Should the Pack re-sign Colledge?

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
He did show much improvement this year. I remember him urging on the defense during the Superbowl on the fouth down play, so he appears to be a team player. If he isn't cost prohibitive, keep him.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No guarantee that rookie will be better next year. Maybe in due time, why not resign him to a relatively cheap 2-3 year deal if possible.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm ok letting him walk. We have plenty of depth with TJ Lang, Evan Dietrich-Smith and Nick McDonald, plus whomever we draft.

Future

He did WHAT?
Reaction score
we can find someone in the draft just as good and cheaper

I doubt that we will be able to get a player as good as Colledge is right now in the draft. I do get sick of his penalties but he had a solid year and could probably be brought back at a fair price. Offensive line continuity/familiarity is a big factor in how well the o-line performs. Keep Colledge.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Colledge has proven to me he will never be a great player, let alone an elite player.
But he has also proven we can depend on him, and we can win a SB with him.

If I'm the GM, I don't let him walk, based on the uncertainty. But I don't know how far Newhouse has progressed, and I don't know who we're going to draft. Lucky for us this year the draft preceeds Free Agency. We wouldn't pursue any holes through FA anyway, we would only re-sign our players. This way, we can be certain that we have replacements for them.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've never liked Colledge. I don't like his play and I don't like his attitude. Still, he's a decent player and I wouldn't be surprised to see him re-signed. If he is re-signed, I also wouldn't be surprised to see him lose his starting job. At the very least it will he insurance and a safety net in case a better replacement does not pop up.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Tough call... he is decent and it's hard to coach a guard up to the level that he's at now. Give him one year....

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm ok letting him walk. We have plenty of depth with TJ Lang, Evan Dietrich-Smith and Nick McDonald, plus whomever we draft.

I'd say keep him but don't get into a bidding war for him. I see Lang at tackle in two years, EDS was a mid season pickup after Spitz flamed out and McDonald is unknown. He could be a bad experiment along the lines of Giacowiwi a few seasons back.

Was McDonald an all-American choice? If so we'd be the only NFL team I know of with a McDonald All-American player on it.:crazy:

OP
OP
neilfii

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
As long as you can keep him for a reasonable salary it seems hard to not want to keep a guy around who played well enough this season to help you win a SB. Maybe we could put a kicker in any new contract that deducts from his salary for every penalty. That would also make for a great game day thread here on the boards: "How many flags on Colledge today?"

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Colledge will probably get a decent offer or two so I don’t understand thinking he can be kept as a backup or that he’ll agree to a one year contract. Colledge is obviously a good enough LG to win a Super Bowl with but what kills me about him is his inconsistency, even in his fifth season starting. Not only penalties but keeping his pad level low – on QB sneaks for example. If he would agree to a team-friendly deal I’d like to see them keep him for continuity’s sake but I think that’s unlikely. The coaching staff is apparently high on McDonald and McCarthy has said he thinks Lang’s best spot is LG so I will be surprised if Colledge is a Packer after the next free agency period ends (whenever that is).

Members online

Latest posts