Shockey

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
damn subin way to drop the mood haha

Packers have much more future potential than the giants. Eli is overrated and easy to game plan against. tiki is gone, shockey might be leaving ... and they have the same record as we do. they are clearly on the downfall and really not a threat anymore. if your a free agent and looking for winning. and your last two choices are brett favre and the young green bay packers or Eli manning and the quickly deteriorating NY giants.

GB everytime baby.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well........maybe he will want to come here IF Favre is returning. I think alot hinges on that small thing.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shockey is not leaving New York anytime soon. And if he does, he'll want to go to a winner. This just isn't happening

A winner? Shockey is a human being. He'll go to the money. That's just the way it is. Green Bay can get him IF they want. Make him the highest paid TE ever and he'll signed the dotted line easily.

With that said I think he'll stay in New York.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think almost anyone would come here if we make them the highest paid player at their position...

but I dont think thats Teds style.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Didn't Wolf make Reggie the highest paid player at the time..?

Yeah..

I guess his Wolf's style was for winning...so why wouldn't that be TT's style as well...?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
um, GMs have built winning teams without making guys the highest paid players at their positions...

waiting for that ignore feature to actually work, ryan.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
That's close. White was the highest paid defensive player when he signed with the Packers in 1993.

My lord. If Charles Woodson plays under his current contract. In 2012 he'll make 6.5 MILLION! Wow

edit, if you wanna know who was actually the highest paid player in the NFL in 1993. "Steve Young's holdout was over before it started. His agent and the San Francisco 49ers reached agreement yesterday on a five-year contract worth $26.5 million, making last year's leading passer and MVP the NFL's highest paid player. "

If you don't believe that. Check out who won the 1992 MVP. "1992
• Steve Young, QB - San Francisco (Pro Football Writers Association of America, Associated Press, Maxwell Club of Philadelphia, "The Sporting News")"

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:

Yeah..

I guess his Wolf's style was for winning...so why wouldn't that be TT's style as well...?

Everyone has their own style. Wolf's isn't the only style and that's the end of it. Wolf also didn't go out and make everyone the highest paid player in the NFL. No matter where Reggie White signed that year he would've been the higest paid Defensive player of that time. New England has a different style and it has worked well.

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't the Vikings make Hutchinson the highest paid Guard in league history last year? How did that work for them? That is how you end up having salary cap problems and not able to re-sign your own free agents.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't the Vikings make Hutchinson the highest paid Guard in league history last year? How did that work for them? That is how you end up having salary cap problems and not able to re-sign your own free agents.

lol good luck getting through.

Adam Archuleta was made the highest paid Safety EVER when he signed with Washington last year. He was benched during the year too. So you never know.

However Shockey certainly would warrant a big contract on the open market so I wouldn't consider picking him up for big money a bad move at all especially with the need.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
However Shockey certainly would warrant a big contract on the open market so I wouldn't consider picking him up for big money a bad move at all especially with the need.

That..was actually my POINT..Porky..thanks for "getting it"... :thumbsup:

What good is having a pile of money and cap room if you just sit on it or sew it into your mattress, or whatever...?

You have to make some moves as a GM to compete in the NFL..and some bold ones at that...

No one is going to emulate New England because it is Bellichick's system that depends upon him coaching it, and he knows how to plug in players to fit his system...(Is there any coach on the Packers who you can compare to Bill Bellichick?)

The answer is NO.

So, the smart thing to do would be to build around your strengths, and right now, and for the last few years, that strength in GB has been their QB..Brett Favre.

So TT...please..finally go out and get some offensive weapons to support the strength of your team...your QB...and go after guys like Shockey and Moss so that the Packers can take the next step...

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
actually the strength of the team appears to be the defense. it was leaning that way the end of this year, and with the offseason moves, it appears it will be (al,chuck,hawk,hodge,collins,kampman). The offense does need to be addressed, but its not going to be the strength of this team.

Defense wins chapionships.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:

Yeah..

Everyone has their own style. Wolf's isn't the only style and that's the end of it. Wolf also didn't go out and make everyone the highest paid player in the NFL. No matter where Reggie White signed that year he would've been the higest paid Defensive player of that time. New England has a different style and it has worked well.

Not everyone can execute New England's philosophy...except someone coming from N.E., imo..

If you recall...I advocated for Mangina...I mean...Mangini to be the coach of the GB Packers a while back...Then you would have something close to N.E. you need someone who can run the system.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
actually the strength of the team appears to be the defense. it was leaning that way the end of this year, and with the offseason moves, it appears it will be (al,chuck,hawk,hodge,collins,kampman). The offense does need to be addressed, but its not going to be the strength of this team.

Defense wins chapionships.

Really..? That's funny..because the Baltimore Ravens lost yesterday. And unless you think the Bears are going to the SB..then your argument will take another hit.

I think that arguments over used and a fallacy...

You need a good defense to be sure..(which I'm not convinced the Packers are yet), but if your offense can't score points...you aren't winning any championships....! :thumbsup:

Defense alone will not do it..and the strength of the Packers was not the defense this year. That is a huge stretch! Look at how they were getting blown out almost all year..

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that...doesnt make sense.

GB isnt doing it EXACTLY like N.E. The Patriots don't run a zone scheme, we do. Thus we pick up people for 'our system.'

The only thing(the most important thing) that is copying N.E. is getting a lot of your players through the draft (and some pickups through FA like Woodson and Pickett) and build a stout defense, and get yourself an offense that can manage a game, run the ball, yet be called upon when it has to, but not all the time.

GB isn't copying their system, but philosophy on how to build the team(Steelers too, this just isnt a patriot thing, this is a champion thing)

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Isn't that what the Ravens tried to do this year..??

The reason N.E. wins is BECAUSE of Bellichick and Tom Brady....

(I don't think it's as simple as your making it out to be..but we'll see now, i guess..this year if TT's plan is the right one...)

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just said..its not just a patriots thing..................................................

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your just being difficult now.

You absolutely have to have a great defense to win a superbowl. no questions about it. The NFL has changed. There isnt one offense in the league that can win the game alone any more. San Diego is close, but then again... there defense is pretty damn good too. Great Defenses cancel out Great offenses. its just how it is now. you build yourself a stellar defense and crank out an above average offense and your a playoff team. the exact direction the packers are going.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Your just being difficult now.

You absolutely have to have a great defense to win a superbowl. no questions about it. The NFL has changed. There isnt one offense in the league that can win the game alone any more. San Diego is close, but then again... there defense is pretty damn good too. Great Defenses cancel out Great offenses. its just how it is now. you build yourself a stellar defense and crank out an above average offense and your a playoff team. the exact direction the packers are going.

Gee..

I guess you didn't see that Ravens/Colts game yesterday...or the Eagles/Saints game either.

Both teams with the better defense lost those games...

Didn't the Ravens have the #1 defense in the NFL..??

I didn't say that you didn't need a good defense to win championships. You absolutely do.

BUT..without having a great offense...more often than not, you will not win championships....and the original point was since Brett Favre is the strength of your team, why not surround him with the talent to make this a great offense in GB...like Peyton Manning has...(and San Diego, New Orleans..Dallas...etc)

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hey..

I just figured out what TT's problem is....

He was a "defensive guy" in the NFL...

The question is..does he have what it takes as a GM to be able to build a good OFFENSE in the NFL..?? (and don't bring up Seattle because he did not build that team...he wasn't the GM...there were others involved...)

Members online

Latest posts