Should Green Bay make a play for LB Donta Hightower?

Should the Packers sign Donta Hightower?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
OP
McKnowledge

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thumper on the inside. Idk his well he does in coverage tho. We need a 3 down ilb. Who can run!! Hightower isn't very fast.

Hightower is a three down linebacker. He is 26. Major contributor on two Super Bowl winning teams. Rodger's window is longer than Brady's. Pay this guy and have no worries about that position for the next five years.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hightower is a three down linebacker. He is 26. Major contributor on two Super Bowl winning teams. Rodger's window is longer than Brady's. Pay this guy and have no worries about that position for the next five years.
I'd like him also but what would it cost? Probably more than he's worth. Someone will throw a 10mil per contract at him my guess.

OP
OP
McKnowledge

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like him also but what would it cost? Probably more than he's worth. Someone will throw a 10mil per contract at him my guess.

1) It's not my money...And it's not yours!
2) Green Bay Packers make money hand over fist
3) Cap will go up each year...It's the NFL
3) He's worth it
4) Front load his contract (large signing bonus and guarantee, spread cap hit over subsequent years)
5) He's worth it

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes! He's worth it! Perry and Clay on the outside then

Sign him and Bouye/Johnson/Revis and they will probably go all the way

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
where in the world are you getting the money for this plan?

I honestly haven't looked at the cap situation or numbers man lol...

But it's APPARENT that you need a difference maker at inside
I've posted I like Blake and Jake Ryan but... they're just solid/role players... people claiming they can make All Pro or Pro Bowl some day need to lay off the pipe

Move Clay inside or draft an INside linebacker that can come in immediately and make a difference but I doubt one could be had as late as we pick

Moving Clay inside helps but it creates a whole on the outside(I believe Perry will be back on the opposite though). Fackrell could be "ok" but who else? Melvin Ingram? Best bet is to keep Clay outside and RESTRUCTURE his contract

"number one" cornerback is a MUST... I don't believe you can get one in the late 1st round either again... Revis is on the back end of his career and could probably sign for a short term deal, which is IDEAL actually

D

Deleted member 6794

Hightower will most likely demand a contract averaging $10 million a season. That's too much money for the Packers considering the team should address cornerback and outside linebacker first and foremost.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hightower will most likely demand a contract averaging $10 million a season. That's too much money for the Packers considering the team should address cornerback and outside linebacker first and foremost.

There was a plan that would have freed up well over $10 mil for Hightower in another thread. :)

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score

But Matthews, Cobb and an aging Nelson are okay? The $ 10M avg is fine, Cap.
Besides cuts, retirements, contract renegotiations, the cap will probably go up over $10M again next year( as it just did today).
It's how you structure it. Look at Cobbs deal; he's well below the average the first what, 2-3 years of the deal? When it balloons at the end, do you really believe they'll pay that, or renegotiate/cut him?
5 yrs, $50M; $25M guaranteed, $17M SB.
2017- $3.4M proration for SB; $2.5M base salary, cap total- $5.9M.
That's a quick and easy simplistic version using just base and SB, but you get it.

D

Deleted member 6794

But Matthews, Cobb and an aging Nelson are okay? The $ 10M avg is fine, Cap.

When it balloons at the end, do you really believe they'll pay that, or renegotiate/cut him?
5 yrs, $50M; $25M guaranteed, $17M SB.
2017- $3.4M proration for SB; $2.5M base salary, cap total- $5.9M.
That's a quick and easy simplistic version using just base and SB, but you get it.

There's no doubt that I rather have Hightower playing inside linebacker at a cap hit of $10 million than Matthews counting another 50% on top of it against the cap.

I'm not convinced the Packers will renegotiate Matthews' or Cobb's contract down the road or release any of them as Thompson hasn't done that a lot over his tenure.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no doubt that I rather have Hightower playing inside linebacker at a cap hit of $10 million than Matthews counting another 50% on top of it against the cap.

I'm not convinced the Packers will renegotiate Matthews' or Cobb's contract down the road or release any of them as Thompson hasn't done that a lot over his tenure.

Then again, my hope would be that when such time arrives, Thompson won't be here anymore.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1) It's not my money...And it's not yours!
2) Green Bay Packers make money hand over fist
3) Cap will go up each year...It's the NFL
3) He's worth it
4) Front load his contract (large signing bonus and guarantee, spread cap hit over subsequent years)
5) He's worth it
He may be a little heavy and slow to man the middle. He does great in the patriots scheme but who knows.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The guy is a football player and a playmaker- something we are in very short supply of. I highly doubt he ends up anywhere but New England, but I'd make a hard run at him.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers need to get faster on defense. For years they've been one of the slowest defenses in the NFL. Especially at lb.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Hightower is a good player and comes up big in the most important games, but if they invest in him they had better make sure Capers knows what he's getting and will deploy him correctly. He isn't a coverage linebacker. You can use him as a stack and shed MIKE or an edge setting SAM in the base 3-4, and on passing downs you're most likely going to want to blitz him as his cover skills are not a strength. That is likely why the Patriots are ok with letting him test the market. He isn't dynamic enough to have more than a niche role. He has very defined strengths and weaknesses.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hightower is a great MIKE as stated earlier.. He fits well because you can keep Perry and Clay outside

Then you can use Blake/Thomas in coverage on passing downs

I would much prefer Hightower > Trevathon (last year)

OP
OP
McKnowledge

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hightower is a good player and comes up big in the most important games, but if they invest in him they had better make sure Capers knows what he's getting and will deploy him correctly. He isn't a coverage linebacker. You can use him as a stack and shed MIKE or an edge setting SAM in the base 3-4, and on passing downs you're most likely going to want to blitz him as his cover skills are not a strength. That is likely why the Patriots are ok with letting him test the market. He isn't dynamic enough to have more than a niche role. He has very defined strengths and weaknesses.

He's 26. 2X Super Bowl winning MAJOR contributor. Play to his strengthens. Build LB Corp around him. Packers have the safeties. The DT's. And a HOF Defensive Coordinator. Get some vet CB's. A handful of pass rushers. And PSYCHO that s***!!!

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's kind of funny reading a thread of people arguing whether or not the Packers should sign a guy who won't even be brought into Green Bay for a visit.

OP
OP
McKnowledge

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did they hire someone I am unaware of?

Yea. I was reaching a little with that. However, when he has the requisite pieces I think his defenses are top notch. That Psycho package during the 2010 Champ run was great football. Linebackers and safeties, 1 DT, man coverage from corners...Hard hitting Safety up top with sideline to sideline range...very exciting to see when deployed. Packers need Corners and Linebackers. Would love for the Packers to pick up both Hightower and maybe DeAndre Levy.

Members online

Latest posts