Should Green Bay Packers retire Paul Hornungs No.5 jersey ?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No. imo multiple other players of that era would be more deserving, but I'm ok with who we have retired so far.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I was a great football player, I'd love to see my name on the stadium and some kid hoping to fill my shoes and wearing my number living the dream out on the football field after I stepped away.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Hornung did A LOT for the Lombardi team and their success, but also think being banned for a year for betting (on Packer wins!) left his legacy a bit tarnished. I think Wolf & Sherman respect his efforts but there have been an awful lot of really standout Packers and they can't all get their number retired.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was always under the impression that it was especially since Majikowski had to change his number around '88 or so? I do also think and I hate to say this, we are eventually gonna start getting short on numbers and I think we should be allowed to re-issue numbers 10 years after a player's death.

OP
OP
Robert Mason

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was always under the impression that it was especially since Majikowski had to change his number around '88 or so? I do also think and I hate to say this, we are eventually gonna start getting short on numbers and I think we should be allowed to re-issue numbers 10 years after a player's death.

I believe Majikowski gave up the number 5 jersey voluntarily.

OP
OP
Robert Mason

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Hornung did A LOT for the Lombardi team and their success, but also think being banned for a year for betting (on Packer wins!) left his legacy a bit tarnished. I think Wolf & Sherman respect his efforts but there have been an awful lot of really standout Packers and they can't all get their number retired.

I guess Reggie White's incident didn't tarnish his legacy !

In an interview with ABC's 20/20, White made comments about **** and ********. White became an ally of organizations opposed to homosexuality; he appeared in a newspaper advertising campaign to convince **** and ******** that they could "cease" their homosexuality. As a result, CBS withdrew a five-year, $6-million contract for being a part of the The NFL Today because of his statements calling homosexuality a sin.[28][29] Both the Green Bay Packers and the NFL objected to the ads, since White had appeared in his football uniform without the consent of the team or the league. Later versions of the ad removed the uniform.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score

In an interview with ABC's 20/20, White made comments about **** and ********. White became an ally of organizations opposed to homosexuality; he appeared in a newspaper advertising campaign to convince **** and ******** that they could "cease" their homosexuality. As a result, CBS withdrew a five-year, $6-million contract for being a part of the The NFL Today because of his statements calling homosexuality a sin.[28][29] Both the Green Bay Packers and the NFL objected to the ads, since White had appeared in his football uniform without the consent of the team or the league. Later versions of the ad removed the uniform.
He was a baptist preacher (not sure if "officially" became a minister?)... have you ever heard a Baptist sermon? It is not all kumbaya and let's coexist... Reggie White was true to his faith and didn't practice political correctness.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those of us who were around when Hornung played know that in many ways he was the face of the team. That said, I liked the comment about putting all numbers up in the stadium and letting new players try to fill em. Hornung still is 2nd all time in most points scored in a season. It took Tomlinson another game to beat him. He did so many things well. Very valuable to the team.

Djepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No. imo multiple other players of that era would be more deserving, but I'm ok with who we have retired so far.
I met the guy a few years ago with my son. IMO while he was a great player, he certainly one of the biggest JERKS of a former player to meet. Long story short, it was 2010 home opener against the Bills alumni week...meeting and talking with the greats. Lynn ****ey just had a discussion with me about a meeting I had with him many years ago...I never forgot how nice he was to me. He said it just remember one thing, it never hurts to be nice. Then we on the other side of the bar sitting alone far from the other alumni is mr. has been...my son and I walk up to him want to shake his hand politely and introduce ourselves and he extends his hand and looking down at the ground is this cold dead fish limp wristed kiss my *** handshake...doesn't say a word to her knowledge us. My son and I look at each other and say lets just go....What a bum!! Sure retire his number but what a piece of human trash

D

Deleted member 6794

A valid explanation, but why then the continued reluctance to let someone else use the #5 jersey ?

The Packers have allowed several undrafted wide receivers to wear #5 during the offseason over the past few seasons but those players didn't make the final roster.

The Bears have fourteen jersey numbers retired. I wonder how they do a 90 man roster ?

They use multiple numbers both on offense and defense.

OP
OP
Robert Mason

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have allowed several undrafted wide receivers to wear #5 during the offseason over the past few seasons but those players didn't make the final roster.

They gave No. 5 jersey to Ed Williams last year, but I believe they changed it to No.19 and is still on the 90 man roster.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It's off the field, while I disagree with him that should have little to no effect on his football legacy.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hornung was a very good player and a very important part of the Packers championship legacy. However, stats are typically the first thing to even get you into the HOF or number-retirement discussion, then come the intangible merits. Paul just wasn't a dominant player. He wasn't the face of the organization. That's what I think of when I think of the all-time greats.

I'm happy any time that a Packers player makes it into the HOF, but that isn't an automatic entry into the ring of honor and number retirement. I appreciate everything that Paul contributed to the Packers both on the field and off. Many of his antics contribute to the color and charm of the 1960s teams. They don't put him up in the realm of a retired number though.

As for Lombardi, he had a special place in his heart for Paul Hornung. Some have suggested because Paul embodied the guy that Lombardi somewhat wanted to be (carefree and the man on town) but couldn't allow himself to be. Lombardi unofficially retiring Paul's #5 may have had more to it than meets the eye.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Hornung was a very good player and a very important part of the Packers championship legacy. However, stats are typically the first thing to even get you into the HOF or number-retirement discussion, then come the intangible merits. Paul just wasn't a dominant player. He wasn't the face of the organization. That's what I think of when I think of the all-time greats.

I'm happy any time that a Packers player makes it into the HOF, but that isn't an automatic entry into the ring of honor and number retirement. I appreciate everything that Paul contributed to the Packers both on the field and off. Many of his antics contribute to the color and charm of the 1960s teams. They don't put him up in the realm of a retired number though.

As for Lombardi, he had a special place in his heart for Paul Hornung. Some have suggested because Paul embodied the guy that Lombardi somewhat wanted to be (carefree and the man on town) but couldn't allow himself to be. Lombardi unofficially retiring Paul's #5 may have had more to it than meets the eye.
I agree that the #5 not being worn is more about respect for Lombardi's personal feelings towards Hornung than it is about the relative greatness of Hornung. We may see it used again after Hornung dies, then again we may not. It's not a number that "needs" to be freed up. Hornung achieved legendary status, but not legendary greatness imo.

OP
OP
Robert Mason

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"I agree that the #5 not being worn is more about respect for Lombardi's personal feelings towards Hornung than it is about the relative greatness of Hornung.

Very good thought !

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We took Paul first overall, the greatest rb ever was selected 5th, man that team would have been unreal with brown