page. A OT & CB either day 1 or 2. Then best available OL & DB on day 3. Without reaching. Wishful thinking.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Sure King and the others behind him have experience, but they’re still not good. Experience at playing poorly doesn’t mean a lot to me.

Lucas Patrick hadn’t started a lot, but every time he’s played he’s been better at his position than Sullivan has at it. I think we can cobble the OL enough before Bakh gets back easier than we can the CB position. We are bad there.
Disclaimer: PFF is a tool. No one is sure of how good a tool it is.

in 2020, PFF graded our poorly playing CB’s (King, Jackson , Hollman, Sullivan and also threw in Greene) between 52–62 which appears to me to be at or slightly below league average. I wouldn’t classify that as playing poorly. They get noticed because Alexander gave up close to nothing last year. I expect Sullivan and Hollman to continue improving and think that King has already had better years than 2020 .
I still expect to see at least 2 CB’s drafted because of starters expiring contracts after next season.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I absolutely agree. I think they need to draft an OT in this class, if not two.

I also think CB is a huge need.
I see us ending up with 11 draft picks.

Edge/DL - 2
CB - 2
WR - 2
DL - 1
OL - 1
RB - 1
TE - 1
S - 1

One of the CB/WR/RB will be a proven punt returner.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see us ending up with 11 draft picks.

Edge/DL - 2
CB - 2
WR - 2
DL - 1
OL - 1
RB - 1
TE - 1
S - 1

One of the CB/WR/RB will be a proven punt returner.

Here's something crazy...we line up very close using my latest mock of a trade back (29/256 for 40/114/237) and up (114/214 for 104) scenario I ran today on my lunch:

Creed Humphrey @ 40 - C/iOL
Milton Williams @ 62 - DE/DT
Benjamin St. Juste @ 92 CB
Cameron Sample @ 104 - DL
Dez Fitzpatrick @ 135 - WR
Jaelon Darden @ 142 - WR
Tre McKitty @ 173 - TE
Darrick Forrest @ 220 - S
Landon Young @ 237 - OT

Had I not traded back up solid chance there is another pure CB drafted or RB which would nearly align us identical save one position.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Disclaimer: PFF is a tool. No one is sure of how good a tool it is.

in 2020, PFF graded our poorly playing CB’s (King, Jackson , Hollman, Sullivan and also threw in Greene) between 52–62 which appears to me to be at or slightly below league average. I wouldn’t classify that as playing poorly. They get noticed because Alexander gave up close to nothing last year. I expect Sullivan and Hollman to continue improving and think that King has already had better years than 2020 .
I still expect to see at least 2 CB’s drafted because of starters expiring contracts after next season.

I saw with mine own two eyes that Sullivan just isn’t athletic enough to be good over an entire season in the role they had him him. Jackson was an inactive at crucial parts of the season for a team that had mediocre CB play. Should tell you what the team though of him. Hollman didn’t play enough to gather any useful information. Raven Greene played sub-package LB, so why he’s in a conversation about CB’s is anybody’s guess. I really don’t care what PFF says about our players, I watch them enough to have a decent idea on their capabilities.

OP
OP
S

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will play. 9 picks and 1 free agent. I am hoping we trade a 4 & 5 or 4 & 6 or 5 & 6 for picks early in round 4 or 5.

2- OL one has to be a tackle and one has to play 2 positions
2- DB one has to be a CB. Would be nice if the other was a safety who could also play the slot
2- DL one for a 4 man front and the other when in a 3 man
2- WR - A slot, jet sweep motion guy and a punt returner who can also compete for snaps
1- RB - pass catcher
1- I only take an ILB if he is a top 60 player on their board. Otherwise I use that last pick on a TE.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Here's something crazy...we line up very close using my latest mock of a trade back (29/256 for 40/114/237) and up (114/214 for 104) scenario I ran today on my lunch:

Creed Humphrey @ 40 - C/iOL
Milton Williams @ 62 - DE/DT
Benjamin St. Juste @ 92 CB
Cameron Sample @ 104 - DL
Dez Fitzpatrick @ 135 - WR
Jaelon Darden @ 142 - WR
Tre McKitty @ 173 - TE
Darrick Forrest @ 220 - S
Landon Young @ 237 - OT

Had I not traded back up solid chance there is another pure CB drafted or RB which would nearly align us identical save one position.
You and I seem to think quite a bit the same though I think I value more draft picks in number greater than you. I’d like to see us get 12 picks this year but I’d settle for 11.
One other thing I noticed. I don’t think you’re getting fair value for your 29th pick. When you trade out of the first round, you should expect a premium of value in return. I use the Harvard value chart and it shows me Denver got the best of you in that trade.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I will play. 9 picks and 1 free agent. I am hoping we trade a 4 & 5 or 4 & 6 or 5 & 6 for picks early in round 4 or 5.

2- OL one has to be a tackle and one has to play 2 positions
2- DB one has to be a CB. Would be nice if the other was a safety who could also play the slot
2- DL one for a 4 man front and the other when in a 3 man
2- WR - A slot, jet sweep motion guy and a punt returner who can also compete for snaps
1- RB - pass catcher
1- I only take an ILB if he is a top 60 player on their board. Otherwise I use that last pick on a TE.
I can envision a scenario where we get Feleipe Franks in the 6th or 7th and him starting out in camp as a QB but eventually ending up as a tight end. He brings a significant athletic presence to the field.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Our own Taysom Hill experiment?
He did come to mind though the first time I watched Franks, his size and build and athletic attitude reminded me of Matt Jones and Terrell Pryor without that incredible speed they had.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Our own Taysom Hill experiment?

The comp you'd be hoping for in a move like that is Logan Thomas.

Coming out of Va. Tech (as a QB), he was 6'6" 248 lbs, ran a 4.61, 35.5" vert, 118" broad, 7.05 3C, and 4.18 shuttle.

He had 72/670/6 last year as a TE in Washington.

Franks is 6'6" 234, ran a 4.61, had a 32.5" vert, 117" broad, 7.16 3C, and 4.22 shuttle.

That's a really good call from @PikeBadger

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think if we grabbed someone like Cade Johnson (not sure why his draft stock is falling, I like the kid) or Anthony Schwartz, I can see them contributing via special teams. Schwartz is crazy fast but not much of a WR and catching ability is suspect. Cade offers a lot more and can take on that Tyler Ervin roll.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I think if we grabbed someone like Cade Johnson (not sure why his draft stock is falling, I like the kid) or Anthony Schwartz, I can see them contributing via special teams. Schwartz is crazy fast but not much of a WR and catching ability is suspect. Cade offers a lot more and can take on that Tyler Ervin roll.

Johnson's stock might be falling since the Sr. Bowl in the eyes of fans because he was such a poor tester.

It's hard to get excited about an older prospect from the FCS who isn't a good athlete.

I know he lit it up at the Sr. Bowl, and it would seem that he's advanced at the skill set of the position. But I doubt he's a successful pro.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts