Shea McClellin will be our 1st Round Draft Pick

Packers80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've watched tape on Upshaw, Mercilus, Perry, and McClellin. Haven't watched much on Andre Branch. But I firmly believe that McClellin will be out first round pick. He would fit our defense the best out of the four guys I've watched tape on. Hell, I even interviewed Mercilus for my website, skyped with the guy and everything, cool guy, but putting that all aside, it's gatta be McClellin. He plays somewhat like Clay when he brings the blitz, and putting him on the opposite side of Mathews would be one hell of a beautiful sight. Here's a link on a couple of McClellin's games. The last two videos are the better ones, check them out and tell me what you think.

http://www.mynfldraft.com/NFL-Draft-Profiles/2012/Shea-McClellin

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
McClellin could very well be the pick at #28. But there are at least three reasons to think he won’t be. First he didn’t play in a major conference and to this point as a Packer Update article pointed out, Thompson has only taken players from the Pac-12, Big 10, and ACC in the first round. However, I don’t think this alone would prevent Thompson from picking him if Thompson graded him as the best value on the board.

The second reason is McClellin seems to be the consensus guess by a lot of mock drafters. Maybe it’s just the contrarian in me but I tend to think the player “everyone” thinks Thompson will take won’t be the pick.

But the third reason is the only “real” one McClellin may not be the pick at #28. Again, Packer Update provides the analysis here: http://packerupdate.net/?p=17910. It's worth the read IMO (and no, I have absolutely no connection with that site). The author acknowledges McClellin’s attributes but after watching several of his games says he didn’t dominate against subpar competition and lacks lower body strength and explosion. He also thinks there will be OLBs available in the second round who could be as good. He doesn’t think picking McClellin would be a mistake, just that there will be better options at #28.

If I had to guess I’d guess Thompson will take a DL in round one and look for an OLB later. But that’s just a guess from a non-draftnik.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like McClellan, but I am also not sold on him as a first round pick. I will name the players that have a realistic chance of being there at #28 which I think would be a better pick than McClellan in this order:

Michael Brockers
Jerel Worthy
Courtney Upshaw
Dont'a Hightower
Devon Still
Whitney Mercilus

I think there will be plenty of good DLs and OLBs in round 2, including Bruce Irvin, Ronnell Lewis, and Vinny Curry. Fact is we need an impact DE/DT and an OLB both.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like McClellan, but I am also not sold on him as a first round pick. I will name the players that have a realistic chance of being there at #28 which I think would be a better pick than McClellan in this order:

Michael Brockers
Jerel Worthy
Courtney Upshaw
Dont'a Hightower
Devon Still
Whitney Mercilus

I think there will be plenty of good DLs and OLBs in round 2, including Bruce Irvin, Ronnell Lewis, and Vinny Curry. Fact is we need an impact DE/DT and an OLB both.

Brokers, Mercilus and Brockers will probably be gone by #28 and Hightower is an inside linebacker. Bruce Irvin is explosive, but the reports on him is that he is a strictly pass rushing OLB with off the field issues. The guy TT might pick here is Worthy. The guy dominated Wisconsin and would be able to rush the passer.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McClellin could very well be the pick at #28. But there are at least three reasons to think he won’t be. First he didn’t play in a major conference and to this point as a Packer Update article pointed out, Thompson has only taken players from the Pac-12, Big 10, and ACC in the first round. However, I don’t think this alone would prevent Thompson from picking him if Thompson graded him as the best value on the board.

He has taken Harrell and Sherrod both of the SEC, as well.

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree on McClellin IF Ted doesn't trade up, which I have a feeling he will.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers wants McClellan, Worthy or Mercilus, it looks like they will have to trade up. Almost everyone has the Patriots picking McClellan at #27. Mercilus and Worthy will go late teens to mid-20s with Mercilus probably being picked the earliest.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But the third reason is the only “real” one McClellin may not be the pick at #28. Again, Packer Update provides the analysis here: The author acknowledges McClellin’s attributes but after watching several of his games says he didn’t dominate against subpar competition and lacks lower body strength and explosion.
When people like Michael make those arguements in cases like this, it really speaks to their lack of credibility in my opinion.
"Didn't dominate against subpar competition"?
Really?

Number one, if the writer watched Boise State games and understood their defensive scheme, he wouldn't say that. Shea played close to 8 different positions in their defense. He has great versatility and wasn't told to just sit off the edge and pass-rush all the time, if that's the type of "dominate" the writer wanted. Bruce Irvin and Whitney Mercilus did dominate in that manner.
Number two, McClellin did often times dominate against lower competition (19 1/2 tackles for losses this season +21 last season- meaning he was no one-hit wonder like they label Mercilus), but when he does, we often hear the scouts or scout wannabe's say "yeah but it was subpar competition", not the big boys of the SEC.

When Shea did get to face non-subpar competition, he fared even better: McClellin tied his career high with six tackles (three solo, four TFLs, 2.5 sacks) against No. 10 Virginia Tech in the Broncos’ season-opening win

Remember, Clay Matthews didn't dominate the Pac-10, and only started part of one season.

The good news for him and the team that drafts him is that similar criticisms (questionable upper body strength and competition) were the knocks on guys like DeMarcus Ware, Jason Pierre-Paul and Connor Barwin coming out of school. Those three players all play in different schemes and were all top ten in sacks in the NFL last season.

And as for McClellin laking lower body strength: that's also phooey.
McClellin is about 20 pounds bigger than Matthews was at this same point in time.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be fine with McClellin as our pick, I think the concerns are a bit over-blown. I think if you look at any player close enough you will find some issues. The things we should consider are: athleticism (check); Love of football (check); toughness (check); ability to learn (check); and high character (check).

That being said, I think there will be players of the same level at a position of greater need in DE. Brockers, Still, and Reyes may be available with our pick and represent BPA, maybe a bit ahead of Shea. This is a fantastic year for 5T DEs and I think we should cash in sooner rather than later. I do want an upgrade at OLB, but between Jones, DeSoto, Walden and Zombo, a couple of those guys will have improved.

MiamiBeachPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would rather grab McClellin in the first and then Derek Wolfe/Jared Crick in the 2nd. I wouldn't want to rely on the hope that one of the other OLBs might have improved.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
McClellin could very well be the pick at #28. But there are at least three reasons to think he won’t be. First he didn’t play in a major conference and to this point as a Packer Update article pointed out, Thompson has only taken players from the Pac-12, Big 10, and ACC in the first round.

This one of the big reasons why I think he won't be picked as well. He played well but what exactly was the competition?

And the consistency in the first round of drafts, we tend to target players from bigger college programs and conferences.

I really think as the draft is close now, that if we really want that impact defensive player, he's probably not going to fall to us. We're going to have to trade up.

Whoever we get, once again. Our pass rush HAS to improve.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Brokers, Mercilus and Brockers will probably be gone by #28 and Hightower is an inside linebacker. Bruce Irvin is explosive, but the reports on him is that he is a strictly pass rushing OLB with off the field issues. The guy TT might pick here is Worthy. The guy dominated Wisconsin and would be able to rush the passer.

Hightower is an inside linebacker. But if you've watched him play, with his skills he could easily line-up as an edge rusher. And if that doesn't pan out, Hightower is a monster at ILB. He'd be an upgrade over Hawk. Capers love to blitz our ILB's and nobody at the ILB/MLB position in this draft is better than getting into the backfield and wreaking havoc.

Hightower wouldn't be my first choice, but there is definitely a place for him on our defense

Members online

Latest posts