Shields' talks heating up

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
If that's true, TT should have done the same thing he did with Woodson and just let him go.
This makes no sense. We are not privy to the numbers but it's clear the Packers and Shield's agent are in negotiations - IOW the Packers want Shields back. Woodson was at the end of his career and the Packers didn't want him back so their situations are at polar opposites.

This jsonline blog entry says,
One NFL source familiar with the Packers front office predicted their offer was in the $6-7 million per year range...
Again we don't know how much was offered but perhaps this rumor makes you feel better? The same story, after reiterating the report/rumor about a contract similar to Tim Jennings' says,
However, with the cap going up by $10 million it's possible Shields' number went up and he decided that there would be an active market for a 26-year-old starting cornerback. The cornerback market is robust though with veterans such as Brent Grimes, Aqib Talib, Alterraun Verner, Vontae Davis and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie also unrestricted free agents.
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/packers.html

Shields should be the priority to re-sign but not at ridiculous money and we don't know whether or not that's what Rosenhaus is asking for. IOW Thompson could know what he's doing and still not be able to sign Shields because his demands are ridiculous.

Of course we will comment on every move and non-move Thompson makes. But IMO final conclusions about this offseason should wait until the beginning of TC.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whitner is not getting tagged so he will hit the market.

Would the Packers be better with either :

a.) Tramon, Casey/Hyde/House, Burnett, Whitner
b.) Tramon, Shields, Burnett, draft pick

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whitner is not getting tagged so he will hit the market.

Would the Packers be better with either :

a.) Tramon, Casey/Hyde/House, Burnett, Whitner
b.) Tramon, Shields, Burnett, draft pick

I know Whitner can play ..a rookie has to. Prove he can play so I'll take the proven guy who is already better then our best safety .

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel like these are the days Rodell lives for. Free agency news and, of course, TT and Packers are silent. He can play fantasy football, talk about how X big-name free agent or Woodson would be so much better. Use hindsight at all opportunities. And, most importantly, completely ignore the cap ramifications for making the desired big free agent moves.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel like these are the days Rodell lives for. Free agency news and, of course, TT and Packers are silent. He can play fantasy football, talk about how X big-name free agent or Woodson would be so much better. Use hindsight at all opportunities. And, most importantly, completely ignore the cap
ramifications for making the desired big free agent moves.

Yea ok. I won't even go in on your annoying remarks. Woosah.

packfan1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah...Shields is good, NOT GREAT. I would like him back, but lets not hate on TT for not wanting to pay a GOOD player more than (likely) 7-8 million dollars a year. The Packers will be just fine without Sam Shields if someone wants to OVERPAY. I as a fan am NOT interested in OVERPAYING for GOOD, not GREAT talent. He had what 4 ints? Got hurt in the SF game. Shields tackling I thought did improve last season, but he is also has not been a consistent great tackler either. Yeah he has speed...big deal, he can still be pushed around by the bigger recievers in our division due to his lack of size. 7-8 million TOPS or let him go, do not overpay, period.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really wish House would take a giant step up to the next level. He has shown a few flashes of really good, physical man coverage. He also looked very lost in zone coverage. Shields was really the only guy that looked decent in zone this year. His speed allowed him to get where he needed to be. I want to envision Tramon and House playing somewhat like Seattle's corners. ....want to.

packfan1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets also not forget that draft/develop also lends itself to paying reasonable prices for the talent developed. Who knows what Shields is asking...probably something ridiculous like Revis money.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets also not forget that draft/develop also lends itself to paying reasonable prices for the talent developed. Who knows what Shields is asking...probably something ridiculous like Revis money.

Highly doubt it. Rosenhaus is smart not dumb. Shields is the best corner on the team so Tramon Williams money maybe a little more sounds more realistically of what they want. If Williams got his money then why won't Teddy pay shields? Makes no sense.

Pack-12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Highly doubt it. Rosenhaus is smart not dumb. Shields is the best corner on the team so Tramon Williams money maybe a little more sounds more realistically of what they want. If Williams got his money then why won't Teddy pay shields? Makes no sense.

Shields has never played at the level Tramon did in 2010

H

HardRightEdge

According to Ian Rapoport the Packers offered Shields less than $6 million per season.
If true, that's a d*mn shame.

But hey, we could get as high as a 3rd. round compensation pick for Shields! And another comp pick for Raji! James Jones too!

In fact, if Thompson signs none of our 17 (or whatever the exact number is) unrestricted FAs, the 2015 draft could be a bonanza! :sleep:

Last edited by a moderator:

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah...Shields is good, NOT GREAT. I would like him back, but lets not hate on TT for not wanting to pay a GOOD player more than (likely) 7-8 million dollars a year. The Packers will be just fine without Sam Shields if someone wants to OVERPAY. I as a fan am NOT interested in OVERPAYING for GOOD, not GREAT talent. He had what 4 ints?

The starting safeties had none last year.

H

HardRightEdge

Shields has never played at the level Tramon did in 2010
In man coverage on the island, I'd take the 2013 Shields over the 2010 Williams. Williams is a smarter, more rounded player at this best, a better tackler and a better zone player, but we haven't seen much of that player the last 3 seasons.

Shields is a top 10 cover corner, or very close to it. I don't think I'd have ever said that about Williams.

We can hope Williams has new life based on how he closed the season.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Still think TT has an ace up his sleeve. Maybe see what the market offers and best it if it is still in his price range. Similar to Jones a few years back.

packfan1

Cheesehead
Reaction score

So Rosenhaus is smart...so what. Doesn't mean Shields is worth the $ he's asking for. Tramon also likely will need to restructure his contract/get extended which will reduce his cap number. There has been much talk of that, so comparing Shields to Tramon's contract really isn't worth a hill of beans for an argument.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So Rosenhaus is smart...so what. Doesn't mean Shields is worth the $ he's asking for. Tramon also likely will need to restructure his contract/get extended which will reduce his cap number. There has been much talk of that, so comparing Shields to Tramon's contract really isn't worth a hill of beans for an argument.

It's not about what he's worth it's about what someone is willing to pay and Rosenhaus is king of getting teams to pay more then they should. Completely agree on Tramon restructuring but I don't think he "needs" to, it would be nice if he did though.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tramon has a lot more leverage to avoid a pay cut if we don't sign Shields or another corner. He knows we can't afford to part with both him and Shields.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tramon has a lot more leverage to avoid a pay cut if we don't sign Shields or another corner. He knows we can't afford to part with both him and Shields.

The angle to sign him then would be offering him extended financial security for a short term pay cut.

D

Deleted member 6794

If true, that's a d*mn shame.

But hey, we could get as high as a 3rd. round compensation pick for Shields! And another comp pick for Raji! James Jones too!

In fact, if Thompson signs none of our 17 (or whatever the exact number is) unrestricted FAs, the 2015 draft could be a bonanza! :sleep:

Too bad teams can get only four per draft.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm watching NFL network in their talking about Sam Shields and it is amazing how Green Bay is not trying to make a better attempt to resign him!

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know what you mean by making a "better attempt." We're going to offer him what we're going to offer him, and if it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out. Not going to bend over backwards for him. Billboards? Bring in Jay-Z? lolol

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope Shields does leave. Can't wait to hear ppl complain about how sorry the secondary is next yr! If he does leave please save this thread and post so I can bring it up.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I hope Shields does leave. Can't wait to hear ppl complain about how sorry the secondary is next yr! If he does leave please save this thread and post so I can bring it up.
Take a step back and read this post as if you are a neutral observer. Does this look like the post of a Packers fan? The writer hopes a young talented player leaves the team, "can't wait to hear" complaints about how sorry the secondary is next year and apparently can't wait to rub Packers fans' noses in it.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts