Should Packers go after Hakeem Nicks?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kenny Britt is another young talent on the trading block but some question marks with knee injuries and other personal baggage. If he's healthy he's a beast (especially with Rodgers). He is/was not only bigger than Nicks but faster as well.
Britt sucks, and here's the key: He's an @sshole, probably is untouchable in Ted Thompson's opinion. Some of our fans fail to realize that the character of a player is VERY important to Ted Thompson, rightly so. We have mostly a lot of good guys, good teammates. We don't have any real primadonnas.... Britt is not a Packer character person, would never be brought in by Ted even for a 7th round pick.

Pipedream here.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Britt sucks, and here's the key: He's an @sshole, probably is untouchable in Ted Thompson's opinion. Some of our fans fail to realize that the character of a player is VERY important to Ted Thompson, rightly so. We have mostly a lot of good guys, good teammates. We don't have any real primadonnas.... Britt is not a Packer character person, would never be brought in by Ted even for a 7th round pick.

Pipedream here.

Teddy was involved with the Packers back during the Bad Moon Rison experience. Yes Ted is a conservative cards close to the chest type of card player, but he has been known to surprise from time to time. If the Packers are to be without a significant portion of their receivers for any length of time don't be surprised if Ted does grab a rent-a-player, even if he has a questionable character. Even with our Offensive struggles this feels like a Super Bowl team and I feel like we haven't seen the best of our Defense yet. Just wait till we can get Neal Perry and Matthews out on the field at the same time.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say bring in a guy like Brandon Llyod. Great route runner with some nice hands, and is a good character guy. We are going to need a slot wr if cobb is out for a longer amount of time so why not him? i also flirted with the ideal of Laurent Robinson but he's injury prone...we don't need any more guy's on that list.

Reaction score
So why did you mix their career yards with this season's yards per catch. Doesn't make sense. A truer reflection are their career numbers for both categories. This year with Ryan Fitzpatrick throwing the ball and Britt being in the doghouse his numbers are low.

The total number of yards has more to do with opportunities than a knock on Britt's abilities. For you to suggest they weren't even close I don't think is fair.

Britt is still faster, bigger, and has boatloads of talent. Nicks like Britt also has an injury history. Nicks has Eli Manning as his QB whilest Britt has Ryan Fitzpatrick.
Sorry, have to agree with P-E-Z. What does one year have to do with the next?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say bring in a guy like Brandon Llyod. Great route runner with some nice hands, and is a good character guy. We are going to need a slot wr if cobb is out for a longer amount of time so why not him? i also flirted with the ideal of Laurent Robinson but he's injury prone...we don't need any more guy's on that list.

Depending on price...I see Llyod as a viable option and one to weigh. However, I feel Walker will be promoted up and we'll carry Finley outside more and 2 TE sets.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm 100% on board with bringing in Lloyd. He's a quite guy with a lot of upside. Very good call.
I question Lloyd's toughness. Saw him once retract his arms and let a ball sail by because he was getting ready to get hit. I know its a hell of a thing to come across the middle and take a hit, but hey, other guys do it.

Britt - will never be a Packer. He is a bad character and we are a better team without him.
Driver - would love it, and there is a small chance, but I think TT would look at a promising youngster.
Nicks - very good WR, not sure we would give up something for him

In the end, I think the issue is the chemistry between WR and Rodgers. Even Boykin was having difficulties getting on the same page with AR and he has been here 2 years. He doesn't get many of the 1st team reps, he will this week and I expect he will play much better next week. So, in my thinking, it is most likely we will get one of those young players we had in the preseason who are still floating around out there. I would have really liked Charles Johnson - too bad Cleveland GM was quick on the trigger to steal him off our PS.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As Rizzo pointed out, character is important to TT. We can talk stats and production all day but high character guys keep teams like the Packers in tough games and rough patches in the season...such as starting 1-2. Teams like the Vikings and Giants start tearing apart when the discontents and egos start jabbering. I'll sacrifice a bit of talent for a guy that won't start the tear in our team's fabric.

As for Nicks, I wouldn't consider a trade unless it was for a 6th rounder or lower AND we are going to be without Cobb and Jones for significant portions of the season. A low round pick for salvaging a season could be a good use of that pick, but it's a short-sighted move which is not TT's style.

There are plenty of decent receivers on the street that could be effective in our offense.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
At this point, why the hell not. I don't care about issues or possible injury history, we have nobody to catch a football besides Jordy

12theTruth

Kenny Britt is another young talent on the trading block but some question marks with knee injuries and other personal baggage. If he's healthy he's a beast (especially with Rodgers). He is/was not only bigger than Nicks but faster as well.

Why would we trade anything for a guy who's no better than what's available in free agency? He's no better than Massaquoi and Robinson.

So why is Massaquoi or Robinson a better option than Britt talent wise? Speed comparison? Size?

Last edited by a moderator:

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a chance TT trades for Nicks. Not only would it cost too much (remember, we wouldn't part ways with a draft pick for Moss), but it also would have some secondary consequences that I'm not willing to take on - cap ramifications and impact on signing JJ and/or Jordy. Trading for - and potentially signing - Nicks could have an negative ripple effect on Jordy and JJ when their deals come up in the next year+.

I think the answer will be signing White or another street free agent and then moving JMike outside on a more permanent basis. He's more than capable filling in outside for several weeks while our guys get healthy.

H

HardRightEdge

That long term would be a money problem. Then again that could be the difference between a contender and a super bowl championship team.
Doing a rent-a-player for a young accomplished player is bad practice, it never happens, and TT won't go there. This isn't baseball. Nicks was likely already unhappy at not being deemed a core player (no contract extension), and he'll be less happy going to a new team with not intention of offering one.

If this trade takes place, it will be to a team who will extend him.
Why would we want Jeremy Ross back? He was pretty worthless as a wideout, bad hands.

The Titans want a 3rd for Britt. No way would I touch him for more than a 5th. Talented but comes with baggage.

Other than signing White from the practice squad, I wouldn't expect much to happen if these are short-term injuries. If neither is going on IR, which fortunately it sounds like they will not be, we can't replace them without making a roster move somewhere else. With guys like Worthy and Sherrod eligible to start practicing again tomorrow, we're probably going to have to clear a couple spots as it is.

Finley may be a de facto wide receiver for a few weeks. White possibly signed. Probably see some more 2 TE sets in the game plan.

We'll find out soon enough, but the good news will be something like Jones with a bad bone bruise and Cobb with a sprained knee, both out 2 - 4 weeks.

Even if Finley plays split, there is nobody behind the 3 WR...what if somebody else gets hurt. I don't think you can go into a game with zero backups. They'll find room for a guy. The fact it isn't White already would indicate they're looking hard outside.

We could dispense with Nixon...he's only filling out the roster because Heyward is down. Back to PS for Nixon when Heyward comes back anyway.

If and when Worthy and Sherrod come back we'll lose guys at their respective positions.

Wilson would be the lead candidate on the D-Line as he increasingly becomes redundant and will be a FA after the season anyway.

We're already carrying 8 OL, we won't carry 9, and Bulaga and Tretter next season would make 11 if we don't cut somebody now, so the developmental interior guys (Van Roten, Taylor) are likely on short time for next season as it is.

So who goes? Newhouse would be one option (tackle in, tackle out). Taylor another. I suspect Van Roten sticks since he's the backup center.

Last edited by a moderator:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a chance TT trades for Nicks. Not only would it cost too much (remember, we wouldn't part ways with a draft pick for Moss), but it also would have some secondary consequences that I'm not willing to take on - cap ramifications and impact on signing JJ and/or Jordy.

TT was going to trade a draft pick for Moss. A 4th if I recall. NE came back with the offer of the 3rd and Oakland pulled the trigger. Packer brass thought it was a done deal. They awoke in the morning surprised to hear the news that RM was headed to NE.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Please let Denver let us sign Tavarres King. And Rizzo, if you're going to bring up Smithson, Gurley is still available.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So why is Massaquoi or Robinson a better option than Britt talent wise? Speed comparison? Size?

Size/speed? Robinson is 6'2" and runs around a 4.38. Britt is 6'3" and runs a 4.5. Robinson has proven himself to be every bit as good as Britt if no more so with the Cowboys a couple years ago. He's probably the top FA prospect and I'm surprised he's not already on someone's roster. We would be wise to bring him in for a workout at least before someone else grabs him, because as WR injuries mount across the league (Amendola, again, for instance) he'll be on a roster before long.

And talent isn't the only thing that matters anyway. Britt is constantly having run-ins with police. Resisting arrest, fleeing police, DUI, being evasive during questioning about a friend's stabbing. He's a distraction we don't need and the Titans are asking for a 3rd round pick for the guy. You really want this problem waiting to happen? No thank you.

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb got a broken leg 6 to 8 weeks out :(
Giants have said they no intention of trading Nicks they plan to resign him.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb got a broken leg 6 to 8 weeks out :(
Giants have said they no intention of trading Nicks they plan to resign him.
I will get everyone the mailing address to the guy who decided to lower his helmet and dive it into Cobb's leg down there.
Do with it what you want....

Matt Elam
Baltimore Ravens
1 Winning Drive
Owings Mills, MD 21117

I understand the rules make hitters shy away from the head shots now.
But there are many many tackles in these situations where guys hit in the midsection, or higher at the chest.
There's not a receiver, tight end, RB alive who'd rather be hit in the knee on these blind shots, as opposed to the head even.
These DBs who do this, you all know how I feel about this and THIS IS WHY I have been preaching about this for 3 years, especially referring to Louis Delmas of the Lions, who loves to hit like this.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doing a rent-a-player for a young accomplished player is bad practice, it never happens, and TT won't go there. This isn't baseball. Nicks was likely already unhappy at not being deemed a core player (no contract extension), and he'll be less happy going to a new team with not intention of offering one.

If this trade takes place, it will be to a team who will extend him.

We'll find out soon enough, but the good news will be something like Jones with a bad bone bruise and Cobb with a sprained knee, both out 2 - 4 weeks.

Even if Finley plays split, there is nobody behind the 3 WR...what if somebody else gets hurt. I don't think you can go into a game with zero backups. They'll find room for a guy. The fact it isn't White already would indicate they're looking hard outside.

We could dispense with Nixon...he's only filling out the roster because Heyward is down. Back to PS for Nixon when Heyward comes back anyway.

If and when Worthy and Sherrod come back we'll lose guys at their respective positions.

Wilson would be the lead candidate on the D-Line as he increasingly becomes redundant and will be a FA after the season anyway.

We're already carrying 8 OL, we won't carry 9, and Bulaga and Tretter next season would make 11 if we don't cut somebody now, so the developmental interior guys (Van Roten, Taylor) are likely on short time for next season as it is.

So who goes? Newhouse would be one option (tackle in, tackle out). Taylor another. I suspect Van Roten sticks since he's the backup center.
Oh my garsh John Kuhn can be cut easily...even with the injuries at RB. He's like the team mascot.

Members online

Latest posts