Sherrod/Green/Quarless Injury Updates

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From the JSOnline:
Injury matters: Rookie offensive tackle Derek Sherrod had surgery in December to repair a broken tibia, but McCarthy said he could be back in time for training camp.
"He's there (at the facility) every day," he said. "He looks better every time I see him. They're projecting probably training camp, so we'll know more when we get to OTAs. Hopefully, he can get out there in June and do something."
Running back Alex Green and tight end Andrew Quarless, who tore their anterior cruciate ligaments, have been making good progress.
"Alex looks really good," McCarthy said. "Just seeing him in the weight room every day, he looks like he's really progressing. I know they feel good about where Andrew is, but the timing of the injuries was different. But I feel good about Alex."

Sounds like Green will be full speed in camp, Sherrod will be a little hobbled, and Quarless won't participate.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
If I was able to choose the order of readiness for each of those guys, this would be it. I hope for Green to be 100% at the start of camp. For Sherrod, I am ok with him focusing on his development for 2012. Any game time is a bonus and Ted needs to plan to get to the SB without Sherrod. Let's not rush him. Quarless is the least needed, considering the roster.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thankfully none of these guys are need to be on the field type players. I think Sherrod gets hurt the most by the time off. Will be another year of grooming for him. I think Alex Green has a chance to be a contributor as well, but neither him or Quarless need to make an immediate impact.

yallniggascheesewiz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We saw flashes of what Green can do in the pre-season. He has the ability to take it to the house. Even with his bulkier frame he has a deceptive quickness in his hips and good acceleration. I would like to see him take the next step and become a regular in the rotation at RB. From a purely developmental standpoint, Green Bay is pretty well set on RBs; they have the talent but they need to produce now.

GnGFan4Ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear green and sherrod should be participating to some degree. This is worrisome to hear about quarless. he was improving as an all around player. I can't wait to see some more of brandon saine.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Quarless can get healthy and get cut. I think he would have been gone this year after they decided which draft picks to keep on the roster anyways.

GnGFan4Ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could see them shipping him out of town if a roster spot is needed for a rookie. I really like him as a backup for Finley though. Would probably be so much better this season. I guess we wait and see.

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thank you for the update. I'm thinking we will draft an OT in the 4th or 5th round as one
backup with possibly Clifton returning and hopefully Sherrod will be ready at the start of
the season, or at least ready midway in the season if he's put on the PUP list.

I'd still like the Packers to pursue Demetrius Bell to add some competition, but haven't
heard any updates for a week now.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Sherrod’s injury really hurts him IMO. He, along with all the newcomers – draftees, UDFAs, street FAs – all missed their first off season up to training camp. Green caught on much quicker but Sherrod needed all the work he could get and now it looks like he’ll miss all the pre-TC work again. Quarless’ injury looked really bad, career affecting if not ending bad, so I won’t be surprised if he agrees to an injury settlement and is released. But had he not gotten injured he wouldn't have had the potential of Finley as a pass catching threat at TE but he wasn't that far behind IMO.

GnGFan4Ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's how I felt about quarless. could catch and block well enough. I hope he doesn't need to hang it up with Collins. Possibly losing two players to injury. Surprised there wasn't more injuries on the defences gotta take your momentum away before you lay a hit.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I could see them shipping him out of town if a roster spot is needed for a rookie. I really like him as a backup for Finley though. Would probably be so much better this season. I guess we wait and see.
I'd like to see more of DJ Williams
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

cut quarless and crabtree

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Green had the injury end of Oct

Andrew middle of Dec..

so time frames will be off just cuz of the time frames. Andrews was far worse and at the time there was even talk it could make him miss most of 2012

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, it sounds like Quarless is making good progress but that doesn't mean that he'll be ready for camp or even the season. Not many guys shred their knees at the end of the season and then are able contribute much the next year.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even if Quarless was healthy all last year I thought he was destined to be cut before or during camp this year. I like DJ, Crabtree, Taylor and of course Finley and that tweener receiver/TE that was on the practice squad. Most of you must be seeing something I was not because I thought Quarless aside from being able to block was extremely unimpresive.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Even if Quarless was healthy all last year I thought he was destined to be cut before or during camp this year. I like DJ, Crabtree, Taylor and of course Finley and that tweener receiver/TE that was on the practice squad. Most of you must be seeing something I was not because I thought Quarless aside from being able to block was extremely unimpresive.
He doesn't even fight for the yards; even Crabtree does that...

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
What I saw in Quarless was the second best pass catching TE on the team. Unfortunately this may now be a moot point because he may never be the same - his best IMO asset was his size/speed ratio and his speed may be compromised now. I'm looking forward to seeing the youngsters too - DJ Williams should benefit from a full off season and Taylor looked like the ST's "stud" he was supposed to be and a better all-round TE than I think they expected. BTW, I think Taylor is the biggest challenge to Crabtree for a roster spot.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess that I look to his rookie season when he was the all-day tight end after Finley's injury. When you come in for a play or two, you should be making the most of every opportunity, but I don't think that we saw his best in 2011. Looking at his 2010 season combined with 2011, he's showed promise but needed to step it up if Finley left. Now with Finley here and a gaggle of other tight ends fighting for a spot, I think Quarless may get the short stick. We'll see how much he wants to fight his way back onto the field.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts