Should Brett Favre be able to decide AFTER the NFL Draft?

Should Brett Favre be able to make his decision AFTER the NFL Draft?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FROM JSONLINE:

Favre bonus pushed back to July

The Green Bay Packers have taken the nettlesome roster bonus issue out of the Brett Favre retirement equation, moving the deadline for the $3 million payment to July 27, thus guaranteeing it won't have to be addressed again until the start of training camp.

According to a source familiar with the contract, Favre and the Packers agreed to move the roster bonus deadline from Saturday to July 27. The move all but guarantees that the Packers won't receive a decision from Favre this weekend, but it doesn't necessarily mean they won't hear anything until the start of camp.

The roster bonus date has been an artificial deadline used to encourage Favre to make a decision. However, it has been moved three times previously, from the fifth day of the new league year to the 12th day (March 22) to April 1 to April 15.

If Favre is on the roster at the time the deadline hits, he is guaranteed a $3 million payment on Dec. 1. It has previously been reported that the roster payment date was in September, but that is not the case.

However, the deadline is somewhat artificial because if it passes, the Packers don't owe Favre anything until December. Thus, contrary to some reports he does not become a free agent if the Packers don't hand over $3 million the day the roster bonus is due.

The Packers continue to move the roster bonus only as a safeguard against the unlikely scenario that Favre would play somewhere else. If the bonus date passes and Favre winds up playing for another team, then the Packers would be liable to pay him $3 million on Dec. 1.

So they continue to move the date just to be safe.

If the bonus date passes and Favre retires before the season starts he does not receive the money in December.

Moving the roster date to July 27 takes pressure off the Packers and Favre, especially in regard to media coverage. Every time the deadline date comes up there is increasing media coverage of Favre's impending decision whether to retire.

It's looking more and more like Favre won't make a decision until after the NFL draft April 29-30, although it's unclear whether that has been discussed between the two parties. General manager Ted Thompson has refused to discuss specifics of the roster bonus issue but has acknowledged that it's not a sure thing Favre will apprise him of his decision before the draft.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not Again! Didn't we just do this poll a few days ago. Why run the same poll over again.

The poll is irrelivant, when did Brett say he was going to wait until after the draft?

Brett shouldmake a decision by the beginning of camp. TT has stated it his indecision has not effected what the team was trying to do. This subject is a dead horse that you refuse to quit kicking.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Should Brett Favre be able to decide AFTER the NFL Draft

tromadz said:
It's looking more and more like Favre won't make a decision until after the NFL draft April 29-30, although it's unclear whether that has been discussed between the two parties. General manager Ted Thompson has refused to discuss specifics of the roster bonus issue but has acknowledged that it's not a sure thing Favre will apprise him of his decision before the draft.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing that BUT nowhere does it say Brett said that, just more speculation from the media

route25

Cheesehead
Reaction score

MM has said that up to now Favre's situation has not affected what he is trying to do. However, he also said if Favre is not here for the first mini-camp, that he will then be affecting the team. I believe the first mini-camp is shortly after the draft. I look for Favre to make an announcement the day after the draft, if not sooner.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT's statement is politically correct B.S. MS tried to give a deadline last year, which resulted in a lot of flack from Brett, and thus the Packer community. TT is just saying what he has to in order to avoid the same public relations fiasco.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

musccy said:
TT's statement is politically correct B.S. MS tried to give a deadline last year, which resulted in a lot of flack from Brett, and thus the Packer community. TT is just saying what he has to in order to avoid the same public relations fiasco.
:agree:

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah you guys know what it REALLYYYYYYY MEANNNSSSS!

Speculation,Speculation,Speculation,Speculation,Speculation,Speculation,Speculation on and on and on

One minute you guys are saying the fans are getting angry because Brett won't make a decision, then, TT does not want to force Brett into a decision because the fans would get angry.

Uhhh, which one is it?

You guys know nothing, you can SPECULATE all you want. TT may want a decision for the same reason we do, anticipation, but knows that he just has to be patient because if Brett leaves there goes any slim shot we had at a playoff apperance.

They pushed back the deadline to late July, so SPECULATE on why that is. It sure doesn't look like a guy who needs to know tommorrow what the decision will be. I mean, push it back to mid-May or May 1st if you want to appease both sides, but late July?

It sure looks to me like they want to put this whole media frenzy to bed by saying Brett will decide when he decides,and now has all the time in the world to do so. Then again, thats just speculation, I will let you experts who know what TT is "subliminally saying" decode it for me.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know Porky, it's hard to tell him he can't. Not because he 'Wants to avoid a PR nightmare", like TT's Brain Reader thinks, but because I really don't think TT wants Brett gone anymore than we do.

TT holds the cards, when he thinks that Brett is keeping this team from doing anything that would jeoprdize the future, he can play them.

Obviously TT believes that Brett will make a decision before it gets to that point. You don't move a deadline back to late July if you think you need to know by April 29th. TT knows the decision is coming soon enough and all this SPECULATION by the Media has become a little ridiculous.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver...

So, TT said Brett's decision has no impact...right? Do you honestly believe that had Brett retired in Jan, TT would have approached FA the same way? Do you honestly believe that he wouldn't have brought in Brees, Griese, or some other vet?

TT is as non-controversial as you can get...look at how he dealt w/ MS...so do you really think he'd be willing to come out and say "Brett, hurry the hell up, your indecision is f'ing up our offseason" ? Of course not! Again, look at the heat MS received for trying to force Brett into a decision last offseason.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes Musccy this has been debated over and over and over.

We spent a first rounder on A-Rod last year, now you are saying if Brett left we were going to Ink some suck-*** QB to a 4 year contract before A-Rod even got a chance to play? Then we could have go 8-8 for 3-4 years until A-Rod, a 1st round, 5 year benchwarmer now steps in and shows if he can do anything?

How long do you want this team to take retooling?

I don't care what your opinion is of A-Rod, you don't draft a guy and let him sit for 5 years and you sure don't release him before he ever starts an NFL game!

Do you think Brees was going to sign a 1 year contract? Your out of your mind. We drafted A-Rod and when Brett goes, whether tommorrow or 5 years from now, he will be the guy under center for GB.

The only thing Brett could have possibly effected was a backup QB we could have brought in and last I checked there a dozen still out there.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver...

Do you know who Tom Arth is?

Well you better get to know him pretty quick because at the moment he is the #3 qb for the Pack, #2 if Brett retires.

Yes, AR is getting the next shot, but they needed some sort of a reliable vet back up who I have NO DOUBT they would have gone after had Brett retired. His decision impacts the Packers no matter what TT says, and not just at qb...as has been alluded to, there is some concern that it's impacting other FA positions, e.g. Arrington's decision.

smlutz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think he should have until the draft. I think the Pack was looking to take a QB possibly in the later rounds of the draft. If he would announce retirement before they might be able to pick someone like Drew Olsen up before he's off the board.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You said Reliable Backup, but mentioned Drew Brees. Last time I checked Brees did not get paid to be a "reliable backup"

No I don't know who Tom Arth is but I do know who

Jeff Blake is
Vinny Testeverde is
Jamie Martin is
Tommy Maddox is
Anthony Wright is
Tony Banks is
Jay Fiedler is

They are guys still floating around.

We were probably going to sign Brees to a 6 year 70 million dollar contract to be a back-up, huh.

So now can we quit with the "Favre's holding this team back" thing, and start being truthful, by saying that you are just impatient?

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, Arrington wanting to much Jack is the problem.

The Browns who have no clue who the QB is going to be, seemed to do Ok in Free Agency.

The Vikes seem to be doing OK with a QB mess, unless you think Brad Johnson is a stud. The Bills have signed some guys,Etc,Etc.

Everyone TT has brought in,of any importance, has signed except for AV, who wanted to kick in a dome, and Arrington/Woodson who want to many greenbacks. Just another bogus cover-up for impatience.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mentioned Brees because some are not comfortable w/ AR...I, personally, am on the fence, but at the moment, the fact is that Brees is proven, AR is not.

Those vets are sketchy at best too....Maddox demonstrated how valuable Roth is, Testaverde is 43? Martin is the only qb I might consider.

and as I said, it doesn't just impact qbs...it has been speculated that arrington's decision is impacted by Brett's, and who knows how his indecision has impacted other FAs.

I respect your posts, but I just don't see how you can consider instability and uncertainty with the cornerstone of your team to be a positive situation.

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:

We spent a first rounder on A-Rod last year, now you are saying if Brett left we were going to Ink some suck-*** QB to a 4 year contract before A-Rod even got a chance to play? Then we could have go 8-8 for 3-4 years until A-Rod, a 1st round, 5 year benchwarmer now steps in and shows if he can do anything?

I don't care what your opinion is of A-Rod, you don't draft a guy and let him sit for 5 years and you sure don't release him before he ever starts an NFL game!

Do you think Brees was going to sign a 1 year contract? Your out of your mind. We drafted A-Rod and when Brett goes, whether tommorrow or 5 years from now, he will be the guy under center for GB.

The only thing Brett could have possibly effected was a backup QB we could have brought in and last I checked there a dozen still out there.

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

musccy said:
pyledriver...

So, TT said Brett's decision has no impact...right? Do you honestly believe that had Brett retired in Jan, TT would have approached FA the same way? Do you honestly believe that he wouldn't have brought in Brees, Griese, or some other vet?

TT is as non-controversial as you can get...look at how he dealt w/ MS...so do you really think he'd be willing to come out and say "Brett, hurry the hell up, your indecision is f'ing up our offseason" ? Of course not! Again, look at the heat MS received for trying to force Brett into a decision last offseason.
:joy:

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Musccy with all due respect, do you even read what I say.

You can love Brees to death, hell you can make man-love with him if you want BUT there was no way Brees was coming to GB if Favre retired or not. No way, No How.

I don't think anyone is COMFORATABLE with A-Rod. Theres never been one QB in this league that was playing his first NFL game that the coach,fans, or hot dog vendor was Comforatable with. I seem to remember a little uncomforatableness when #4 ran on the field the first time. Fact is you have to give the guy a shot. Don't delay the inevitable for 4 years by signing some half-*** QB to go 8-8 while A-Rod holds a clipboard.

I don't think you get it, I don't want Testeverde to start, or anyone else. If Brett goes the future is now. If A-Rod blows the sooner we move on. Plenty of guys out there to sign for veteran leadership to A-Rod.

The Free Agents have been addressed as well. Please tell mewho we did not get because Brett was indecisive?

I am glad Tro is reduced to playing the "cheerleader role." That's what happens when you cannot look objectively at things and no longer have a leg to stand on.

It's ok Tro, sometimes I fight with my wife and I know I am wrong, but just can't admit it. She makes too much sense and I can't seem to tell her I was wrong. It's all good

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anubis said:
pyledriver80 said:

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

Agree as well, no more needs to be said !!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts