Should there be a 17 game season

Reaction score
I did the same. I coupled it with Roku and already had NetFlix and Prime. I now pay about half of what I did for DISHTV who always seemed like they were in dispute and blacked out of a local channel, the Big10 Network or FOX Sports. Meh.....love my YouTube TV for all the things you pointed out and more.

If you don't have a Roku device, grab one, so worth the one time fee of $30-70. It opens up so many other streaming options.
forgive me mods for the unrelated thread comment.
thank you for that information.
I just moved into a new home and was looking for an alternate option. I already have a Roku I bought in like 2012 or so, I just assumed it was obsolete.

Old Guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Easier said than done.

The problem is, the trend with the 25 and under generation is streaming onto phones or portable devices. So if the NFL wants to attract younger fans, they will need to make sure their product is available to them via streaming. That format is very easy to a young fan, but to an older fan, not so much. For an older fan, it's Rabbit ears or cable/satellite. Throw on top of that all the different networks that want exclusive coverage and their share of the pie.

This is no longer football of the 80 and 90's, where you turn your TV on and tune into the local game. For many, if they want to watch the game, it takes some effort.

Whoever thought satellite would be old guys? But your right about the kids and streaming. But as they get older, (30's) they see the value of sitting down with friends or fantasy mates and watching it in a group setting. The need to socialize is a human thing.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
But as they get older, (30's) they see the value of sitting down with friends or fantasy mates and watching it in a group setting. The need to socialize is a human thing.

While I agree with your thinking of how it "Should be", we really don't know how it "Will be". The current 25 and under crowd are the first generation to grow up surrounded by the internet and constant access to it via phones and computers. So I don't think we really know how this generation will look in 20 years or even 5 years. I could make the argument that in 50 years, most people will live alone and social interaction will mostly be through transmissions. Football itself may not even exist, but a mere program to interact with. I remember not that long ago that Hollywood was talking about how much cheaper it is to make a movie, where the characters aren't real paid human actors. I mean would we know if the next Tom Cruise is a real person, or just a simulation, if Hollywood didn't tell us? More importantly, would it matter?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the current regular season schedule is fine.
I like playing 6 division games and that leaving an even number (10) remaining. It just fits with the extra bye week.

I would like MNF back on the regular network. This having different pay channels for different games is frustrating. The NFL needs to quit trying to make it so darn complicated in an effort to make more $ while it forces its fans (customers) to give up on watching some games altogether.

I’d be ok with just 3 preseason games.

If a Network (FOX) blocks a channel mid season/contract year, in a purposeful effort to exploit its leverage on the Provider, fine them severely with an increasing % fee each week that they are in dispute. Use those proceeds to award credits to the customers left hanging.
Don’t leave the customer in the middle of a dogfight they had no say in. Have a clause that awards said contract to the next highest bidder unless the dispute is resolved expeditiously.
All good points Oldschool. Yeah I’d rather keep the season at 16 games, and would love to see the PS reduced to 3 games. This minimizes injuries, and really, what does a 17th game add other than more money for the already filthy rich NFL. IMO the season is hard enough as it is. I wouldn’t mind adding a playoff spot, but don’t like only one team receiving a first playoff round bye. In other words, shorten the PS to 3 games and leave the rest as is.

And yeah the games on different channels on different nights is an affront to fans. As they did with Thursday, move the Monday night game to a major network.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The new kickoff rules were to protect against injuries during "normal kickoffs". I never heard any talk about excessive injuries during an onside kick. Why not just allow the kicking team to lineup on the line of scrimmage as they do under the new rules. If they decide to shift into the "old school way" (unbalanced lineup on each side of the ball, way off the LOS) then it has to be an onside kick, if the ball travels further then say 20 yards....penalty on kicking team. Receiving team gets the ball at the spot they recovered it or at the 40 if the kicking team recovered it.

If they don't shift, they just kick off like they have been since the rule change. The element of surprise is still there, which wasn't that high to begin with and the ability to have at least a decent crack at recovering it is there as well.
Not a bad idea on the onside rules. The current situation makes the play even less likely to succeed than it already was. And as you say, everyone knows when these are coming.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
forgive me mods for the unrelated thread comment.
thank you for that information.
I just moved into a new home and was looking for an alternate option. I already have a Roku I bought in like 2012 or so, I just assumed it was obsolete.
Yeah if your Roku is from 2012 I’d upgrade. They aren’t expensive. Most new TVs have Roku built in.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Most new TVs have Roku built in.
kind of.....While Roku is also a channel....which you will now find on most Smart TV's, there is an actual Roku Device, that you connect to your TV and basically turns your TV into a Smart or an even Smarter TV. The third option and maybe what you are referring to is a "Roku TV", which is a Smart TV that is basically powered by the Roku OS (operating system). This article is a pretty good explanation of all of this....

https://blog.roku.com/smart-tv-vs-roku-tv

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
kind of.....While Roku is also a channel....which you will now find on most Smart TV's, there is an actual Roku Device, that you connect to your TV and basically turns your TV into a Smart or an even Smarter TV. The third option and maybe what you are referring to is a "Roku TV", which is a Smart TV that is basically powered by the Roku OS (operating system). This article is a pretty good explanation of all of this....

https://blog.roku.com/smart-tv-vs-roku-tv
Thanks for the clarification PB. Roku is a pretty inexpensive, and useful, product.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification PB. Roku is a pretty inexpensive, and useful, product.
Agree. Well worth the investment. I have 3 TV's. The oldest is pretty dumb, Jethro Bodean smart (No Smart TV features). So I hooked an $89 Roku Premium Box to it, it is now very smart. My second TV is probably 6 years old, it was smart, but probably High School level smart. I hooked a $39 Roku stick to it, now it is as Smart as the new Jethro TV. Last year I bought a new TV, that has everything, full graduate degree, didn't need Roku addons with it.

Old Guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I agree with your thinking of how it "Should be", we really don't know how it "Will be". The current 25 and under crowd are the first generation to grow up surrounded by the internet and constant access to it via phones and computers. So I don't think we really know how this generation will look in 20 years or even 5 years. I could make the argument that in 50 years, most people will live alone and social interaction will mostly be through transmissions. Football itself may not even exist, but a mere program to interact with. I remember not that long ago that Hollywood was talking about how much cheaper it is to make a movie, where the characters aren't real paid human actors. I mean would we know if the next Tom Cruise is a real person, or just a simulation, if Hollywood didn't tell us? More importantly, would it matter?

Agreed about the future. I am just basing what I say from the boys I'm related to who are in that 20's to 30's stage.

I think corporate decisions lately have centered more around greed and monopolistic trends then caring about fan base. I see it in baseball already. We have DISH and a regional sports network. Fox pulled the network after DISH turned down their humongous rate increase. Some members of Fox may also have their hands in DIRECT TV so the rate increase, if DISH agreed to it, would make DISH more expensive then DIRECT TV so viewers would switch. I know I guy who said the same thing is happening to his carrier which is not DISH. So we lose the Brewer games. Greed will cost more fans than anything and it is something the pro sports need to keep in check because it ultimately is hurting them.

puddler211

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I were King, we'd have 18 games, 2 preseason games, 2 bye weeks, no Thursday football, increase roster to 56. Thursday games are ridiculous.

Hear, hear!

Also, move the start of the season forward a couple weeks or a month. That way, training camp doesn't need to happen in the hottest summer weather, and the season wouldn't end in the deepest, darkest part of winter. Hold the Super Bowl in the first part of March instead.

We could still enjoy football until the weather starts to warm up and there are other things to do. I've always spent that month after the Super Bowl wishing there was still football on Sundays because the world is frozen solid and there's nothing else to do.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
We have DISH and a regional sports network.
We need to get you off the DISH ;)

Look into YouTubeTV.....so much better and so much cheaper! I went through the same thing last summer and fall with DISH. First I lost the Brewers and then the Badgers (BIG10 Network) that was the final straw....snip snip the satellite. Private message me if you want more details and no, I don't work for any of the companies lol

D

Deleted member 6794

Also, move the start of the season forward a couple weeks or a month. That way, training camp doesn't need to happen in the hottest summer weather, and the season wouldn't end in the deepest, darkest part of winter. Hold the Super Bowl in the first part of March instead.

Well, that would result in the early regular season games being played in hot summer weather as well as a 10-week layoff before the Super Bowl. Therefore not gonna happen.

Members online

Latest posts