Should Mike Sherman be fired

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The other 47.2% was Pack 66 voting over and over and over and over and
over and over and over and over andover and over and over and over and
over and over and over and over andover and over and over and over and
over and over and over and over andover and over and over and over and...............
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually I think that sounds about correct.

Many people see his accomplishments in GB and believe that this is an odd year with all the injuries. Others have been calling for Sherman's head for a few years now and this year is just the last straw.

Until this year I've wanted Sherman to stay because it appeared that his leaving GB would push Favre to retire. I want to see Favre in a Packer uniform for as long as possible. From Brett's recent comments, I think he's indicating that there needs to be some major changes in the offseason to get this team back to the top. Favre doesn't want a repeat of this season -- he's not looking for a rebuilding project. TT must do all he can to get GB to the top again next season or Favre wiill be gone. If that means a new coaching staff, then so be it.

Considering Favre's comments, I have a similar view -- do what you can to win now. So I'm on the fence about Sherman right now and a 50/50 split indicates that's the case with most Packer fans.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no idea whether he should be fired - that's up to TT. I do, however, think he will be fired. Given that Sherman is one of only 4 coaches in the Packers' entire history with a winning record, TT better be able to pick the right guy to replace him.

PPierce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He won't be. They were talking about coaches who should be fired today on ESPN radio. (I realize they are biased towards East coast teams, but I still listen in the car). They brought up Sherman and said he should be fired, but Favre won't allow it. Everyone keeps forgetting that Brett said he will not play for anybody else. Then the ESPN talking head said something about "Favre is holding the franchise hostage." A caller called in and agreed. I agree too. Sherman will only go if Favre retires and I don't think he will, so Sherman will be back. Watch and see.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the umpteenth time, Favre never said that he will not play if Sherman is gone. He indicated that retaining Sherman, or probably more specifically, retaining the current playbook, would be a positive CONSIDERATION in whether he returns.

Beyond that, F@CK ESPN....they have had a stick up their collective ***** against GB for the last 5 years. My personal belief is that as long as Favre is around, he outshines all the media darlings such as Manning, Palmer and Culpepper....and they cannot stand that. To them he is old news. Can't have an old, over the hill QB doing that to the new media hero QBs.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PPierce said:
He won't be. They were talking about coaches who should be fired today on ESPN radio. (I realize they are biased towards East coast teams, but I still listen in the car). They brought up Sherman and said he should be fired, but Favre won't allow it. Everyone keeps forgetting that Brett said he will not play for anybody else. Then the ESPN talking head said something about "Favre is holding the franchise hostage." A caller called in and agreed. I agree too. Sherman will only go if Favre retires and I don't think he will, so Sherman will be back. Watch and see.

Actually your a little behind in Favre's comments. Favre backed down on earlier comments about retiring if Sherman left and said that his retiring is not tied to whether or not Sherman is fired. Favre doesn't want to learn a new offense, but it doesn't mean he will retire if he has to.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce had a great post the other day that spoke more appropriately to the team that Sherman took over from Ray Rhoads. At that time I thought to myself we might just have something here that will work. I liked how he place such importance on teamwork and commaraderie. It looked to be working. But there were chances along the way to fine tune things and this is where his demise began in my opinion. He has allowed the foolishness with Rossely to go on too long. He fired the wrong coach after the 4th and 26th call. I understand he has become difficult to work with and for. He has done a very bad job with the special teams. Where most of his damage came however is as GM. He paid players way too much money for how they performed. He drafted poorly and simply put didn't draft enough impact players. I was hoping that this year without the responsibilities of GM he would prove that he can coach. Now remember, this was a bad team the last two years coming out of the preseason. Last year they recovered, this year they didn't. I won't use injuries as a reason for being 3-13. I just think this team is too often too poorly prepared. I also think Mike has held on to his coaching friends instead of doing what is best for this team. Defending friendships is a wonderful life attribute, but it can spell doom in the work force. TT knows this. TT also knows that this team cannot improve under his leadership.

Notice through all of this, I did not condemn Mike Sherman that man. I just think he's not capable of doing anything more than he did a few years ago. He could be another Marty Schottenheimer. Who knows? I want a young fiery coach in here that can instill some inspiration in his team. But I'd take Mariucci without hesitation.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike Sherman did not fire the wrong coach. Donatell has never been anything but average (see Falcons, Atlanta). The mistake was not also sh1tcanning Rossley and replacing Donatell with Slowik. Re Mariucci - those Lions sure played inspired football under him eh?

PPierce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Favre points favorably to a Sherman return, and a retention of the same system, that's the same thing as Sherman's coming back. If Favre decides to try again next year, Sherman will return. Hopefully at least Rossley will be fired, but don't count on it. He's Sherman's buddy. I think all three of them will be back next year. Sherman will be canned as soon as Favre hangs up his cleats.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
how can people think sherman should not be fired. how many superbowls have we played with him here. and thanks to him playing GM he totally funked the team up...just...let him go...how can so many people be stupid (in my opinion)

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
how can people think sherman should not be fired. how many superbowls have we played with him here. and thanks to him playing GM he totally funked the team up...just...let him go...how can so many people be stupid (in my opinion)

They simply do not have Super Bowl talent. Vince Lombardi could not have coached this year’s team to a title.....or last years for that matter.
I see a lot of people blaming injuries for a very bad season. So how would a different coach have changed that?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
PPierce said:

He never said he would retire if Sherman left. He simply stated it is a small factor into his coming back if Sherman were still the coach. I went into detail on this matter in anther post. Read up on it and you'll understand WHY he said it. :)

Members online

Latest posts