Should there be a 17 game season

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That won't happen because of the emphasis on making the game safer.

Sorry, but I don't recall an inordinate amount of injuries on onside kicks. This whole "making the game safer" nonsense is killing it slowly but surely. We're talking about running a single play from the 25 yard line now to get to the 40 as an alternative? And guys won't get hurt on those plays? Hell, why not just estimate that a team has a 1 in 6 chance to convert a 15 yard play and just roll a damn die? It could work like this:

1 - opponent's ball on the 20
2 - opponent's ball on the 25
3 - opponent's ball on the 30
4 - opponent's ball on the 35
5 - opponent's ball on the 40
6 - your ball on the 40

They could even have a machine roll the die to cut down on wrist injuries.

D

Deleted member 6794

Really? A 2nd bye week later in the season would have no value to players and allow them time to recover? IMHO this would also help the rookies recover from "the wall" that many hit at game 12 or 13. If this makes no sense for players health ask Emmanuel Sanders the value of a bye week (which he missed by getting traded).

An additional bye week wouldn't make up for having to play in another regular season game, therefore definitely not making it any safer for the players. On top of it the player association wouldn't agree to extend the season by two weeks.

Sorry, but I don't recall an inordinate amount of injuries on onside kicks. This whole "making the game safer" nonsense is killing it slowly but surely. We're talking about running a single play from the 25 yard line now to get to the 40 as an alternative? And guys won't get hurt on those plays? Hell, why not just estimate that a team has a 1 in 6 chance to convert a 15 yard play and just roll a damn die? It could work like this:

1 - opponent's ball on the 20
2 - opponent's ball on the 25
3 - opponent's ball on the 30
4 - opponent's ball on the 35
5 - opponent's ball on the 40
6 - your ball on the 40

They could even have a machine roll the die to cut down on wrist injuries.

I don't like the idea of eliminating kickoffs either but according to several studies it's the most dangerous play in football. Like it or not, the league will continue trying to make the game safer moving forward.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
On top of it the player association wouldn't agree to extend the season by two weeks.
Eliminate two preseason games and the season from camp opening to cleaning out lockers is not any longer. I would add a full off week after preseason to do all the HoF stuff as a lead up to the Thurs night season kickoff. And if you are concerned about players health, get rid of all the other Thurs games after that one including Thanksgiving, Let the college conference championships take that day over.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't like the idea of eliminating kickoffs either but according to several studies it's the most dangerous play in football. Like it or not, the league will continue trying to make the game safer moving forward.

I'm talking specifically about ONSIDE kicks, not full length kickoffs.

H

HardRightEdge

I did a quick google search to see how the CBA negotiations are going and got a kick out of this:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...s-progressing-deal-needs-economics-ironed-out

The "economics still need to be ironed out". LOL What else is there? Are we to believe the NFLPA would categorically resist the 17 game schedule regardless of concessions? LOL again.

There's an obvious problem with the 17 game schedule that isn't getting much ink. Some teams will get 9 home games, the others 8. That could be solved, I suppose, by having everybody play one game on a neutral field, 8 games each in London and Mexico City for example. I doubt those venues could draw enough interest without an actual home team. I'm sure Jerry's got it all figured out. ;)

Possible changes to the rookie salary scale are mentioned. I wonder what that means. More money to the rookies or less? If I had to guess I'd say less since the guys already in the league are the voters. If so, that would increase the value of draft picks that much more over the big increase in value from the last CBA.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

As for kickoffs, the NFL's plan is bore us into submission to the point where we don't care if they kill kickoffs altogether. They're doing a pretty good job of it.

I think this test concept in the Pro Bowl is pretty silly. It only makes sense at the end of the half when there are so few seconds on the clock that the other team won't be able to come back and kick for a cheap 3 points. Even so, what would you run if you have only one play before time runs out from your own 28? Some ugly, gimmicky bunch of laterals? That will get somebody injured. Just pooch kick it and get off the field like normal.

That leaves the end of the game. The situation may not even arise in the Pro Bowl. What kind of test is it that's run once or not at all?

They should move the starting point further forward so if it fails the opponent doesn't get cheap points. That's the case with the on-side kick. I would like to see them try something along the lines of a 40 yard line starting point after a FG and the 50 yard line after a TD. No cheap FGs and a premium placed on what this game is really about: scoring TDs. Teams might avail themselves of that 50 yard starting point throughout games. It would also curtail a lot of that late game prevent D with a two score lead which could evaporate more quickly under this approach.

And they should run it through preseason to see how it pans out. The Pro Bowl is just running a flag up to see who salutes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like there to be 17 regular season games. To make it work, however, I think:
- Training Camp should be 1 week longer (start mid-July) to help get players up to speed (mentally & physically) which will help with evaluations.
- Preseason should be shortened to 2 games.
- An extra bye week added. Each team should have a bye between weeks 5-8, and also weeks 10-13.
- Rather than modify salary cap I'd like rosters expanded to 55.
- Would also like it if Injured Reserve rules were expanded to 3 or 4 players. This allows teams to field healthy guys AND be more competitive towards the end of the season.
- Leave the back-end (playoffs & Super Bowl) alone, modify the front end.

That is precisely how I feel, which makes you absolutely correct. Add 2 to the game day active roster and especially eliminate Thursday football. .

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Has anyone revealed what the 17th game might consist of? Would it be another game based on your division ranking? In other words, if you finished first in your division, would you be playing another first place team in the 17th game? Just thinking that if so, it would further penalize success.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's an obvious problem with the 17 game schedule that isn't getting much ink. Some teams will get 9 home games, the others 8.
Yeah, I don't care for that. Half the teams will have an advantage. My guess is they take the 16 teams with the worst records, and give them the extra home games the following year. At least that way it's encouraging parity.

Jason Edens

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they add a 17th game they really need to allow for a deeper roster. I am not opposed to dropping the 1 preseason game to add 1 regular season game. 4 games for the preseason is too much. I wouldn't be opposed to dropping 2 preseason games and allowing the teams to have a deeper practice squad and add a second bye for everyone as well. The preseason is the same as a scrimmage. Allow the teams to scrimmage and evaluate talent in their own way. A development league could be a great way to evaluate young talent while allowing the pros to workout and have time to heal throughout the season. And the NFL could get more money with a longer regular season. Nineteen weeks of regular season ball instead of Seventeen, the players effectively play the same season, with 1 more game that means something.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like Watt is against this idea. Good for him.

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The NFL will go to 17 games and do whatever else they can to make more cash. Then the players will do what the NBA guys are doing and take games off for no reason except rest. Makes for great drama. Tim Boyle vs. any other nobody. Can't wait

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Want to fix the onside kick? Make the Team declare that they are doing it and this allows them to go back to the old onside kickoff ways (over balance one side and a running start). this will actually make the end of games more exciting. They can still do "surprise onside kicks" during the game, but under the new rules. Onside kicks that take place near the end of the games were never a surprise anyway and I don't recall injuries occurring during them.

Or to add some surprise element to it, if a team wants to attempt an onside kick, they don't have to declare it, they can motion all 11 men before the kick, into more of the old way of doing onside kicks, but the ball has to travel no more than 15 yards or it is a penalty.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...t-of-proposed-collective-bargaining-agreement

Looking at the full terms it appears that the players making NFL minimum, who's careers will likely be shorter, will benefit more than the higher salary players.

Minimum salaries
-- $100K increase in 2020 for Rookie Minimums, another $50K increase in 2021 and then $45K increase each year after
-- At least $90K increase in 2020 for other minimum salaried players; $80K to $105K increase in 2021 and then $45K increase each year after

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like Watt is against this idea. Good for him.

Watt plays in about 5 games a season, so he won't have to worry about that extra game.

I'm all for the extra game. 3 preseason games seems about right.

I'd also be a fan for all teams who win their respective divisions to have a bye if there is an extra playoff weekend.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
how about this:

make the onside kick 8 yards instead of 10.

As far as games, get rid of the pre-season entirely, pay 16 and play 2 exhibition games at the start that dont count.

I think the NFL should increase team rosters to 56...more depth means more players and more opportunities, and adjust salary cap accordingly.

the pro bowl should be gone and all-pro team announced by the nfl and the coaches deciding.

make thursday night games be saturday night games. keep monday nights.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Make every kickoff, 4th and 15. You can kickoff normally, or run a play. A fake would be lining up to kick when suddenly your entire line up condenses to a normal play and a player hikes the ball off the special collapsible tee.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Make every kickoff, 4th and 15. You can kickoff normally, or run a play. A fake would be lining up to kick when suddenly your entire line up condenses to a normal play and a player hikes the ball off the special collapsible tee.

I think look at something that has like a 5% success rate. 4th and 15 seems a little too makeable to me. If I'm KC I'm probably doing that often with 4th and 15. Maybe 4th and 20. (nobody say 4th and 26!)

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think look at something that has like a 5% success rate. 4th and 15 seems a little too makeable to me. If I'm KC I'm probably doing that often with 4th and 15. Maybe 4th and 20. (nobody say 4th and 26!)
If you fail, the other team is already in FG range. Not sure that would work out for KC. They would have to convert 75% of the time. But 4th and 20 works for me.

Members online

Latest posts