1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Should The FCC Stick A Cap Limit On The Amount Of Commercials Allowed During An NFL Game?

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by PackerfaninCarolina, Jul 13, 2015.

?

Should There Be A Cap Limit On Commercial Time During NFL Games?

1. Yes

42.9%
  2. No

57.1%
  1. PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +276
    This is a rather small thing I've taken issue with against the NFL over the years, and hey, as long as the NFL games are going to be availble to watch for free within your local market, commercials have to stay. But I say the NFL does not need to be having them blurb up every last second of air time or every single time one play ends. I mean maybe I'm going a little too crazy about this, but it just seems like over the last 20 years or more, commercial time in NFL games has skyrocketted to levels it's never been at before. You look at the fact that more and more of the late games on Sunday afternoons are pushed back now to a 3:30 or so start time or even later, sometimes with the TV having to interrupt the coverage in one game to get out to the start of the other. Just seems to me like the games are getting extended by about 30 minutes more on average than they used to be back in the 90s and early 2000s as it seemed like back then, you'd see the game finish right on that 3-hour mark and even though yeah, injuries and penalties do take up time too, I think expanded commercial time is the biggest culprit here.

I'm not saying get rid of commercials altogether but I think they can be significantly cut back and even though I really don't like government intervention in anything sports related, I think the FCC would really be doing us fans a favor by coming in there and sticking a cap limit on the NFL's commercial time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +4,176
    No, not IMO. I would rather have the marketplace take care of it: If commercials become too intrusive, ratings will drop. And if the number and length of commercials really bothers anyone, they can record the game or start watching the game an hour or so after it starts and fast-forward through the commercials (if they have a DVR). The "solution" in the not-to-distant future is pay per view...

3. PackerfaninCarolina

Ratings:
    +276
    I don't think it's a matter of intrusiveness, commercials on the TV are not the same as the ones on computers, smartphones, and whatever else that are cookie-enabled. I just think the NFL has been given too much leeway to interrupt games with commercial time, and with the amount of money they already make on hefty ticket sales and the fact they're the biggest money-making industry in America, they can afford to cut their commercial time in half. They don't need PPV games either. I just know that they won't cut them in half so I see no harm in the FCC axing their commercial time and sticking a cap limit on it.

4. TJV

Ratings:
    +4,176
    I’d be interested in your source for the NFL being the “biggest money-making industry in America”. I don’t believe that’s true and here are a couple of quotes from a Bloomberg article titled, “If the NFL Were a Real Business”:
    http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/articles/2014-09-12/if-the-nfl-were-a-real-business

Perhaps a better argument for restricting commercial time would be the public financing enjoyed by NFL teams when they build stadiums; but big business also draws benefits from taxpayers through their lobbying efforts in DC.

As far as I can tell, the FCC only limits commercial time for children’s programming. In fact in 1982, the Justice Department brought an anti-trust suit against NBC, ABC, and CBS because they “conspired” to restrict “advertising to one product in each 30-second spot, limited the stations to broadcasting no more than five consecutive advertisements and limited advertising to no more than 8 1/2 minutes an hour.”
    http://www.nytimes.com/1982/11/24/u...-frequency-of-tv-commercials-are-dropped.html

So it looks like you won’t get your wish and IMO that’s a good thing. One would hope – at least I hope – the federal government has more important things to do.

5. PackerfaninCarolina

Ratings:
    +276
    Just seems awful funny to call the NFL a non-profit org when you'd figure they do make a profit, I mean all technical terms aside, I guess then the businesses are the team franchises? I mean makes sense I guess, but still, i don't call any organization in the billion dollar category small no matter where they rank on Wall Street.

As for that story, I'm not even completely sure what the heck was goin on there, I mean didn't really see what the beef was. I mean, I guess if companies felt the airtime they needed to display their product on TV was too restricted I guess that could be a problem, but seems like that's something they'd just be able to negotiate with those networks themselves without needing any justice dept intervention, unless the networks were trying to overstep some sort of power on them or something but still ... wouldn't NBC/CBS/ABC just be gauging their own pockets by doing that? I mean sorry if I'm way off on this, it's just that whole thing just sounds so strange. Plus on top of that, it did say at that time the FCC restricted commercial time to no more than 16 minutes an hour, so I guess for what that's worth.

And I don't think the federal government as in congress, the White House, and Supreme Court need to be involved in this, just the FCC because ... well that's what their department does is monitor the television airwaves.

6. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,631
    This statement tells me you are in over your head. The FCC receives its mandate to exist from the three mentioned bodies. How it does its work is greatly influenced by and under the control of these three organizations. Do I agree games are too long because of commercials? yes. Should the federal government get involved? no. It is a business decision between the NFL and the corporations that have bought the rights to broadcast the NFLs entertainment product. I whole heartedly agree with this:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. TJV

Ratings:
    +4,176
    PackerfaninCarolina, just to be clear, I didn’t categorize the NFL as “small”, I was just responding to it being the “biggest money-making industry in America”. As for tax-exempt status for the league office I don’t think that’s right either but the majority of the money it takes in is distributed to the 32 teams and they pay taxes on their profit.

Regarding that lawsuit, I would have understood the Justice Department going after broadcast TV if they deemed they were doing harm to the public – but just the opposite was the case. Yes they were “colluding” but they weren’t doing any harm IMO. But strictly speaking, competitors entering into agreements in “restraint of trade” violates the anti-trust laws.

BTW, in 1984, the FCC “lifted its longstanding requirements that television stations broadcast minimum amounts of news and local programing and limit the time devoted to commercials”. So limits on time devoted to commercials just apply to children’s programing. http://www.nytimes.com/1984/06/28/arts/fcc-eases-rules-for-broadcast-tv.html

8. PackerfaninCarolina

Ratings:
    +276
    Fair enough, but I guess it just seems like if nobody steps in on this, nothing will get done to stick that cap on commercial time.