Should the Pack drop KGB?

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This very likely is an irrational post that I'll regret writing once ppl reply w/ some logic, but I've never been too impressed w/ him, esp. this year, and if you look at what he counts against next year's cap...

updated: Nov 14, 2005 2006 2006 2006 2006
Name base signing bonus LTBE bonus total cap remaining PR$B
1 Favre 7,000,000 2,233,333 3,000,000 12,233,333 1,000,000
2 KGB 3,850,000 1,571,429 0 5,421,429 4,714,287

2006 salary cap estimate

(so next year he'll cost teh pack 5.4, and he has 4.7 sign bonus remaining)

Should the Pack make him the next cledtius Hunt?

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is more to being a DE than sack numbers. The coaching staff thinks he is playing a more complete game. Don't drop anyone until there is a replacement onboard. If a good free agent or draft choice came along then KGB can still be in the rotation with cutting lesseerr talent.

He seems to be one of those good locker room guys who livees in Green Bay all year. The cost of cutting him is too high and the Packers are better with him than without him.

He should stay until someone better is found. That will be years in the future.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The signing bonus money has already been spent. It doesn't look like he gts any other roster bonus or incentive money so all that is left to consider is 2006 salary of $3.8 mil.
If he was released and resigned GB could get him for less than the $3.8 but there would be another signing bonus somewhere in the $10 mil range. If GB didn't pay it someone certainly would.
It seems to make the most sense to get him some help on 1st & 2nd downs so that he is stronger on 2nd and long and 3rd downs.

tkpckfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:
There is more to being a DE than sack numbers. The coaching staff thinks he is playing a more complete game. Don't drop anyone until there is a replacement onboard. If a good free agent or draft choice came along then KGB can still be in the rotation with cutting lesseerr talent.

He seems to be one of those good locker room guys who livees in Green Bay all year. The cost of cutting him is too high and the Packers are better with him than without him.

think you for saying that. he has made more tackles this year then any other year.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
rabidgopher04 said:
CaliforniaCheez said:

Mike Montgomery

i was wondering this myself when i was watching the game last week. is bates playing montgomery b/c the team is unhappy w/kgb's play this season. to see if the packers coulld save some money by cutting kgb at the end of the season.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wpr said:
It seems to make the most sense to get him some help on 1st & 2nd downs so that he is stronger on 2nd and long and 3rd downs.

I agree. Instead of getting rid of KGB, I'd rather find a guy to rotate with KGB more on early downs so he's more fresh on passing downs.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy said:
but do you want your second highest salary cap contributor to be a situational 3rd down pass rusher?

If he were to get 25-30 sacks and 50 or more hurries (which I know will not be the case) I could live with it.

The real question is if he has someone to split time with how much more effective will he be? That we just don't know.

So next we ask- if he is released and GB takes a $4+ mil hit on next yrs cap who do they have any one at any price to take his place? Right now no one.

And does GB sign him back? Prob not as there will be too many other teams willing to throw money at him. If GB does out bid the other teams (which TT will never do.) it will be for a moster signing bonus and they are still looking at something around $2.5-3 mil for next yr.
So why go thru all the time & agravation to end up right back were they are right now?

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wpr said:
The signing bonus money has already been spent. It doesn't look like he gts any other roster bonus or incentive money so all that is left to consider is 2006 salary of $3.8 mil.
If he was released and resigned GB could get him for less than the $3.8 but there would be another signing bonus somewhere in the $10 mil range. If GB didn't pay it someone certainly would.

The signing bonus money has been paid to KGB, but the salary cap cost of the signing bonus is pro-rated over the life of the contract. The cost to the cap would be the remainder of that pro-rated bonus. This is why Hunt and Sharper are still on the books, they both count against the cap.

If we want to pay KGB less money but keep him, the best situation is to re-negotiate his current contract. That way we could continue to pro-rate his previous signing bonus (along with any other negotiated bonuses). Cutting and resigning actually makes it much more difficult on the cap. The obvious difficulty would be getting KGB to agree to a pay cut. It didn't work the Sharper, so he was simply cut from the team.

OP
OP
M

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Pack owe KGB ~ 6 mil in guaranteed $ (~1.5 next year, 4.7 for the rest of the contract). If you're going to cut him, then cut him and don't worry about resigning him.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said:
wpr said:

The signing bonus money has been paid to KGB, but the salary cap cost of the signing bonus is pro-rated over the life of the contract. The cost to the cap would be the remainder of that pro-rated bonus. This is why Hunt and Sharper are still on the books, they both count against the cap.

If we want to pay KGB less money but keep him, the best situation is to re-negotiate his current contract. That way we could continue to pro-rate his previous signing bonus (along with any other negotiated bonuses). Cutting and resigning actually makes it much more difficult on the cap. The obvious difficulty would be getting KGB to agree to a pay cut. It didn't work the Sharper, so he was simply cut from the team.

I agree BR. I didn't mean to imply that he would ONLY be $3.8 mil against next yr's cap. Just that the "new" money that GB would pay him would be $3.8 mil.
I have to agree w/ you . The BEST option would be to get him to take less money next season than the $3.8. If they put some of into his signing bonus it could be spread out over the last 4 yrs.
Not only did it not work with Shaper, it didn't work with Wahle either.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am more of a fan of Moving KGB instead of dropping him. I would still love to see what he can do at the LB position in particular the MLB position. I dont see any reason to drop him....He is fast and tackles well. and He is a great guy to have in the locker room

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy said:
This very likely is an irrational post that I'll regret writing once ppl reply w/ some logic, but I've never been too impressed w/ him, esp. this year, and if you look at what he counts against next year's cap...

updated: Nov 14, 2005 2006 2006 2006 2006
Name base signing bonus LTBE bonus total cap remaining PR$B
1 Favre 7,000,000 2,233,333 3,000,000 12,233,333 1,000,000
2 KGB 3,850,000 1,571,429 0 5,421,429 4,714,287

2006 salary cap estimate

(so next year he'll cost teh pack 5.4, and he has 4.7 sign bonus remaining)

Should the Pack make him the next cledtius Hunt?

And replace him with who?

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
mike montgomery is pretty good, i wish he'd get more snaps...

but there are going to be some premium DE's out there in april

yeah, trade KGB to a 3-4 team, save some money and our right end of the line will finally be able to play the run

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obi1 said:
And replace him with who?

Mario Williams. According to nfldraftcountdown.com:

"Mario Williams has everything you look for physically in a premier pass rusher and could be the best defensive end to come along since Julius Peppers, making him a rare prospect indeed."

I think that's our man.

Members online

Latest posts