Should Peppers have made the final roster?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I admit this is somewhat of a knee jerk reaction after seeing Sitton cut and then seeing Peppers play very sparingly in the first half, but bear with me on the logic here.

You cut one of the best guards in the league in part to save money for the future.

Yet you keep an even more expensive 36 year old at a position of good depth, with Matthews back outside full time, Perry returning, and Jones converted to OLB.

I freely admit I favored keeping Peppers at his salary this year, but I was surprised how minimally he was used. If that continues to become the norm, it's almost impossible to argue that he'll be worth the 8M in cap savings that we would carried over if we had we cut him.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I admit this is somewhat of a knee jerk reaction after seeing Sitton cut and then seeing Peppers play very sparingly in the first half, but bear with me on the logic here.

You cut one of the best guards in the league in part to save money for the future.

Yet you keep an even more expensive 36 year old at a position of good depth, with Matthews back outside full time, Perry returning, and Jones converted to OLB.

I freely admit I favored keeping Peppers at his salary this year, but I was surprised how minimally he was used. If that continues to become the norm, it's almost impossible to argue that he'll be worth the 8M in cap savings that we would carried over if we had we cut him.

How dare you question the greatness and wisdom of Oz...I mean, TT the great and terrible.

D

Deleted member 6794

I guess the plan is to reduce Peppers playing time to have him fresh at the end of the season. I'm fine with that but am concerned about him not having a single impact play in 29 snaps yesterday.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peppers had zero sacks and zero tackles no forced fumbles and no interceptions in 29 plays. Either Peppers took the game off or the Jags were so terrified of him that they ran away from him on every play. The truth is that he got easily handled. I didn't see many double team blocks on him that wold explain his ineptitude. Most if the double team blocks were directed towards d line players.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
am concerned about him not having a single impact play in 29 snaps yesterday.
I'm shocked to learn he had 29 snaps.
The man was invisible.
I imagine he will have more than a half dozen sacks and a batted pass or two over the course of the season but that's a lot of money sitting on the bench.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm shocked to learn he had 29 snaps.
The man was invisible.
I imagine he will have more than a half dozen sacks and a batted pass or two over the course of the season but that's a lot of money sitting on the bench.
Quit true. Makes Sitton's weekly contribution look like a huge bargain. The Packers just doled out about 600 grand to Peppers for the Jags game. In return they got zero sacks, zero tackles, zero forced fumbles and zero interceptions. While nearly every player has a poor outing occasionally, seems like Peppers routinely goes long streches where he is easily handled and makes zero impact.

D

Deleted member 6794

Quit true. Makes Sitton's weekly contribution look like a huge bargain. The Packers just doled out about 600 grand to Peppers for the Jags game. In return they got zero sacks, zero tackles, zero forced fumbles and zero interceptions. While nearly every player has a poor outing occasionally, seems like Peppers routinely goes long streches where he is easily handled and makes zero impact.

I agree Peppers performance yesterday was disappointing but only his second game since signing with the Packers without recording a single impact play. In my opinion it's too early to give up on him.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree Peppers performance yesterday was disappointing but only his second game since signing with the Packers without recording a single impact play. In my opinion it's too early to give up on him.
I don't advocate giving up on Peppers but what I am saying is that the Packers are not getting their money's worth with him and that he is no longer an elite player because he often goes long stretches without making any meaningful impact. Faced with the choice between Peppers and Sitton, I would take Sitton's consistent performance any day of the week.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Are we sure the main reason for sitton was money.

Say there was a diff reason? Then the issue is not a factor?

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't advocate giving up on Peppers but what I am saying is that the Packers are not getting their money's worth with him and that he is no longer an elite player because he often goes long stretches without making any meaningful impact. Faced with the choice between Peppers and Sitton, I would take Sitton's consistent performance any day of the week.

I would have preferred to hold on to both Peppers and Sitton which could have been done from a salary cap standpoint.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I assume they're saving him for the back half of the season.

Peppy is old and it was brutal out there in Jax. I'm not worried about it.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he's not making big plays for us in Nobember and December and on, I'll be disappointed. I'm really not expecting a full dominating season from him, but I am expecting a pitch count and keep him fresh to have specific points to attack later in the season and come thru for us.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are we sure the main reason for sitton was money.

Say there was a diff reason? Then the issue is not a factor?
I don't think the money was any more than an ancillary factor in the decision. But after 1 game against what I think is going to be a respected defensive line this season, our offensive line looked like it has when playing well with Sitton. It's one game, but man, even with good olines it seemed they took till week 4 to start looking decent. We'll see what they look like against are more known quantity in MN this week. I was encouraged by what I saw overall, through there is a lot to improve upon in all aspects on the offense. I think playing time together will sort that out

Sky King

Reaction score

It's a long season. He has been one of the best, if not THE BEST pass-rusher since he's been here. He's pretty go0d at creating turnovers, too. Putting him on a snap count throughout the season should help to keep him much fresher later on. Besides, yesterday's weather was brutal and he wasn't really needed much to secure the win. No need to burn him out quickly. My guess is that TT and MM bet on the come that he's still got enough left in the tank to make an impact (more as a role player) and that they intend to get that out of him at more critical moments throughout the season, especially during the playoffs.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peppers had zero sacks and zero tackles no forced fumbles and no interceptions in 29 plays. Either Peppers took the game off or the Jags were so terrified of him that they ran away from him on every play. The truth is that he got easily handled. I didn't see many double team blocks on him that wold explain his ineptitude. Most if the double team blocks were directed towards d line players.

Or it was about 100 degrees, and he's getting old.

I imagine there were games last season when he had little to no impact as well. Other games he was better. One game is a small sample size, so I'll give this a "wait and see" approach before I render a verdict.

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Peppers represents a greater need. Hugely important to have a rotation of OLB's for situational and package flexibility for a 3-4. Obviously, TT felt he had someone behind Sitton that was ready to develop.

I understand the point, but also feel like this is a bit knee jerk after just one game. Wait till Peppers makes a few splash plays one game and see if you still feel the same way.

Matthews has done the disappearing act for substantial stretches of a season, multiple times now, yet I'm probably the only one here that questions his contract and salary.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
meh, I don't see it as a big deal. Ole Pep is long in the tooth and it was hot as hell yesterday at that game. I suspect Ole Pep will play a lot more snaps when the weather turns cold.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
What we don't get to see is what Peppers (or Sitton) add in the huddle, practice, locker room and sidelines. While he may not have had a visible impact on the field yesterday, I'm hopeful that the $8 M was money well spent this season.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Peppers is primarily on the team to be a player coach rather than a player. That is not at all a bad thing if the player coach can show flashes of brilliance on the field, but if that player coach is only that, a player further down the depth chart should be the one getting the most snaps. Hopefully that made sense.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Peppers represents a greater need. Hugely important to have a rotation of OLB's for situational and package flexibility for a 3-4. Obviously, TT felt he had someone behind Sitton that was ready to develop.

I understand the point, but also feel like this is a bit knee jerk after just one game. Wait till Peppers makes a few splash plays one game and see if you still feel the same way.

Matthews has done the disappearing act for substantial stretches of a season, multiple times now, yet I'm probably the only one here that questions his contract and salary.
Doubt it. He was terrible yesterday.

D

Deleted member 6794

Doubt it. He was terrible yesterday.

I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere around the forum but while Matthews had several impact plays those occurred solely when a good defensive call left him unblocked. He had trouble beating a blocker all day and missed a couple of tackles as well.

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere around the forum but while Matthews had several impact plays those occurred solely when a good defensive call left him unblocked. He had trouble beating a blocker all day and missed a couple of tackles as well.

Sounds about right. Like I said, overrated and over paid.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe PFF was right that he should stay in the middle. I only saw 1 blitz up the middle, but his quickness seemed to stifle the guard much more than the OTs.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts