Will the Packers re-sign Nick Perry this off season?

• Yes

Votes: 23 74.2%
  • No

Votes: 8 25.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Given our lack of rush LB depth, it would be a pretty big blow to lose him. As much as I cringe at the idea of paying for a guy with one good year and an injury history, I'm hoping we can re-sign him.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
There are better pass rushers on the market, but you're not guaranteed to land any of them. Perry is risky, but he's also the bird in the hand, so to speak.

OP
OP
JLW_51

JLW_51

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree guys, pretty tough pill to swallow, but hard to let a guy with 11 sacks walk away. Personally, don't want to see them break the bank on him, but would like to see him back.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The survey question and the Post title are 2 different things, just saying.

Should they resign Perry? IMO, Yes. The need of a starting caliber OLB is obvious. While I think they might have to slightly overpay for Perry (if they do it NOW), you aren't going to find an immediate replacement for him in the draft.

Will they resign him? No. Perry will hit the FA market and have more than 1 team willing to outbid what TT thinks he is worth. I don't see him in a Packer uniform next season, unless TT and the Packers really see something special in him.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JLW_51

JLW_51

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The survey question and the Post title are 2 different things, just saying.

Should they resign Perry? IMO, Yes. The need of a starting caliber OLB is obvious. While I think they might have to slightly overpay for Perry, you aren't going to find an immediate replacement for him in the draft.

Will they resign him? No. Perry will hit the FA market and have more than 1 team willing to outbid what TT thinks he is worth. I don't see him in a Packer uniform next season, unless TT and the Packers really see something special in him.
Good point, thanks for reading though, I appreciate that.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure I'd like to see him back, but not if he thinks he should be paid like one of the game's best LB's, because he isn't.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I said yes, but at a fair price. It's a double edged sword. He had a great year but has a long injury history. I have no idea what he should be paid so I can't venture a guess at what he will be paid.

I just think there is a good chance that he returns.

OP
OP
JLW_51

JLW_51

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is my question, I think Melvin Ingram is a better 3-4 OLB, what would he cost?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Here is my question, I think Melvin Ingram is a better 3-4 OLB, what would he cost?

Marginally more, but it would be worth it. But the risk you run is that you come away with neither. Because even if Ingram makes it to the market, and to be honest I don't think he will, you then have to be the team he picks of all his suitors. You can offer as much as anyone and still miss out.

OP
OP
JLW_51

JLW_51

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Marginally more, but it would be worth it. But the risk you run is that you come away with neither. Because even if Ingram makes it to the market, and to be honest I don't think he will, you then have to be the team he picks of all his suitors. You can offer as much as anyone and still miss out.
I don't think he will either, but why not (yeah, I know, we are talking about Ted Thompson) give it a shot? Don't settle, I mean Perry is fine, but the injuries are a concern, although Ingram has had some as well.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's face it, any player that makes it to FA these days is going to have question marks, or their team isn't letting them get to FA. They're either going to be priced off a team, or they have reasons for being put on the market. Some risks are better than others obviously, but it's often hard to tell.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I don't think he will either, but why not (yeah, I know, we are talking about Ted Thompson) give it a shot? Don't settle, I mean Perry is fine, but the injuries are a concern, although Ingram has had some as well.

Ingram dropped a lot of weight before the 2015 season and has been far more effective and durable since. He's a more well rounded player to boot. But to answer your question ("why not?"), it's just what I said before-- you run a very real risk of ending up with neither.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm in favor of re-signing Perry to a reasonable deal which in my opinion is somewhere in the neighborhood of $8 million a season.

Let's face it, any player that makes it to FA these days is going to have question marks, or their team isn't letting them get to FA.

Let's face it, that's one of the most used theories to defend Thompson not participating in free agency more often but it's hardly true as there are various reasons as to why players end up as free agents.

Last edited by a moderator:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score

And there's the rub. You go hard after A, don't get him. Ah well, I'll just go back to B. But when you turn around, B isn't there anymore.
I would imagine each team has a system of who they want and how the bidding- and other factors- stack up, so that they can have 3 or 4 guys working the phones with the same program.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
And there's the rub. You go hard after A, don't get him. Ah well, I'll just go back to B. But when you turn around, B isn't there anymore.
I would imagine each team has a system of who they want and how the bidding- and other factors- stack up, so that they can have 3 or 4 guys working the phones with the same program.

I think you have to decide who of your own guys are critical to your roster and do your best to keep them regardless of who might be there and might sign with you. I guess we will find out how important they think Perry is. If they let him walk, I sure would like it if they could land Ingram.

TomBrownFan40

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not one of the TT doubters but, might become one if getting Perry(I truly believe he's a budding star in this league) signed is not a priority. If that is not the case, it begs the question, why do you work so hard to make and keep cap space?
For a prediction, I will go against the grain and say he should and will be resigned.

TomBrownFan40

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know that there are enough data points to evaluate Matthews inside. If he went into camp thinking only inside, it might make a huge difference. One advantage might be that inside he could play in the 235-250 lb range instead of the 250+ lb needed for the outside. That might help with his chronic hammy problems. In any case, the discussion will likely be moot if Perry isn't signed.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't know that there are enough data points to evaluate Matthews inside. If he went into camp thinking only inside, it might make a huge difference.

Matthews solely practiced and played inside for the entire 2015 season but was average at best. While it seems he might stay healthy moving there permanently he would be massively overpaid under his current contract.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts