Sherman play calling

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From Packers.com

Sherman will remain very involved in the offense. He will attend offensive meetings and could call the plays for the offense as he did for the majority of last year.

"I enjoy that aspect of it," he said. "But I'm not going to etch anything in stone. ... I am very pleased with Tom Rossley and the way he's called plays. If I do it, it has no indication on him whatsoever."

Kind of reminds me of the scene in Strange Brew where the new brewer owner, in court, states, " just because I don't know how it works, doesn't mean I'm lying".

I get the feeling Sherman will continue with the play calling which is fine by me.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
calicheesehead said:
From Packers.com

Sherman will remain very involved in the offense. He will attend offensive meetings and could call the plays for the offense as he did for the majority of last year.

"I enjoy that aspect of it," he said. "But I'm not going to etch anything in stone. ... I am very pleased with Tom Rossley and the way he's called plays. If I do it, it has no indication on him whatsoever."

"remain involved"..."could call the plays.."

i don't like the sound of this....

As some of you may know, i'm not the biggest Sherman fan on the block, but I like Rosseley even less....

Rosseley is worse than Paul Hackett (formerly of the Jets), and that's saying something...

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hell, Rossley is as bad as Buddy Hackett sometimes but, if Sherman calls the plays, Rossley will have to do the Narrowing of the Choices.

Personally, I thought Sherman didn't do a bad job when he was calling the plays. Perhaps Rossley's role is better suited as an advisor to Sherman's play callilng...

Who knows?

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
calicheesehead said:
From Packers.com

"remain involved"..."could call the plays.."

i don't like the sound of this....

As some of you may know, i'm not the biggest Sherman fan on the block, but I like Rosseley even less....

Rosseley is worse than Paul Hackett (formerly of the Jets), and that's saying something...

Rossley has been involved in the play-calling since Sherman took over. Rossley now has taken Sherman's previous job, which is to review how well plays are working, look for weaknesses in the defense and then suggest plays to take advantage.

Rossley is in a better position for this by sitting in the booth and having replay readily available, along with a different view of the field. Sherman on the sidelines can gauge how things are going with the players better and may gear the calling accordingly. It was working last season, so why change it?

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike Sherman's season record has been outstanding. I don't doubt that he can coach. But I think I'm in the minority on that statement. But considering his record and the job he has done coaching this team, some wonder why in the world they Packers haven't extended his contract. His statement about Rossely is the reason why. Mike's choice of coaches and his loyalty to bad coaching has been his biggest downfall. He kept Rossely, he hired the wrong defensive coordinator, and other than Beightol the lone hold over, he hasn't done a very good job of bringing in quality coaches. And the problem is that I don't think Mike understands that.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:
. He kept Rossely, he hired the wrong defensive coordinator, and other than Beightol the lone hold over, he hasn't done a very good job of bringing in quality coaches. And the problem is that I don't think Mike understands that.

Ergo, my point....

I do not think MS is a good head coach...He has no clue about NFL defenses, he hires the worst possible coaches and remains loyal to them in the face of total ineptitude......and he drafted a punter in the 3rd round..WHO STILL HASN'T PANNED OUT!

I think Sherman is a glorified OC and nothing more....he just doesn't have the right stuff to be the man in charge--HC of the GBP!

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
packedhouse01 said:
. He kept Rossely, he hired the wrong defensive coordinator, and other than Beightol the lone hold over, he hasn't done a very good job of bringing in quality coaches. And the problem is that I don't think Mike understands that.

Ergo, my point....

I do not think MS is a good head coach...He has no clue about NFL defenses, he hires the worst possible coaches and remains loyal to them in the face of total ineptitude......and he drafted a punter in the 3rd round..WHO STILL HASN'T PANNED OUT!

I think Sherman is a glorified OC and nothing more....he just doesn't have the right stuff to be the man in charge--HC of the GBP!

Don't forget that Wolf drafted Brent Conway, a kicker, in the 3rd round in 1997. Conway ended up being beat out by a walk-on named Ryan Longwell.

Wolf followed up his lesson from Conway by draft Josh Bidwell in the 4th round of the 1999 draft. He then hung onto Bidwell through his cancer recovery only to see him blossom into an average punter, who later left for Tampa Bay.

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:

Mike Sherman is best suited to be a HC or OC in a college program.

Sherman has trouble grasping offensive and defensive schemes in the NFL.

Which is probably where he will wind up.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing's fer sure - we'll know fairly quickly as we head into the new season.
Anyone remember the fiasco of the Home Opener as they re-dedicated Lambeau Field and we had our butts handed to us by the Vikings? Or, how about that disaster in the desert at AZ? I would hope, as has been mentioned before, that with our first few games, before the BYE WEEK, we should actually be able to see ourselves at 4-1, as opposed to 1-4 (like we have been in recent years).. it's after... the BYE week where I start to get worried.... A friend mentioned that November is "the" month where the meat is... We have Pittsburgh & Minnesota at Home, Atlanta & Philadelphia as away games... all tough teams - it could get very rough as we head into the Christmas Season. By that time, we'll certainly know whether Bates is the real deal on Defense. We'll also (hopefully) know who should be taking Grady's place on the line... I hope it starts better than it has of late....! :wink:

carol k

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I definitely remember that game where the Vikings beat us. We were at that game, and it was a heart breaker. Of course, all the viking fans loved it.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
packedhouse01 said:

Ergo, my point....

Pretty much how I feel. He was very inexperienced when he was hired as a coach/GM. I keep hoping he will grow into being a great coach. But I question whether he is a better coach now than he was then. I also agree he needs to hire more quality ***'t coaches but that is hard to do if you don't have respect as a head coach. Bates should help big time. Now if MS can have a marked improvement ... we get rid or Rossley ... hire a great OC ... :cross: :cross: :cross:

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obi1 said:
Hell, Rossley is as bad as Buddy Hackett sometimes but, if Sherman calls the plays, Rossley will have to do the Narrowing of the Choices.

Personally, I thought Sherman didn't do a bad job when he was calling the plays. Perhaps Rossley's role is better suited as an advisor to Sherman's play callilng...

Who knows?

Yup, I agree Sherman did a good job calling the plays and HE should do it again this season. That is probably his strong point.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Go to NFL.com and look up the stats on the league's offenses last year.

You will find the Packers finished THIRD...REPEAT, THIRD in total offense last year. It seems 29 other teams, including the ballywho'd Vikings offense....finished BEHIND Green Bay last year.

So the problem is.......where?

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
ok net,

since you can't seem to get this through your thick pate...

the PROBLEM is in making SMART game time decisions to WIN football games...i don't care how many yards the Pack racks up going up and down the field to pad your statistics to justify your Sherman/Rosseley fixation....the problem is not that the Packers are ranked 3rd in the NFL or whatever....the problem is that they lose IMPORTANT football games...especially at HOME since SHERMAN took over...

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
my beef with sherman is his lack of being able to get this team fired up, 5 losses at lambeau last year total...a home playoff loss that was more of a blowout than the score indicated, and yes...sherman is always my whipping boy ever since the loss at philly in the playoffs, he is the first person i blame for...everything

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
66...I agree in full. Ther bad plays and decisions he makes/made are not sufficient to alter downward the lofty offensive stats, but, they are enough to throw away a game here and there....usually about 2 games per year...and usually to terribly inferior competition.

Members online

Latest posts