should other NFC north teams affect our draft selection?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just curious what everyones thought is on having other teams draft picks affect us. Example if the Lions draft a Dlineman in the first round should we move up our priority on the O line? Or another team in a similar way? Or should the Packers stick to their board regardless of what other teams in our division do? I heard someone talk about this on a sports radio show and wanted an opinion of a few of you.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me, the only way another NFCN team should affect our draft if it's the same circumstance as the Bears last year:
If they're ahead of us, and are poised to take a player we highly covet.

If not, absolutely not. Ron Wolf used to make his moves based on division opponents.
In 99', he decided he had to counter Randy Moss.

It led to Antuan Edwards (CB) being drafted with our 1st pick, Fred Vinson (CB) with our 2nd pick, and Mike McKenzie (CB) with our 3rd pick.
While McKenzie panned out, any doubt it was a terrible draft?

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i dont think it should, but like you said ron wolf did it. And his credibility is pretty high.

I guess it might factor into my pick somewhat if I was running the show.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Detroit or Minnesota pick too early to affect us since we'd expect those guys not to fall to us anyway. If Chicago doesn't take best OT available we're taking him and if the Bears do go OL we'll go OLB.

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...It led to Antuan Edwards (CB) being drafted with our 1st pick, Fred Vinson (CB) with our 2nd pick, and Mike McKenzie (CB) with our 3rd pick.
While McKenzie panned out, any doubt it was a terrible draft?

Psst...without Vinson, the Pack doesn't land Ahman Green (remember the trade?) Perhaps it wasn't that bad of a draft after all...

Passepartout

October Outstanding
Reaction score
It really depends on which needs like a RB or whatever, that the Packers need desparate. What places they can improve on. And not just the draft numbers. But the positions that the team needs to improve on.

Future

He did WHAT?
Reaction score
It should/will have zero impact on what Ted does. You take what you think is the best player available who isn't a QB.

Latest posts