SHERMAN DONE IN GREEN BAY

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
http://profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

http://profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm said:
A year ago, there was rampant talk that Packers coach Mike Sherman would/should be jettisoned after the team started off at 1-4. Team president Bob Harlan said that no decisions would be made until after the season.

Sherman and the Pack promptly turned things around, winning the division. But an ugly home loss in the first round of the playoffs to their border rivals from Minnesota was enough to get Sherman nudged out of the G.M. job.

So now Sherman essentially has two bosses -- Harlan and new G.M. Ted Thompson. And even though Sherman received a two-year extension prior to the start of the season, the thinking is that his goose is cooked in Green Bay.

Really, a turnaround this year is unlikely. Javon Walker is gone for the season, and the line is diminished without Mike Wahle and Marco Rivera. Tailback Ahman Green apparently hasn't gotten the memo that it's his contract year. And Brett Favre has aged 30 years in one offseason.

Another reason why the Pack likely will make a move on Sherman is that Eagles offensive coordinator Brad Childress (who was linked to the job over the weekend by ESPN's Chris Mortensen) won't be available forever. With possibly eight or more jobs coming open after the season, Childress could be a hot commodity -- just like Mike Holmgren was in 1992 when a bunch of jobs came open.

vikefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerChick said:
SlickVision said:
http://profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

http://profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm said:
A year ago, there was rampant talk that Packers coach Mike Sherman would/should be jettisoned after the team started off at 1-4. Team president Bob Harlan said that no decisions would be made until after the season.

Sherman and the Pack promptly turned things around, winning the division. But an ugly home loss in the first round of the playoffs to their border rivals from Minnesota was enough to get Sherman nudged out of the G.M. job.

So now Sherman essentially has two bosses -- Harlan and new G.M. Ted Thompson. And even though Sherman received a two-year extension prior to the start of the season, the thinking is that his goose is cooked in Green Bay.

Really, a turnaround this year is unlikely. Javon Walker is gone for the season, and the line is diminished without Mike Wahle and Marco Rivera. Tailback Ahman Green apparently hasn't gotten the memo that it's his contract year. And Brett Favre has aged 30 years in one offseason.

Another reason why the Pack likely will make a move on Sherman is that Eagles offensive coordinator Brad Childress (who was linked to the job over the weekend by ESPN's Chris Mortensen) won't be available forever. With possibly eight or more jobs coming open after the season, Childress could be a hot commodity -- just like Mike Holmgren was in 1992 when a bunch of jobs came open.

time will tell
Then time is nothing but a big tattle-tale!

Bucfan219

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brad Childress might be a head coach worth dumping Sherman for.

Maybe the GM can swing a deal that will bring in Childress while keeping Jim Bates as DC.
If no such deal can be made, you might be better off with Sherman. If Sherman is a top-15 coach then he should be able to succeed with Bates running the defense.

<the above classless troll brought to you by Bucfan219>
;)

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JAVONWALKER84...Need an opinion on Childress (since you're from PA)...I've heard a lot of Philly fans aren't too fond of him, and I know Badger fans certainly aren't!

Thumbs up or thumbs down?

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
whoops, that last post made it seem like I've thrown in the towel on MS...not true...but I'm already tired of the Brad Childress rumors, and I'm looking for someone to support my opinion :)

MajicMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, I thought this was official news...

I wouldn't expect Sherman to get fired for Brett's mistakes...well, anytime soon that is...

Brett will learn he can't throw INTs...Period. It's just a tough lesson for Brett to tackle...

If we gotta punt, Brett...We're gonna have to just go ahead and do that...

Havn't heard too many complaints about BJ Sander so far this season...Some would have been really surprised to hear that a handfull of months back.

Build off the postive people. There are some good signs out there...

In this man's NFL, you gotta pay to play. Every team goes through some rough times...We'll get by.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy...I can answer that. I live just outside of Philly. To tell you the truth, Brad Childress is a non-entity in Philly. The offense belongs to Andy Reid. Similar to when Holmgren was in Green Bay. Sherman Lewis was never really taken seriously.

Everyone knows my take on Mike Sherman so I won't get into that but if he is replaced I would hope it is by a stronger candidate than Brad Childress.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
from the Rumormill said:

While several of you here might actually like this Chris M character - O got no need for him. And he's definitely no Packers fan, even part-time... I thnk all of us here pretty much agree that while Job Interviews are something someone can excel at if they study long enoung on Monster.com - this time around Ted Thompson may well come to regret that two-year extension he gave Mike Sherman. It certainly isn't bearing any fruit on the tree so far. I really don't know if any Coach, who has a conservative "prevent" mentality can ever be a true winner in today's NFL. And, basing someone's excellence at a Coaching position on how well they coached at some School somewhere doens't always translate over - Steve Spurrier ring a bell? This last comment is more in regards to the hesitation in play calling styles we see in Tom Rossley measured against other OC's in the NFL who are actually winning right now...

I said it before - I say it yet again - If I was TT, I would have only given a contract extension based on MS firing TR and bringing in a new one - ala Houston Texans... Otherwise, NO, I would not have given up anything until the end of the year proves itself worth the effort... which so far - it's not gonna....

What's the history on Childress?

(Not to worry, I'll go look, too! -- I just don't take too easily to anything Mortenson says... Now, if it were JAWS, then that's a different angle altogether...)

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
musccy...I can answer that. I live just outside of Philly. To tell you the truth, Brad Childress is a non-entity in Philly. The offense belongs to Andy Reid. Similar to when Holmgren was in Green Bay. Sherman Lewis was never really taken seriously.

Everyone knows my take on Mike Sherman so I won't get into that but if he is replaced I would hope it is by a stronger candidate than Brad Childress.

Thanks DePack...that's exactly what I thought was the case. I don't quite understand why his name has been so popular of late.

fondypackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was Childress forced out of UW or did he leave on his own? Personally I don't know much about him but I know he didn't have a whole lot to work with as far as QB's go.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know if he was forced out or not, but I do know a lot of people were happy when he was gone. He ran a very predictable and vanilla offense that was doomed if it relied on the pass. (mind you, what else would you expect from a Big Ten team, esp. WI, but still)

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
from the Rumormill said:

While several of you here might actually like this Chris M character - O got no need for him. And he's definitely no Packers fan, even part-time... I thnk all of us here pretty much agree that while Job Interviews are something someone can excel at if they study long enoung on Monster.com - this time around Ted Thompson may well come to regret that two-year extension he gave Mike Sherman. It certainly isn't bearing any fruit on the tree so far. I really don't know if any Coach, who has a conservative "prevent" mentality can ever be a true winner in today's NFL. And, basing someone's excellence at a Coaching position on how well they coached at some School somewhere doens't always translate over - Steve Spurrier ring a bell? This last comment is more in regards to the hesitation in play calling styles we see in Tom Rossley measured against other OC's in the NFL who are actually winning right now...

Prez I agree with you 100% but it is not only in NFL Football but in real life, either you are agresive enough or the sharks will eat you alive, 10-15 years ago in soccer around the world the idead of playing conservative and winning was all around, then we have some HC coming with a different vision "IF YOU WANT TO WIN PLAY LIKE YOU WANT IT" and they changed everything..
So IF WE WANT TO WIN WE´D BETTER GET AN OC THAT THINKS OFENSE MUST BE THAT AGRESIVE OFENSE AIMED TO BEAT THE OTHER TEAM.

I said it before - I say it yet again - If I was TT, I would have only given a contract extension based on MS firing TR and bringing in a new one - ala Houston Texans... Otherwise, NO, I would not have given up anything until the end of the year proves itself worth the effort... which so far - it's not gonna....

I AGREE WITH THIS !!!! 100%

What's the history on Childress?

(Not to worry, I'll go look, too! -- I just don't take too easily to anything Mortenson says... Now, if it were JAWS, then that's a different angle altogether...)

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
If Childress was forced out of WI and hsa such a predictable vanilla offense why is he highly touted as a HC for a team this next year?

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Sherman is replaced, and I think we give him the season to turn things around, then my choices for HC would be:
1. Barry Alvarez
2. Herm Edwards (likely to get dumpted by Jets but not his fault)
3. Phil Fulmer
4. Bates

Don't know that much about Childress but Andy Reid runs that team.

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
paxvogel said:
If Sherman is replaced, and I think we give him the season to turn things around, then my choices for HC would be:
1. Barry Alvarez
3. Phil Fulmer
4. Bates

I would prefer Bates.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SlickVision said:
If Childress was forced out of WI and hsa such a predictable vanilla offense why is he highly touted as a HC for a team this next year?

just because you're highly touted doesn't mean you'll be good. Spurrier had as much hype surrounding him as you'll see...but look what happened?!?

Childress is the coordinator on a consistently successful team...that's why he's being elevated.

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy said:
SlickVision said:

just because you're highly touted doesn't mean you'll be good. Spurrier had as much hype surrounding him as you'll see...but look what happened?!?

Childress is the coordinator on a consistently successful team...that's why he's being elevated.

As I always say: Never believe in Hype.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SlickVision said:
For the same reason that Dave Wannstedt was the hot commodity once upon a time. He was hyped and hyped until he became the big buzz word around the league. The Bears beat out several other teams who wanted to get him away from the Cowboys and give him the head position. He has been a total failure every where he has gone including Pitt where they are ready to hang him already.

Bucfan219

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:
For the same reason that Dave Wannstedt was the hot commodity once upon a time. He was hyped and hyped until he became the big buzz word around the league. The Bears beat out several other teams who wanted to get him away from the Cowboys and give him the head position. He has been a total failure every where he has gone including Pitt where they are ready to hang him already.

I thought that Dave got decent mileage out of what I considered a pretty bad Chicago Bears club (no offense). I should qualify that by emphasizing the first couple of years of his tenure on the job, I suppose.
His tenure with the Dolphins might have been different with a decent QB.

It should be instructive to see what Saban does with the Miami club. I heard somewhere (it wasn't on this board, was it?) that Wannstedt tends to blame the team's problems on the players. If true, that might contrast with the more integrated team approach that Saban tends to take.

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:
SlickVision said:

Seems you got my message about hype there Phil. Hype means nothing.

Packman4Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You do not have to have great talent to stay onside, you do not have to have great talent to keep your hands out of a players face, you do not have to have great talent to manage the clock, you do not have to have great talent to avoid roughing penalties, you do not have to have great talent to correct a fumbling problem, you do not have to have great talent to make changes at the half and adjust, you do not have to have great talent to be in the right spot on the field at the right time, you do not have to have great talent to have 11 men on the field for an extra point, you do not have to have great talent for you coaches to be on task in a July practice without fumbling through their papers while the players stand around, you do not have to have great talent to get your players on the practice field on time and get 100% effort out of them.

YOU NEED GREAT COACHING FOR THAT, YOU NEED QUALITY CONTROL!

A great coach makes a good team great, a average coach makes a great team good (the Packers the last few years) an average coach takes an average team and makes them bad (this year's Packers).

Wake up! The Packers continue to make the exact same stupid mistakes time and time again, that is quality control and that points to the one constant for the last 5 years, MIKE SHERMAN!

In years past Sherman would say "I do not want to use injuries as an excuse" Yet he mentioned that every week. Now he sounds like a High School coach, "we hope to get better, we are young"

When does this guy ever take responsibilty! He scapegoated Donnatel for his STUPID move of not going for 4th and 6 inches to go to the NFC Championship game with the best line in the NFL against a gassed and GASHED Eagle defense. Sherman CHOSE to put the game in the hands of his two weakest units at that time (Punter and poor coverage and a very average defense) Brilliant MOVE!!!!!!!

Yea Sherman it's the injuries, yea it's Donnatel, yea, it's a young team.

excuses excuses excuses! :evil: :twisted:

Hey Mike ! It's you !!!!!!!!!

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do not think that the season is that much different than 04 with the problems now on the offense instead of defense.

This off season we will have to see how good a politician Sherman is putting a spin on this season. I wonder how the annual stockholder meeting will go.

By then perhaps new season optimism will take over.

GBnative

Cheesehead
Reaction score
paxvogel said:
1. Barry Alvarez
3. Phil Fulmer
4. Bates

I don't claim to have any insite on great head coaches, but when I saw Phil Fulmer listed I had to respond. Fulmer is a great recruiter, he brings in great talent every year, but as a coach on the field, he makes Sherman look clever and imaginative. He went 5-6 this year even though his team may have as many 5 or 6 players taken on the first day of the draft. In many ways he is much like Sherman. He seems to fall in love with some players and can't let go when they demonstrate they can't play. I can think of a dozen guys, inlcuding Bates and Sherman, that I would rather have coach the Packers than Fulmer.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
paxvogel said:
1. Barry Alvarez
3. Phil Fulmer
4. Bates

Brad Childress is my choice...he establishes easy to learn offensive game plans...the eagles have an amazing record with backup QB's because they have a player-friendly system, somthing i would love to see aaron rodgers step in to--i dont know how he will be in terms of team discipline/motivation, but he can't be much worse than sherman--he finds ways to get the ball in the hands of his best players, i'd like to see a childress coached team with reggie bush at running back--will be like how the eagles use brian westbrook, only more explosive

Herm Edwards--my friends that are jets fans say word is, that they will let him talk with other teams and possibly seek draft pick compensation for him--a la john gruden...no coach is worth draft picks

Phil Fulmer is having enough trouble at the college level, next

Jim Bates, I'd be pissed to see him moved to another duty after doing what he did with this defense--i dont think he wants to be a head coach, yet at least...he could've probably gotten a head coach job last year

who should we get for offensive coordinator???

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts