Sherman's Mistakes by Chris Havel

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Posted Jan. 23, 2005 (for members only today)

Chris Havel
Sherman must learn from past, retool defense

What do Joe Johnson, Jamal Reynolds, Cletidus Hunt, Hunter Hillenmeyer, R-Kal Truluck , Marques Anderson, Mark Roman, B.J. Sander, Scott Wells, Mike McKenzie, Ahmad Carroll, Joey Thomas, Allen Rossum, Antonio Chatman, Tim Couch, Adewale Ogunleye, Ed Donatell, Bob Slowik, Kurt Schottenheimer, Tom Rossley (stupid pass play at Philly), Frank Novak and 4th-and-26 have in common?

It is possible they have helped Mike Sherman become a better coach and, not that it

dan7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this article.

I too have worked in companies where people were hired not based on job skills but rather on how well they "got along" with their boss. These companies usually didn't perform too well in the long run.

stuffin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be happy if Sherman and TT couldn't work together and Sherman left (was fired). Sherman is the pivot point of the whole mess. Replacing the assistants sounds good but you have to wonder if Sherman isn't the real problem.

It will be interesting to see how successful Sherman will or will not be with a GM overseeing his proceedings.

ldlehrer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers offense is fine. I am not so hot on Rossley, but the Packers offense did perform well in 2004. Coach Sherman does seem to have a very good offensive mind.

The Packers defense totally sucked at times in 2004. The Packers defense did have moments of excellence and a few more moments of repectablity, but overall the Packers defense played poorly in 2004.

I do think hiring someone like Bates from Miami and giving him complete control of the defense could bring the Packers defense back to respectablity. I would even allow Bates to hire and fire his assistances. I would suspect most of the present Packers defensive assistants would be fired. I would assume some of the Packers defensive players would be cut. The Packers defense does need a overhaul.

Coach Sherman is no longer a general manager. He made some good and some bad decisions as a general manager. I do think the bad outweighed the good and that is why he was released from his general manager duties. As a head coach he is still going to give important input on personnel decisions.

Coach Sherman is the Packers 4th most successful head coach in the Green Bay Packers long history. Only Vince Lombardi, Curly Lambeau, and Mike Holmgren have been more successful. There are more coaches in the USA that are worst than Coach Sherman than are better. I do think he is still one of the better offensive minds in the NFL. He is a decent team leader too. If the Packers change the defensive coaches and some of the defensive players I think the Packers defense and their chances to advance in the playoffs will dramatically improve in 2005. Firing Ed Donatell in early 2004 was a mistake.

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
stuffin said:
Replacing the assistants sounds good but you have to wonder if Sherman isn't the real problem..
I would agree with this premise, except for one thing....

The Detroit game at Ford Field.
The difference maker here -- is that Rossley was NOT at that game - so you got a comparison study on the screen... with Sherman actually running the entire Offense all by his lonesome. When Rossley came back, the same ol' strategy began to re-appear... You guys did notice the significant difference, right?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I did.

Although to me it just seemed like the Packers were a little more risk taking and took more shots down field.

stuffin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
stuffin said:
Replacing the assistants sounds good but you have to wonder if Sherman isn't the real problem..
I would agree with this premise, except for one thing....

The Detroit game at Ford Field.
The difference maker here -- is that Rossley was NOT at that game - so you got a comparison study on the screen... with Sherman actually running the entire Offense all by his lonesome. When Rossley came back, the same ol' strategy began to re-appear... You guys did notice the significant difference, right?

Yes I agree with that, but how do you explain Sherman letting Rossley getting back in the play calling seat? It tells me Sherman is a better play caller then Rossley, but not a very good leader. (just my opinion)

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It must be nice to write with the benefit of hindsight. I'm also not sure all of Sherman's alleged mistakes were actually mistakes, or if they were, they weren't his.

Reynolds was Wolf's mistake.

Rossum wanted to be the team's nickle back, a role for which he's not suited, so it was right to let him go.

Mark Roman was great in pre-season. He regressed once Schottenheimer got ahold of him.

Donatell will never field a championship D. Slowik is no better, but getting rid of him was not a mistake.

The rest were all mistakes to some degree. Havel better thank Sherman for making them otherwise he'd be out of a job.

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
It must be nice to write with the benefit of hindsight. I'm also not sure all of Sherman's alleged mistakes were actually mistakes, or if they were, they weren't his.
Agreed - totally - I think he's running a duck blind, if you ask me - course, it all reflects right back at him anyway, but.......

TOPackerFan said:
Reynolds was Wolf's mistake..
Coulda sworn that was somebody else, but well, there ya go!

TOPackerFan said:
Rossum wanted to be the team's nickle back, a role for which he's not suited, so it was right to let him go..
Hmmm, didn't he actually leave to be closer to family, as well? Anyway - it'd be nice to find another Desmond Howard.

TOPackerFan said:
Mark Roman was great in pre-season. He regressed once Schottenheimer got ahold of him..
Ditto - Well said!

TOPackerFan said:
Donatell will never field a championship D. Slowik is no better, but getting rid of him was not a mistake..
Ahem... excuse me....? Who just went to the NFC Championship game? And went without asking Sherman if he'd like to go?

TOPackerFan said:
The rest were all mistakes to some degree. Havel better thank Sherman for making them otherwise he'd be out of a job.
ROFLMAO - bang zoom zow.... Where's Chris Havel when ya need him, eh?

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rossum left because he wanted to play more and he was told he would get that chance in ATL.

Did you see how that defense performed against the two good offenses it faced this season. KC 8 rushing TDs and 56 points. Philly, gave up 27 and could have been a lot more and the Eagles didn't even have T.O. With him that game would have looked like the Packers Eagles game.

Donatell will always field average defenses, though average would have been nice this past season. I don't disagree with the decision to fire Donatell, just with the decision to hire Slowik to replace him.

Members online

Latest posts