Should Favre's number be retired?

Reaction score
I remember reading that the Packers stopped retiring numbers.

With Favre's time drawing to a close, do you think the Packers should retire Favre's number, or stick to their policy of not retiring any more numbers?

BigPlay31

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think anyone has to worry about someone else ever wearing number 4 ever again. Even if they don't retire his number, which I'm sure that they will, I'm sure that the packers will have 451 ceremonies honoring him, if not his number.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the league has requested that numbers not be retired. That said, his will be retired almost immediately upon his retirement...as it should. Unlike so many other teams, the Packers, given their historic number of truly great players over the decades, have displayed great restraint in those that they do choose to retire.....unlike other teams.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It will be retired. It's easy because #4 is not in high demand anyway, unlike those numbers above 20, and especially in the 80s and 90s.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they don't they should just shut down Lambeau.

I mean c'mon guys. If some player was actually HANDED #4 do you really think they would wear it?

The only #4 after Brett will be in the stands drinking beer.

There will lot's of those.

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:

With Favre's time drawing to a close, do you think the Packers should retire Favre's number, or stick to their policy of not retiring any more numbers?

I would say yes. Why shouldnt some numbers be retired. I cant dream of anyone in number 4

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers announced some time back that Brett favre's # 4 will be retired.

The NFL had a directive issued, suggesting that NFL teams discontinued retiring numbers As one poster said on this topic, The Packers have very few numbers retired.

In fact only five numbers in Packer's history. #14 The great pass receiver and Hall of Famer Don Hutson number.

#3 RB Tony Canedeo number was retired , Tony is a Hall of Famer , who in 1949 became the first Packer running back in Packer history to gain over 1,000 yards in a season. In those days The NFL had a 12 game season.

#15 QB Bart Starr 's number was retired along with his teammate's #66 LB Ray Nitschke, number was retired , both Hall of Famers and members of "Glory Years Packer teams" coached by Vince Lombardi.

The last number to have been retired by the Green Bay Packers was #92 Hall of Famer DE Reggie White which was done after that NFL directive was issued concerning not retiring numbers anymore.

By the way two other num bers are not being used by the Packers but are not retired. #1 which was used By Hall of Famer and (Back) Earl "Curly" Lambeau who was co- Founder of the team, & first Captain of the team , then became head Coach/GM and was a player from 1919 to 1929. In those day it was common to have a playing coach for a NFL franchise'

Goege Halas was the founder and head coach also a playing coach for the Bears in the early days and is a Hall of Famer.. I think The Chicago Bears have 16 numbers retired.

Hall of Famer RB Paul Hornung # 5 is no longer being used but has not been retired.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It would be insane not to retire it and put it on the ring of honor.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
vegOmatic, posted " They will but I think retiring numbers is dumb."

It is the ultimate honor to a very Great Player of team can get from his team to show the team' s appreciation for he being one of the very great player to play for his team. As I said , in a previous post , it has only been done for 5 players, who have got this honor from the Packers in their 86 years of Packers being in the NFL. And Brett Favre will be the sixth to have his number retired.

This tradition of pro football teams is probably going to end ,because of the directive by NFL to discontinue this tradition of retiring player's numbers by NFL franchise members.

Some fans (sometimes younger fans) don't appreciate history of their franchise's greatest players and their franchise's history . Maybe some day when they may become a more mature fan of their favorite football team, they might learn to appreciate the accmplishments of those who earned the right to have their jersey number retired.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i dont know why the NFL are so picky about numbers, like not letting Cbs and WRs wearing single digit numbers. like it really matter. The reason they dont want numbers retired is if it comes to a sitation where all the numbers between 80-89 and 10-19 are taken by a combination of retired numbers/current players then a WR may have to take another number which the NFL dosent want. which is stupid by any reason!

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i dont know why the NFL are so picky about numbers, like not letting Cbs and WRs wearing single digit numbers. like it really matter. The reason they dont want numbers retired is if it comes to a sitation where all the numbers between 80-89 and 10-19 are taken by a combination of retired numbers/current players then a WR may have to take another number which the NFL dosent want. which is stupid by any reason!

This is true Tiger but I guess assigning numbers helps both the fans follow what is going on and also the refs.
If a player is wearing #56, he better not be beyond the line of scrimmage prior to the QB throwing the ball. Also the numbering system helps the officals make sure that there are the correct players on the line of scrimmage when the ball is snapped.
The need on the Defense side of the ball for wearing numbers isn't as impt to the refs but helps the fans. If there is a zone blitz and you see #98 drop off the line and cover the TE you know right away that he isn't a LB or CB. When #50 can't cover the RB coming out of the backfield you know that the RB wasn't covered by a DB.
These are small things to be sure but it helps a bit.

refpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This is the dumbest post ever..........OF COURSE THEY SHOULD!!!

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just like the rest of you said, I think they are going to retire his number because there is never goiing to be another #4 Brett Favre.

Members online

Latest posts