Shields suffered bone bruise

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6794

According to Wes Hodkiewicz Shields suffered only a bone bruise in his left knee in yesterday's game.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Well, it makes a difference for upcoming contract negotiations.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Never heard of a "bone bruise."
How serious is it?
Is one in pain from it?

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does it matter? That news makes no real impact on the season as it is over. He has MANY months to heal.

Heck ya it matters! This is great news! Best news since the game ended yesterday. Got news for you...this could easily have been something that he wouldn't come back easily from, even in "many months".

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys suffering torn knees in the playoffs are rarely ready for training camp and are usually easing back into the game by the time regular season comes around. RGIII.... for the most recent example.

Bone bruises hurt to pressure on it. It's a significant bruise

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heck ya it matters! This is great news! Best news since the game ended yesterday.
#1- His contract is up. He doesn't even belong to us anymore. He's a free agent.
#2- Does this make anyone else but me wonder why he didn't tough it out and keep playing? Maybe it was the cold weather?
You got guys like Matthews trying to play with a broken thumb, Rodgers a broken collar bone, Lacy a busted up ankle. And Shields had a "bruise"? Is there more to it than that?
Bone bruise?
Sometimes I just think there's more to the headline than we get from our "medical PR".

Reaction score
Never heard of a "bone bruise."
How serious is it?
Is one in pain from it?
When I played Football, I suffered 3 bone bruises... They actually are quite painful and at least for mine, made the surrounding muscle stiff and a painful experience overall.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bone bruises are significant in the short term, but you typically heal quickly from them. I've had them twice in different spots and could barely walk let alone run, change direction, etc.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I had several bone bruises from the ol football days. The worst one was on the thigh area, femur bruise.....it took 2 weeks to be 100% normal again, so like I said.... no big deal, does not matter.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Teams have their own docs to check players out before signing them.

I have absolutely no idea what you´re talking about.

Shields injury makes a difference becuase if we would have suffered a torn ACL or any other injury with a recovery time of several months and some uncertainty about him being 100% ever again he wouldn´t have been able to ask for the kind of money he´s probably going to ask for now.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
frank...did you ever play any organized contact sports? it sure appears like you question a guys heart a lot and assume injuries are nothing unless bones break. most people that ever played any contact sports wouldn't be shocked that a player might miss games over some of these injuries. yes...a bone bruise can be brutal.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
#1- His contract is up. He doesn't even belong to us anymore. He's a free agent.
#2- Does this make anyone else but me wonder why he didn't tough it out and keep playing? Maybe it was the cold weather?
You got guys like Matthews trying to play with a broken thumb, Rodgers a broken collar bone, Lacy a busted up ankle. And Shields had a "bruise"? Is there more to it than that?
Bone bruise?
Sometimes I just think there's more to the headline than we get from our "medical PR".

I believe you are onto something, why risk injury when you're going to be an IN-DEMAND free agent...sucks, but he is gonzos

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
frank...did you ever play any organized contact sports? it sure appears like you question a guys heart a lot and assume injuries are nothing unless bones break. most people that ever played any contact sports wouldn't be shocked that a player might miss games over some of these injuries. yes...a bone bruise can be brutal.
I never had a bone bruise, but I've had injuries, bone breaks, etc.
You're right though that all injuries are different, with different pains, but also each man is different as far as pain-tolerances.

This is what I do know:
The Packers have way more guys get hurt than the 49ers. They did during the season, and they did during that first Niners drive of the game too. Magical that the Niners didn't suffer more, but we did.
Now when I heard that it was just a bruise for Shields, I thought: Hmm, maybe the Niners are just a tougher team who plays through things some of our guys step out for.
But then again, Shields probably didn't want to risk playing at 90% or whatever and putting on tape him getting beaten by Crabtree or Boldin, as it was his final job audition for the other 31 teams.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I had a bone bruise once on the front of my thigh. Got it playing paint-ball. I was jumping over a wet log, planted my foot of the slick surface, lost my balance and slammed down on a protruding stump.

I thought I broke my leg. Was carried to the car and driven to the hospital. Within a half hour, and before the doc saw me, the pain had subsided, but I still couldn't put any weight on it. To even flex it meant searing pain.

For 2-3 days, I lived on the couch.

Then, was able to get around, But used crutches for about two weeks.

Anyone who questions the validity of a "bone bruise" is being ignorant.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had a bone bruise once on the front of my thigh. Got it playing paint-ball. I was jumping over a wet log, planted my foot of the slick surface, lost my balance and slammed down on a protruding stump.

I thought I broke my leg. Was carried to the car and driven to the hospital. Within a half hour, and before the doc saw me, the pain had subsided, but I still couldn't put any weight on it. To even flex it meant searing pain.

Shields must have been pretty damn tough... because I didn't see him withering around in that kind of agony you describe.
Perhaps you're just a lot tougher than Sam is though. Hard to say.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Perhaps you're just a lot tougher than Sam is though. Hard to say.

I think it's the other way around, isn't it?

I was trying to explain that a simple bruise can possibly lead to immobilization. Just depends on the severity. The difference between the one guy who gets bruised yet keeps running while the other cannot is likely more due to severity of the bruise rather than a difference in individual toughness.

Just my guess.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score

agreed

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
This is what I do know:
The Packers have way more guys get hurt than the 49ers. They did during the season, and they did during that first Niners drive of the game too. Magical that the Niners didn't suffer more, but we did.
Now when I heard that it was just a bruise for Shields, I thought: Hmm, maybe the Niners are just a tougher team who plays through things some of our guys step out for.
Or having Andy Mulumba dive into your knee actually hurts.

Yes, the team with the 5th most games missed by starters was more injured than one of the least injured teams in the entire NFL. Fire anyone who gets hurt they're no use to us on the bench, right? And the only way to stop having injured players is to get players who don't get injured. And the 49ers aren't going to lose a single player ever to injury or FA.

Members online

Latest posts