Sherman Back Next Year???

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well IMO I believe he will be. In all honesty how can you evaluate a coach with the amount of injuries the pack has had this season? If you really crunch the numbers he has done great with what he has. I will say this though if Sherman stays you will see Rossley go. I just dont think the man has a clue as to what is going on. Sherman can only call the plays they are created by the coordinator.

I think we will see changes next year just not the ones we would feel are obvious

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh no :help: ... :eek:pens the door for P@ck66:

Sherman and Rossley are buds, I would be surprised if Rossley goes, unless TT pulls the plug on him. Also I think Sherman will be around at LEAST next year as TT signed his two year extension before the season began. He wouldn't just throw away 6mil.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey Jb,

Welcome aboard. Feel free to check older pages for similar topics. This one has gone around a bit and tends to come up on Mondays. Ted Thompson does not show his intentions so your post will also be timely in January.

No one really knows.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
injuries have nothing to do with bad clock management and a vanilla offense with a hall of fame qb. sorry.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've written several posts/threads about this over the past several weeks. I think the main reason is money, based on Sherman's new contract.
It would be hard for Thompson to justify toasting $6 mill then trying to hire a new coach. There's going to be openings at the Jets, Ravens, Oakland, New Orleans, Houston, Minnesota almost certainly and other posts are possible. One report I read had 12 openings.

So guys like Holmgren will be in demand, and there's a bunch of really big shows for the big show to go to.

So who will Thompson hire? Jim Bates is the only viable option if he fires Sherman, and there's no guarantee the result will be any better than Sherman.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well net I see results in our Defense RIGHT NOW.... Also there is no guarantee that Sherman will do better at all.

Anyhow you make a good point on the money issue and on all the open spots that will need to be filled with good HC´s..

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What did you think of him before all the injuries? This is a team that has played absolutely lousy during the preseason and in the early part of the last two season. Now think about this. Last year, he was loaded for bear. He had the same line back, Ahman Greene at his best, a full compliment of receivers and Brett Favre and they they were 1-4 to start the season. Granted now it's hard to evaluate, but it wasn't hard to evaluate how this team offensively could come out so flat and unprepared to start the season. I expected the defense to be bad, I didn't expect the offense to be bad. Simply put the man should be fired. but he shoudl be fired now so that you can hire Bates and you have a half season to evaluate him and to determine whether you want to hire him for next year. It is a no brainer.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Keep in mind the personnel decisions this year are made by Ted Thompson, not Mike Sherman. It's the people, not the system. The system works, he doesn't have the horses, especially with the injuries.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
injuries have nothing to do with bad clock management and a vanilla offense with a hall of fame qb. sorry.

On the contrary, injuries have EVERYTHING to do with bad clock management and a vanilla offense.

The players are NOT the usual game players who have played in the Packer scheme for years. The Packers have had to make adjustments on the fly just about EVERY game.

This has been the MAJOR reason for the Packer slide. Packers don't have the horses and the replacements have NOT been as reliable.

Murphy's law has really been in effect this season...

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
True...OB1...

(you can use that rationalization for this...)

But you can't for last year and the year before! The Packers have been on a slide for a few years now (Do you remember the playoff loss to the Vikings at Lambeau in the first round last year..?)

Mike Sherman is the luckiest coach in the nfl because he seems to have tons of people making apologies, excuses, and rationalizations...and selectively remembering (and forgetting) past blunders, cronyism, the loss of home field advantage, gametime mistakes, bad play calling or game planning..or both.. etc..etc..and he should get down on his knees and kiss the good earth in Green Bay for the simple fact that he still lives there and has a job there.....(and that Brett Favre has been around to pull his fat *** out of the fire and keep this team competitive)....at this point in his career.

I thought THIS was to be the year that Mike Sherman had to put up or shut up and post a winning season and go far into the playoffs? But...alas..slippery Mike now can point to the injury excuse and possibly squeeze out another mediocre year or so..as HC of the GB Packers....

What TT needs to do is once and for all GET SOME PLAYMAKERS AT SKILLED POSITIONS...around Brett Favre..(and don't give me Walker, Driver and Ferguson..) They are simply not good enough...

The Packers need some like a TO or a Moss or a Smith from Carolina...or what's his name from Cincinnatti? The simple fact is that Favre had to work with rookie receivers and hope that they worked out in a couple of years...

Good coaches find a way to win when faced with adversity...Many times it was in Sherman's lap to make a play call or a good decision to put a game away...and he always fails miserably..(remember the Viking game a few weeks ago?)

Yes..Sherman may get his year or two...but in my book...the fact that he is still around is mainly due to luck and the patience of the Green Bay Packer fans...and oh yes..let's not forget...the main reason..Brett Favre!

Hopefully TT included a buy out clause in that 2 year extension for SherRossley!

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we have to takea historical perspective on Sherman/Rossley. Under their tenure, the y have had some very talented teams from a personnel standpoint...particularly offense. Damn near every year under their "leadership", this offense and the entire team have come out slow and flat and have given away at least 2 games per year to terribly inferior competition. Clock and game situation management have always been suspect, and cronyism (Novak, Slowik, Rossley) rampant.

Now, some of you will argue that the defense has been suspect during the entire tenure..I do not agree they have been all that bad...middle of the road, for the most part. But, for arguement's sake, let's say the defense has been consistently poor under MS and the offense obviously potent. Given this knowledge, why has not MS/TR uncorked the mighty offense to put up mind boggling points each week to compensate for the supposedly porous defense he fielded? With this knowledge, MS has run a pretty pedestrian offense, given the talent he has on that side of the ball. And we can always count of his pulling the reins in even further on the offense when his team accumulates a lead...allowing some teams to mount unthinkable comebacks and losing a few along the way.

I know MS is a good and decent man, and when his and the team's back is against the wall, they respond the his leadership. But what type of leadership is it?

MS and his teams perform when brought to the brink of collapse, but he is the one who leads them to the brink. He does not seem to be able to lead from the front and start the season in a manner that puts his team in that position. Personally, I think his leadership is more "rally the troops" than "take it too the opposition".

In case nobody has noticed, the league has changed the rules to benefit offense and aggressive play in recent years. For the most part, the league has gotten more aggressive on both sides of the ball...and he has ALWAYS possessed the talent on offense to do so better than most teams...and yet he hasn't.

I think MS is inherently methodical and conservative, and past history indicates he is a micro-manager who spreads himself too thin. I think he has much more ego than his "aw shucks"veneer would suggest, and that ego does not allow for change from what he thinks is right and proper.

Bottom line, he will probably be here next year, and should be if #4 decides to return as Brett is not in a position to learn a new offense at this point of his career. Only way Brett stays without MS is if the next coach retains current playbook until #4 retires, and then has liberty to blow up the playbook when Brett is gone. But TT should can TR as a matter of course!

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He'll be back. Root for him to succeed or root against the Packers. It's that simple.

66....I know you are anti-everythingaboutthepackersbutfavre, but Walker, Driver and Ferguson is one of the top 3 trios of WR in the league. Before he got hurt Javon Walker was every bit as good as Owens, Moss and Smith with a hell of alot less mileage on him. I'd post last season's statistics but I know how you hate it when people bring facts into the argument.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nobody should root against Sherman, because ultimately, it is the team that they root against in doing so. However, I do not think it is wrong to point out the issues that could be questioning in nature of Sherman's performance. He does have some deficiencies, as do all coaches. But his deficincies, in my opinion, are of a more critical nature than many coaches in the league.

All the things I have pointed out are not isolated incidents, but a pattern of behavior and performance. Choose to ignore them if you wish, but if you are so bound and determined to inject facts into your arguements (which is a great thing), then you have to acknowledge these issues and form your own conclusions. Your conclusions may be different than mine, but the basis for the conclusions are fact.

That being said, I will take our group of WRs over any in the league. Injuries suck, but are part of the game. When healthy, this is one of, if not the, most talented units in the league.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digs my facts I injected had to do with 66's "and don't give me Walker, Driver and Ferguson.." comment. He'd rather talk about how fat Sherman's *** is than to deal with facts. I don't know the guy personally but I'm beginning to think he has an *** fetish. To each their own.

Fact: If Sherman is not the head coach....Favre has said he would likely retire.

If you believe Favre and the above fact....do you want Sherman Fired?

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Think I addressed the Sherman/Favre issue in my initial post.

Tar star fantasies?? How have we been reduced to this?!?

DePack..what is our take on Bush, or trading down out of the top 3 for a kings ranson? I go with the ranson...it will be the nucleus of the team for the future.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man...I am a fan of trading down at times but being a Notre Dame fan, I saw first hand what Bush can do. I posted on another thread that my daughter is a student at ND and friends with a group of players. They RAVED about Bush. They said his speed and quickness is like nobody they have seen. These are ND players talking. They play alot of good teams. I'd have to take Bush.

Cobra5

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sherman needs to go - That's all there is to it! Not a bit of motivation in his coaching. Terrible coach!

ChuckSTG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brian Billick might be on his way out after this season. Does TT think about replacing sherman with him. There could also be the decision to fire rossely and pick up Mooch as our OC, that would keep the West coast Offense in place.

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
Now, some of you will argue that the defense has been suspect during the entire tenure..I do not agree they have been all that bad...middle of the road, for the most part.

The GB defense has been awful for the past couple of years. The only reason we made it into the playoffs the last 2 seasons is due to the ability of the offense to outscore their opponent. Look at how drastically the defense has improved since last year, while only being ranked 17th in the league (which BTW, is exactly "middle of the road").

digsthepack said:
But, for arguement's sake, let's say the defense has been consistently poor under MS and the offense obviously potent. Given this knowledge, why has not MS/TR uncorked the mighty offense to put up mind boggling points each week to compensate for the supposedly porous defense he fielded?

That was my point, up until this year he has. Unfortunately, a poor defense allows the opponent to consistantly make their 1st downs, take time off the clock and keep pace with our offense, which is why so many games have had to rely on a FG from Longwell to seal the deal. Keep in mind a lacklustre defense does not make as many picks, which can quickly turn the tide in your favour. One of the reasons we all love Bret so much is due to his "gunslinger" style, which unfortunately does allow the opponents to make interceptions from time to tme. When our defense cannot counter this with picks of their own, the game can quickly turn against you regardless of how potent your offense is.

digsthepack said:
With this knowledge, MS has run a pretty pedestrian offense, given the talent he has on that side of the ball. And we can always count of his pulling the reins in even further on the offense when his team accumulates a lead...allowing some teams to mount unthinkable comebacks and losing a few along the way.

As I stated above, I feel this is the result of an abysmal defense. Until TT and Bates came to GB, an underachieving defense was the norm for the past few seasons.

digsthepack said:
I know MS is a good and decent man, and when his and the team's back is against the wall, they respond the his leadership. But what type of leadership is it?

MS and his teams perform when brought to the brink of collapse, but he is the one who leads them to the brink. He does not seem to be able to lead from the front and start the season in a manner that puts his team in that position. Personally, I think his leadership is more "rally the troops" than "take it too the opposition".

One thing you cannot take away from Sherman is his ability to keep the locker room this season. The Pack has not rolled over and died this year. Despite a ridiculous amout of injuries to our starting lines, they have went out and played hard every game. This is reflected in the fact they have not been blown-out yet, despite a 2-7 record.

I also believe Sherman will be back next year, regardless of the final standings. There are simply not enough decent coaches in the NFL to fill the HC positions of teams that desperately need them. This is one of the reasons rumours persist that Charlie Weis will be HC on an NFL team next season, despite the fact he just signed a 15 year contract with the University of Notre Dame. Regardless of how much you blame Sherman for the woes in Green Bay, there simpy is not enough talented HC material in the NFL right now to justify firing him for.

Just my $0.02.

GO PACK!

Robert C. Hedley

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My belief is that Favre is rallying the troops...not Sherman....

just my 0.02....

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I sure hope so. He's the best Coach for the GB Packers. No one else will be worth replacing his extreme talent at coaching. Not even Jim Davis. I know I know. He does have some great cartoons, but still Sherman is the best out there for us.

rmayer32

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While pretty certain that Sherman will return, it wouldn't break my heart to see Rossley go away, but that's probably sketchy.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm with Anubis on this. I look for MS to be back regardless of the final record(unless we lose 'em all.) There IS a definite lack of good coaches that will available next year with all the turnover expected. I don't see ANYONE I'd prefer over MS. I also look for a solid draft in April w/TT making the decisions. I also would love to get Bush but I believe trading down would be better with all the weaknesses we still have.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Believe me...

there are better coaches out there...i'm gonna come up with a list....

Members online

Latest posts