Sherman to get 2 year extension by P Dougherty of PG

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Posted Aug. 22, 2005

Sherman to get 2-year extension
Mike Sherman is on the verge of signing a contract extension to remain as coach of the Green Bay Packers through the 2007 season, sources say.

Packers seek to keep coach through 2007

By Pete Dougherty
PackersNews.com

Mike Sherman is on the verge of signing a contract extension to remain as coach of the Green Bay Packers through the 2007 season, sources familiar with the situation said Sunday.

Sherman and General Manager Ted Thompson agreed to parameters for the two-year extension late last week and are waiting for their representatives to finish the details and language of the deal. Barring any unexpected hitches, Sherman will soon sign the contract.

Sherman is in his sixth season as Packers coach and in the last year of his current contract, which he signed in 2001.

At the time, team President Bob Harlan had just expanded Sherman

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PWT36 said:
Posted Aug. 22, 2005

Sherman to get 2-year extension
Mike Sherman is on the verge of signing a contract extension to remain as coach of the Green Bay Packers through the 2007 season, sources say.

His record justifies this extention -- like many of us said it was just a matter of time and working out the details. The only way this didn't happen would have been if Sherman decided he was treated unfairly and was ready to give he a try elsewhere. Instead he displays his love for and dedication to the Packers by agreeing to stay.

The Mike dissenters will be having strokes, but if you base your decisions on objective analysis of performance it was a no-brainer. Sherman took a 8-8 team headed in the wrong direction under Rhodes and turned it around -- never having a losing record and three straight division titles. Two years seems like a fair deal for both sides -- it rewards Sherman for his hard work, dedication, and the above, yet gives Thompson some time to evaluate and go a different direction if he so desires. This seems like the best scenerio on many levels.

Just think, if chase had a brain it would be imploding right about now. Since he does not, Ryan sure did us a service by banning chase, because he would be ranting and raving -- calling us all names and demanding T.T. be fired too.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Treated unfairly Bruce? How is that? By giving this guy millions of dollars to perform horribly at the greatest job in the world...We should all shed a tear for poor, poor Mike Sherman...who has been treated so shabbily by the Packer organization.....maybe he should have "held out" this year...and tried to force the Packers to respect him......

This guy Sherman is the luckiest **** on the planet....(he should be arrested every time he goes to cash his pay check!)

Despite Bruce's bootlick revisionist history.....

Sherman took a talented Packer team and....

1. Totally decimated the defense...which has been a JOKE for the past 6 years.

2. Made many horrible draft choices as GM..and overpaid for average talent...thereby strapping the Pack under the cap for years to come...

3. Engaged in RAMPANT cronyism...hiring "Buddies"....Rossely, Slowick, etc...even though they sucked...didn't know what they were doing..and couldn't coach their way out of a paper bag....

4. Turned the Lambeau mystique into a running joke....nobody's afraid to come into Lambeau field anymore...way to lose at home..MIkey..

5. Has a horrible playoff record (2-4) and never took the Pack to the NFC championship game in 6 years...let alone..the SB...

6. Makes terrible game time decisions...and CHOKES badly in big games...

Bruce..if it wasn't for Favre...we'd all be saying Mike who..? Because he wouldn't have lasted for 2 years, with the Pack....

Way to go TT..i have now lost all respect for you if this is true..and you extended this loser's contract....if Favre retires this year...get ready Packer fans, because Sherman's returning us to the 1970's....

get your bumper stickers ready....

Mike Sherman--returning the Pack to mediocrity!
(Which is where we must like it! especially Bruce, net, digs, etc..etc...)

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This may be the only time I'll miss Steel Wheels.

This story is only rumor of course.

Thompson early on said he wanted to feel comfortable with coach. I think they can work together and comfort has been developing.

Actually Sherman seems less pressured and more relaxed this year. Concentrating on coaching is best for him and the organization.

Is he worth 3x the salary of Mike Tice??? Yes

Two years he has option of leaving when leaving is good if Brett retires.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Totally decimated the defense...which has been a JOKE for the past 6 years.

MS has only been here for 5 years...so I guess you're admitting he inherited a crappy defense?!?

2. Made many horrible draft choices as GM..and overpaid for average talent...thereby strapping the Pack under the cap for years to come...

He was an adequate GM, just not great, that's why he was fired...you're only looking at the negative. Yes he had bombs, but so does everyone, and he picked some good ones e.g. Glenn, Barnett, Walker, Grady...

Personally, I think TT should have taken a wait-and-see approach this season because I've been a little skeptical, but a lot of your claims are only looking at one side of the story...the home playoff record is ONLY MS' fault? And again, you fail to acknowledge Brett's performance in the playoff games that the Packers lost.

Reaction score
P@ck66, cut the crap. You have no right to say that MS took a talented team and turned it bad. Did you even watch the disaster of a seaon Rhodes had? The Pack D was solid up until the Philly play on 4th down. It seems after that, The D hasn't been the same. But you can't blame the guy. He took no vacations while GM, worked his all, suffered through many deaths in the organization, yet still kept the pack above other NFL teams. You look to his playoff record, but after spending 17 weeks doing both GM and Coach duties, he obviously didn't have enough time to prepare. He worked his *** off for the Pack, and this extension is rightly justified. I look for him to become a better coach now that he has the ability to focus on only coaching. And P@ck66, who on earth would TT hire as the coach instead of MS? (If you say Jim Bates, surely Bates is of more value where he can focus on only the D and bring them upto respectibility, instead of focusing on both O and D)

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
666.... :oops: :oops: Go back and read your posts for the last year, if possible. I'll give you credit for showing up today. It has to be difficult, after realizing you were wrong on pretty much every post you made. Like I said on another thread....your boy chase got off easy. He must have seen this coming and didn't want to face the wrath of REAL Packer fans :lol: :lol: :lol:

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Not so fast....DePack with your bloated, windbag type gloating...not so fast..as you said..in an earlier post...TT is covering his ***...If Sherman sucks this year (as we all know..or will soon know...HE WILL)..than TT can just fire him...

BUT...if Favre pulls his (fat) *** out of the fire...(as he has for the last 5 years)...you will all anoint this dunce as a geniuis (again!)...because he got you another NFC north title...but NO FURTHER...

Well..if that's what makes you happy...fine..! But a real Packer fan should want to see a return to glory for the Pack...and not just middle of the road MEDIOCRITY!

But the real test will be when Favre isn't around to cover for Coach *******...and Sherman sinks the Pack faster than the Titanic...then you will see who is correct....

It's just a matter of time...boy..just a matter of time....

Reaction score
P@ck66, if you respect and think Favre is an outstanding player, as I think you do, then surly you will believe what Brett has to say on the matter. Brett himself said in an article (sorry I don't remember which one) that MS is a hell of a coach. Brett himself said that Sherman can get the point across better than any other coach Brett has had (he has had a pretty impressive list) Brett also said that he respected MS a great deal for allowing him space and time to comeback in the offseason. And if I am not mistaken, Brett also indicated that a reason for coming back to play is the fact the MS is the coach of the Pack. So P@ck66, this is a conspiracy theory too! :puke: I just have one question for you... Who do you think TT would get instead of MS? You? :crazy:

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
News flash from 666....when Favre retires the Packers may be in trouble. They may even have to rebuild! Thanks for that one 666....most of us fans thought the Packers wouldn't skip a beat without Favre!

(hopefully, you can sense the sarcasm dripping off the page)

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am sure TT is losing sleep knowing that he has lost standing in the eyes of 66!

Sure, 66, MS has some flaws...what coach in the NFL doesn't? I believe you will see a better version this year with his reduced responsibilities.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MS is a good coach not a great coach. He tends to make mistakes at critical times that cost us games, especially playoff games. Hopefully, he has learned enough and gained enough experience to win those games.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Treated unfairly Bruce? How is that? By giving this guy millions of dollars to perform horribly at the greatest job in the world...We should all shed a tear for poor, poor Mike Sherman...who has been treated so shabbily by the Packer organization.....maybe he should have "held out" this year...and tried to force the Packers to respect him......

Do you bother to read the posts before you go off? Where did I say anything about poor Mike Sherman or that I thought he was treated unfairly? I didn't, but don't let the facts get in the way of one of your famous tantrums. For the record what I wrote was:

"His record justifies this extention -- like many of us said it was just a matter of time and working out the details. The only way this didn't happen would have been if Sherman decided he was treated unfairly and was ready to give he a try elsewhere. Instead he displays his love for and dedication to the Packers by agreeing to stay."

"The Mike dissenters will be having strokes, but if you base your decisions on objective analysis of performance it was a no-brainer. Sherman took a 8-8 team headed in the wrong direction under Rhodes and turned it around -- never having a losing record and three straight division titles. Two years seems like a fair deal for both sides -- it rewards Sherman for his hard work, dedication, and the above, yet gives Thompson some time to evaluate and go a different direction if he so desires. This seems like the best scenerio on many levels."

P@ck66 said:
Despite Bruce's bootlick revisionist history.....

Sherman took a talented Packer team and....

You are from New Jersey and claim not to be chase. Yet, everytime I start to believe you are not chase, off you go on a fact devoid, temper tantrum that sounds an awful lot like chase -- who also just happens to be from New Jersey. Coincidence??? I wonder...

Despite your rant Sherman took over for a team that struggled to get to 8 - 8 and missed the playoffs. If that is not the wrong direction, what is???

P@ck66 said:
Bruce..if it wasn't for Favre...we'd all be saying Mike who..? Because he wouldn't have lasted for 2 years, with the Pack...
Way to go TT..i have now lost all respect for you if this is true..and you extended this loser's contract....if Favre retires this year...get ready Packer fans, because Sherman's returning us to the 1970's....

You take the best players away from any coach and they don't do as well. It does not take a whole lot of intelligence to figure that out -- so give that tired whine a rest.

So now Ron Wolf who origninally hired Sherman is an idiot and Ted Thompson another NFL respected mind is an idiot too???
Why one may ask? Because they don't agree with chase666 or whoever the hell you are.

P@ck66 said:
get your bumper stickers ready....

Mike Sherman--returning the Pack to mediocrity!
(Which is where we must like it! especially Bruce, net, digs, etc..etc...)

net, digs... that is some pretty good company. They are all winners and know what it takes to win -- something you may grow up to learn yourself someday.

Members online

Latest posts