1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting at NIU

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by wpr, Feb 14, 2008.

1. wpr

wpr Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    It is a sad world when these shootings happen every year. I use to worry about my kids getting mugged if they went to one of the schools in Chicago. Then I wondered if someone would get them if they walked on campus at night. This is so much worse that I ever imagined.

Chicago Trib

Both of my kids were on campus at the time of the shooting. My daughter was walking to her next class in Cole Hall (The building where the shooting ocurred). She could hear the shots being fired. The thing that is so upseting to her is that when this happened on the Vir Tech campus the gunman was doing his shooting on his way to the building as well.

2. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    There are lots of sick people out there today. If someone wants to commit a violent crime, theres no way to stop them. NO PLACE in this country is safe anymore.

3. JoshTheChild

JoshTheChild Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    i hate news like this, dangit

4. nathaniel

nathaniel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Unbelievable. My sister-in-law attended NIU last year, and it's crazy that it really does happen close to home.

I'm very glad your kids are ok, wpr. I can't even imagine how they must be feeling.

5. wpr

wpr Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks nathaniel. I appreciate it.
    After the shock wore off a bit I stopped to think about those other parents who were not as blessed as my wife and I were. I feel so bad for them.
    My daughter's boyfriend is so upset over this that he will not talk to anyone on the phone and he did a tour in Iraq. He had to go and pick her up as her car is in a parking lot that is still shut down by the authorities since it is right next to Cole Hall.

6. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    WPR... I am glad that your children and those they care for made it safely through the day. I wish we could say that for all those involved today, my prayers go out to all those caught in today's tragedy.. those that lost their lives, their families and all those that will have to deal with this for the days to come.

Really what is this country comming to.. almost to the point where you want to make sure you have some sort of protection with you. Something straight out of the old west.. those are sad thoughts to have in this great country.

Again.. WPR.. yell if you there is anything we can do from where I am at.. just yell.

7. vikesrule

vikesrule Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    wpr, I am very glad that your kids are safe. This is truly another tragic incident.
    My prayers go out to those families that are affected by this senseless act.

I can understand your daughter's boyfriend's reaction.
    When you've been in harms way, certain sights, sounds or events can trigger a "survival-mode" and make you go "hard".

Please keep a close eye on your kids in the days and months to come, as their emotional health could be fragile.

8. Packers_Finland

Packers_Finland Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I lost my cousin in the finnish Jokela school shooting last year. I'm just glad nothing happened to your kids.

9. wpr

wpr Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you all for your kind words. We appreciate it. Although my daughter has a place 30 miles from us, we will keep a close watch on her. I have no problem getting her in to talk to someone if needed. Fortunately I have a brother in law who lives in the Twin Cities who is a psychologist and has been a school councilor before he took a teaching position at a small college. He seems eminently qualified to handle the basics. He is going to give her a call and check in on her.
    Her boyfriend's parents own the place that she lives in. They are near by and will be watching her and her boyfriend, who lives about a mile away with his grandfather.