Should They Pull the Trigger?

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Ron Wolf (who has been seen a lot lately at Ted Thompson's side) made a daring move and pulled the trigger, paying big bucks to bring in Reggie White and give the Packers the power they needed to go all the way. Should the Packers pull the trigger this time around and offer Revis the big bucks to come solidify the D?

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Two words- **** NO.

Sorry, but no cornerback in the league is worth what he's asking. Besides, he would be very expenisve- at least a first and a third, plus the $16 Mil/year he's asking. That's a ridiculous salary to pay a guy who's just gonna hold out half way into his next contract because someone else is making more than he is.

Arrigo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is not a FA, it would have to be a trade & sign. The jets would want AT LEAST two 1sts a 3rd and a player (not NOT a scrub) for Revis. It won't happen.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is not a FA, it would have to be a trade & sign. The jets would want AT LEAST two 1sts a 3rd and a player (not NOT a scrub) for Revis. It won't happen.
Exactly. Reggie was a free agent. revis was drafted just a couple picks away from Harrell. Who got more for their buck?

/thread

PApackersfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Making an offer wouldn't hurt. But the Jets have as much of a chance of a superbowl run as us, so i dont think Revis would have a problem, the franchise might. But their is nothing wrong with taking a chance and making a sensible offer. Personally i'd spend the money on a big O-lineman.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would.

But as far as Free Agents go I cant think of any major ones that I would have pulled the trigger on in recent years. There really hasnt been much quality talent to pick up. Julius Peppers? No thanks. Albert Hanesworth? No thanks.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Even if we did want him really bad, we really can't afford him.. the guy wants 150 -160 (can't remember) million over 10 years..

all that for a CORNERBACK? Ha!

OP
OP
Croak

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
So is everyone comfortable with the Packer secondary as it stands? If not, what are some possible solutions?

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Or we can make an offer to Arizona for DRC.. that team is in dire straits from my point of view.. they needs much more than CB help.. I say we trade em Jarret Bush and a 2nd rounder for DRC.

gbpack12_2_89

Bleeding Green and Gold
Reaction score
Or we can make an offer to Arizona for DRC.. that team is in dire straits from my point of view.. they needs much more than CB help.. I say we trade em Jarret Bush and a 2nd rounder for DRC.

Trade them Graham Harrel (i think thats our 3 QB's name) Jarret Bush (just to get him off this damn team) and our 1st (it will be pick number 32 anyways lol) No but honstely maybe a 2nd and like a 6th pick for DRC

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've already posted reasons why our secondary will be fine. As mentioned previously in another thread, a good pass rush can go a long way towards covering for a soft secondary and CB's are much easier to game plan for than a pass rush.

If you want to try and finagle a trade for a decent, mid-level guy like DRC, that's fine. But there's no need to mortgage the future just to get one guy, especially when you can get a lot of good talent for the same money he's asking.

OP
OP
Croak

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I've already posted reasons why our secondary will be fine. As mentioned previously in another thread, a good pass rush can go a long way towards covering for a soft secondary and CB's are much easier to game plan for than a pass rush.

If you want to try and finagle a trade for a decent, mid-level guy like DRC, that's fine. But there's no need to mortgage the future just to get one guy, especially when you can get a lot of good talent for the same money he's asking.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, except that I think the Packer are in trouble with their secondary. But I wonder if some said the same thing to Ron Wolf; why mortgage the future on a guy like Reggie White? Just wondering. So far a lot of these responses have been thoughtful.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IIRC, there wasn't a salary cap when the packers picked up Reggie White, so there was no mortgage of the future. While there is currently no salary cap, throwing that much money at Darrel Revis would put us in a pickle when it comes back.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder what we could get from Oakland, Kansas City, or Denver for Spitz.

The Green Bay Packers have received one or more calls asking if offensive lineman Jason Spitz is available in a trade, while other teams are waiting to see whether he or teammate Evan Dietrich-Smith will be released on Saturday, NFL sources said this week.

There are a number of teams around the NFL who are in the market for a center, which appears to be Spitz's best position and may be Dietrich-Smith's as well. Spitz has started 45 games, but only eight have been at center. The others were at left guard (eight) and right guard (29).

Among the teams that may be looking for centers are Oakland, Philadelphia, Kansas City, Denver and Houston, while a host of others might be looking for a guard. One of the sources said he knew for sure the Packers had been contacted about Spitz, but he declined to name the inquiring team.

Another source from a different team said he was interested to see whether the Packers released either Spitz or Dietrich-Smith. A number of other teams undoubtedly are keeping a close eye on what the Packers do when rosters are cut to 53 on Saturday.

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
See, that could get interesting. I'd be comfortable with trading either Spitz or Dietrich-Smith for a good corner. I'd prefer to trade Dietrich-Smith instead of Spitz, but I think that kind of deal would offer solid value.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Revis thinks he ***** gold. I think trading him would be worth a 1st and a 3rd round pick, but even if you did get a trade, he still would want a ridiculous amount of money and he's not worth $16M a year. Plus he's shown he's a egomaniac.

I'm of the philosophy, stop the ball before it can be thrown or rattle the passer with a hellacious pass rush. So gimme a guys who can collapse the pocket over a top end DB who covers only 1 guy or one part of the field a down. What happens if the opposing team has tons of weapons. So Revis shuts down one of them, what about the other 2 or 3 guys out running routes. Nope, gimme a Reggie White guy who can destroy the pocket and force the QB to make fast/bad decision anyday and get sacks. It also forces the opposing offense to go into max protect so less guys out running routes down field.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Revis thinks he ***** gold. I think trading him would be worth a 1st and a 3rd round pick, but even if you did get a trade, he still would want a ridiculous amount of money and he's not worth $16M a year. Plus he's shown he's a egomaniac.

I'm of the philosophy, stop the ball before it can be thrown or rattle the passer with a hellacious pass rush. So gimme a guys who can collapse the pocket over a top end DB who covers only 1 guy or one part of the field a down. What happens if the opposing team has tons of weapons. So Revis shuts down one of them, what about the other 2 or 3 guys out running routes. Nope, gimme a Reggie White guy who can destroy the pocket and force the QB to make fast/bad decision anyday and get sacks. It also forces the opposing offense to go into max protect so less guys out running routes down field.

Yup, and that's precisely what I think is going to happen this season and why I think we'll be fine.

We're gonna have Clay Matthews starting opposite Cullen Jenkins. Last year opposing offenses could simply load up one side of the ball to stop or slow both of them down. This year they'll have to guess again.

Also opposite Clay Matthews will be Brad Jones, who made several very good plays last season despite being only a 7th round draft pick and playing for half a season. Seriously the kid has potential. A second year in Caper's system as the starter should be a mass improvement.

Mike Neal has been a beast all preseason, getting double and triple teamed and still managing to get pressure on the QB. There's only 5 guys on that line, so if two are used for him, you put three to cover Jenkins, Raji and Pickett. Jenkins usually requires a double team by himself, so now you have a mis-match problem.

So they'll pop in a RB or a TE or some combination thereof to try and pick up Matthews, Jones, Raji or Pickett. Again, you'll have a mis-match problem, and while offenses will certainly get some plays off, it's not going to be very comfortable for them.

And that's exactly what we want.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Yup, and that's precisely what I think is going to happen this season and why I think we'll be fine.

We're gonna have Clay Matthews starting opposite Cullen Jenkins. Last year opposing offenses could simply load up one side of the ball to stop or slow both of them down. This year they'll have to guess again.

Also opposite Clay Matthews will be Brad Jones, who made several very good plays last season despite being only a 7th round draft pick and playing for half a season. Seriously the kid has potential. A second year in Caper's system as the starter should be a mass improvement.

Mike Neal has been a beast all preseason, getting double and triple teamed and still managing to get pressure on the QB. There's only 5 guys on that line, so if two are used for him, you put three to cover Jenkins, Raji and Pickett. Jenkins usually requires a double team by himself, so now you have a mis-match problem.

So they'll pop in a RB or a TE or some combination thereof to try and pick up Matthews, Jones, Raji or Pickett. Again, you'll have a mis-match problem, and while offenses will certainly get some plays off, it's not going to be very comfortable for them.

And that's exactly what we want.

I agree with you. I thought I saw Raji getting Triple teamed in some preseason games. 2nd year of Capers system, more complex blitzes, with all those guys rushing I think we'll be fine this year in our secondary if they can get some pass rush going consistently.

OP
OP
Croak

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score

From what we saw in the pre-season, does everyone think we had the kind of pressure that took the heat off the secondary?

davepyne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There may be some serviceable free agent CBs out there to fill out our depth at that position. One that I saw today is Brandon McDonald of the Browns who was a starter for most of his 3 years there. Might be a good pick up. Not bad stats, got 5 INT's in 2008!

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
From what we saw in the pre-season, does everyone think we had the kind of pressure that took the heat off the secondary?

Never had all the 1st stingers out there at the same time or saw much more than nickle/dime packages without much blitzing. But yeah, I think I saw enough that we'll have a pass rush to take some pressure off.

Members online

Latest posts