Should there be a 17 game season

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
Why! 16 games is long enough, with all the injury’s with a long season, is making it 17games necessary.From a money stand point the networks and commercial benefit, with the CBA players will want more money making cap space another challenge, do we have 2 bye weeks, with one week before the SB game, I wouldn’t mind dumping that Pro-Bono Bowl, but would this be a more interesting season? I’m only asking..

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm personally all for it. More football = more better, I hate waiting 2/3rds of the year to watch the coolest sport in the world

Last edited:

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like there to be 17 regular season games. To make it work, however, I think:
- Training Camp should be 1 week longer (start mid-July) to help get players up to speed (mentally & physically) which will help with evaluations.
- Preseason should be shortened to 2 games.
- An extra bye week added. Each team should have a bye between weeks 5-8, and also weeks 10-13.
- Rather than modify salary cap I'd like rosters expanded to 55.
- Would also like it if Injured Reserve rules were expanded to 3 or 4 players. This allows teams to field healthy guys AND be more competitive towards the end of the season.
- Leave the back-end (playoffs & Super Bowl) alone, modify the front end.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm personally all for it. More football = more better, I hate waiting 2/3rds of the year to watch the coolest sport in the world

There's actually only about a 3 month layover from the end of one NHL season to the next;)

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
18 games and 2 pre-season games, increasing total & active gameday rosters by 5. Win all your games and you can earn the right to rest your players for a few games at the end of the season.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have you heard the new idea about replacing onside kicks? They stick you on your own 25, and if you can make 15 yards you get to retain. I think they said they're going to try this out atvthe Pro Bowl next year.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rather than add more games, I'd just stretch the season a bit.

Add one more bye week.
Eliminate Thu and Mon games.

A more radical suggstion would be to switch college to Sun and move NFL to Saturday.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Have you heard the new idea about replacing onside kicks? They stick you on your own 25, and if you can make 15 yards you get to retain. I think they said they're going to try this out atvthe Pro Bowl next year.
Teams would "onside kick" a lot in this scenario. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Especially a potent offensive team against a weaker opponent. They'd never see the football. Unless there's a limit on how many times you could do it.

Weak idea, IMO.

D

Deleted member 6794

Actually there won't be any kickoffs during the Pro Bowl on Sunday with teams having the chance to keep the ball by converting a fourth down and 15 from their own 25.

Teams would "onside kick" a lot in this scenario. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Especially a potent offensive team against a weaker opponent. They'd never see the football. Unless there's a limit on how many times you could do it.

Weak idea, IMO.

I don't like the idea either but wouldn't expect a lot of teams going for it aside the score dictating it.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I don't like the idea either but wouldn't expect a lot of teams going for it aside the score dictating it.
Depending upon matchup, I don't see why a really good offense wouldn't give it a go against weaker defensive teams, in my opinion. It would make for quite an interesting dynamic.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Depending upon matchup, I don't see why a really good offense wouldn't give it a go against weaker defensive teams, in my opinion. It would make for quite an interesting dynamic.
If you fail though, the other team gets the ball on your 25. It's practically gifting them three points, at the very least.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
If you fail though, the other team gets the ball on your 25. It's practically gifting them three points, at the very least.
I don't think it'll ever happen for us to find out, but if it were to go into effect, I think some teams would experiment with it throughout games.

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I would like there to be 17 regular season games. To make it work, however, I think:
- Training Camp should be 1 week longer (start mid-July) to help get players up to speed (mentally & physically) which will help with evaluations.
- Preseason should be shortened to 2 games.
- An extra bye week added. Each team should have a bye between weeks 5-8, and also weeks 10-13.
- Rather than modify salary cap I'd like rosters expanded to 55.
- Would also like it if Injured Reserve rules were expanded to 3 or 4 players. This allows teams to field healthy guys AND be more competitive towards the end of the season.
- Leave the back-end (playoffs & Super Bowl) alone, modify the front end.

I like this list.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Weak idea, IMO.
This idea was "explored" back in this October article: https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/10/14/20905188/nfl-onside-kick-rule-fix-problem
"... teams that wanted the ball back after scoring — if there were less than five minutes left in the game or they trailed by at least 17 points — would face a fourth-and-12 situation from their own 28-yard line."

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
D

Deleted member 6794

Much more doable than the current version of the onside kick.

In 2019 teams combined to recover three of 30 (10.0%) onside kick attempts. They successfully converted 21.9% of third and fourth downs with 12 yards to go. That number drops to 15.9% from 15 yards out.

While there's a better chance to convert a play on offense than to recover an onside kick I highly doubt a lot of teams would go for it without the score dictating it.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for this exposition, but next time please try to be more concise ~ you lost me half way through. ;)

There's significant income to the league for each game so even though your opinion may not be to add any games it WILL happen, just a matter of when. With the new CBA rapidly approaching I believe it WILL happen soon... just a matter of what the league "gives up" to the players union to make it happen & what makes sense for player health.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for this exposition, but next time please try to be more concise ~ you lost me half way through. ;)

There's significant income to the league for each game so even though your opinion may not be to add any games it WILL happen, just a matter of when. With the new CBA rapidly approaching I believe it WILL happen soon... just a matter of what the league "gives up" to the players union to make it happen & what makes sense for player health.
yup.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Better idea: Put it back the way it was.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't think it would make a difference since those teams that clinch the playoff spot would have to play another useless game risking more injuries.

D

Deleted member 6794

With the new CBA rapidly approaching I believe it WILL happen soon... just a matter of what the league "gives up" to the players union to make it happen & what makes sense for player health.

There's no way to add regular season games and to make sense for players health.

Better idea: Put it back the way it was.

That won't happen because of the emphasis on making the game safer.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no way to add regular season games and to make sense for players health.
Really? A 2nd bye week later in the season would have no value to players and allow them time to recover? IMHO this would also help the rookies recover from "the wall" that many hit at game 12 or 13. If this makes no sense for players health ask Emmanuel Sanders the value of a bye week (which he missed by getting traded).

Members online

Latest posts