Should Green Bay make a play for LB Donta Hightower?

Should the Packers sign Donta Hightower?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no way anyone other than The current group of lbs in the middle see the field next year. Sorry to kill your dreams man.

D

Deleted member 6794

Would love for the Packers to pick up both Hightower and maybe DeAndre Levy.

That might be extremely tough with Levy as he's under contract with the Lions through the 2019 season. In addition there are questions about his durability as he has only played a total of six games over the past two seasons because of injuries.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
That might be extremely tough with Levy as he's under contract with the Lions through the 2019 season. In addition there are questions about his durability as he has only played a total of six games over the past two seasons because of injuries.

I hear this argument every offseason and honestly I just hate it. Give me one good reason we can't just sign players who are under contract with other teams? Everybody else does it! When are people going to wake up and realize that this team isn't even TRYING. C'mon sheeple!

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hightower is a strange ILB...the Pats used him mainly as a pass rusher and that's not really what the Packers are lacking from the ILB position. So no, I don't think Hightower would solve the main issues that the Packers have with the ILB position.

D

Deleted member 6794

Hightower is a strange ILB...the Pats used him mainly as a pass rusher and that's not really what the Packers are lacking from the ILB position. So no, I don't think Hightower would solve the main issues that the Packers have with the ILB position.

There's no doubt Hightower would significantly improve the talent level at inside linebacker but iny opinion the Packers have more pressing needs to address than spend $10 million a season on the position.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
There's no doubt Hightower would significantly improve the talent level at inside linebacker but iny opinion the Packers have more pressing needs to address than spend $10 million a season on the position.

Agreed. Unless......they have a plan to permanently move Clay inside (without a renegotiation). IF that was part of the Packers plan, I would rather see them cut Clay and spend the savings on Hightower. But I don't see that as being the plan, nor do I see the Packers even thinking about Hightower.

As hopeful as I am that TT will sign a first tiered CB or OLB in Free Agency, years of hoping that have made me realize, it probably isn't going to happen this year either. I do however fully expect a "Cook like" signing at one or both of those positions, which could be all the Packers need.

D

Deleted member 6794

Agreed. Unless......they have a plan to permanently move Clay inside (without a renegotiation). IF that was part of the Packers plan, I would rather see them cut Clay and spend the savings on Hightower. But I don't see that as being the plan, nor do I see the Packers even thinking about Hightower.

As mentioned before I absolutely agree with rather having Hightower on a cheaper contract playing inside linebacker than moving Matthews there under his current deal.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
It's kind of funny reading a thread of people arguing whether or not the Packers should sign a guy who won't even be brought into Green Bay for a visit.

Yep. Well most likely have a rookie playing at corner and a rookie playing at OLB as well.

This is why I don't understand when I hear people say how the team has so many pieces in place to make a run. It's a head scratcher too me.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Yep. Well most likely have a rookie playing at corner and a rookie playing at OLB as well.

This is why I don't understand when I hear people say how the team has so many pieces in place to make a run. It's a head scratcher too me.

What leads you to believe we will have a rookie playing CB and OLB? Free Agency hasn't even started.

What words would you prefer? "The Packers have a lot of pieces in place?" Your posts make it sound like the Packers are a train wreck, except for AR. I don't think a lot of other posters agree with that. Yes, the Packers have some pieces they need to get in place (CB, OLB), but I think you will find that situation with most of the other 31 teams at this time of year.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
What leads you to believe we will have a rookie playing CB and OLB? Free Agency hasn't even started.

What words would you prefer? "The Packers have a lot of pieces in place?" Your posts make it sound like the Packers are a train wreck, except for AR. I don't think a lot of other posters agree with that. Yes, the Packers have some pieces they need to get in place (CB, OLB), but I think you will find that situation with most of the other 31 teams at this time of year.

Were they a train wreck heading into week 11 when in week 11 Rodgers started to play at a super human level?

Ahh Free Agency lol

https://mobile.twitter.com/PackersFans_/status/836306844477976578

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers offense is for sure good enough to win a Super Bowl. There's no doubt the defense needs to be improved, especially at cornerback and outside linebacker, but the unit doesn't need to be elite for the team to win another title.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
The Packers offense is for sure good enough to win a Super Bowl. There's no doubt the defense needs to be improved, especially at cornerback and outside linebacker, but the unit doesn't need to be elite for the team to win another title.

In all my time posting on this forum ive never said they need to be elite and with the current regime there never going to be.

With that said if they can play defense at a 2014 level or a tick better they should be fine.

D

Deleted member 6794

With that said if they can play defense at a 2014 level or a tick better they should be fine.

The Packers defense was decent in 2015 as well. If the unit returns to that level of play or maybe a slightlybetter one the team would be tough to beat.

OP
OP
McKnowledge

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is assuming they can keep the offense intact

I concur. I would really like to see the Packers add a RB and WR. Either free agency or draft. Doesn't have to break break the bank or be a high draft pick. But the more weapons added on both sides of the ball, creating more depth, will sustain production in when injuries occur.

OP
OP
McKnowledge

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He may be a little heavy and slow to man the middle. He does great in the patriots scheme but who knows.

If a player contributes in an impactful way within the Patriots scheme/system, then they should thrive elsewhere. Patriots system is always fluid, on both sides of the ball, changing depending on several factors.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I concur. I would really like to see the Packers add a RB and WR. Either free agency or draft. Doesn't have to break break the bank or be a high draft pick. But the more weapons added on both sides of the ball, creating more depth, will sustain production in when injuries occur.
I will bet the farm you get your wish. They add at least a few of each every year for camp. Doesn't mean any hang around to improve the position.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
The Packers certainly have positions of need, specifically cornerback, but above all, the Packers simply need more PLAYMAKERS on defense. I don't care what the position is, just give me some playmakers.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts