Shawne Merriman

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
7 takles in 5 games? 5 games? Thats what is going to make us a dangerous team in the playoffs? An undrafted DE converted outside linebacker? Clay across from him gets non stop double teams and then when he gets through he gets a Running Back...Zombo going one on one all game should have 10 sacks at this point. You think they can double and triple team Clay when Lights Out is on the other side...production or not last couple years which I think is due to injury, you have to plan your offense around Shawn.

Nice that you cherry picked the stats. When taken into context and comparing Merriman's production through 14 games last season, Zombo is on pace to at least match that production. Not bad for an undrafted free agent "DE converted outside linebacker."

And it's possible Merriman's lack of production is due to repeated injury, which begs the question- Is that really a guy you want to take a chance on? He missed all of '08 due to injury, put up VERY weak numbers last season, and is out on IR again this season. Part of me thinks his body is breaking down since he's no longer on the roids, so injuries are gonna be a way of life for him for as long as he's playing football. Not really someone I think I want on the field long term, and signing him this year would make him a half season rental. Kinda feels like there's no point to me.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll concede that it doesn't hurt anything to bring him in for a tryout. That said, he has to pass waivers first, so it's possible we don't even get a chance to bring him in. If he passes through waivers and becomes a free agent, we could, but a lot of that will depend on whether anyone else wants to negotiate a contract for him or not. He's owed the balance of his $3.2 Million contract this year and will probably want a longer term deal before signing. I doubt Ted goes that far, considering the key free agents and rookies we'll have to sign in the coming years.

olwig420

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't care what any of you say, if we can pick him up for just one season for a decent amount of pay then we have nothing to loose. If he does not play that well then don't start him. What ever, it is worth a shot. Some times all it takes is a change of team to get back to being good.

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree we should try him out. Let's pick him up if we can. He has good size to play against the run and Dom Capers might be able to find a way to get the most out of him. Right now we have Practice Squad players on our roster. WTF!

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't care what any of you say, if we can pick him up for just one season for a decent amount of pay then we have nothing to loose. If he does not play that well then don't start him. What ever, it is worth a shot. Some times all it takes is a change of team to get back to being good.

I agree with you.

Right now, the defense is beat up. The team could use something different. Low risk/high reward.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Folks, the odds of us getting Merriman are slim, since he has to clear waivers first. PFT reports SF is interested in him, and they'd be higher on the waiver wire than we are.

aaronqb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice that you cherry picked the stats. When taken into context and comparing Merriman's production through 14 games last season, Zombo is on pace to at least match that production. Not bad for an undrafted free agent "DE converted outside linebacker."

And it's possible Merriman's lack of production is due to repeated injury, which begs the question- Is that really a guy you want to take a chance on? He missed all of '08 due to injury, put up VERY weak numbers last season, and is out on IR again this season. Part of me thinks his body is breaking down since he's no longer on the roids, so injuries are gonna be a way of life for him for as long as he's playing football. Not really someone I think I want on the field long term, and signing him this year would make him a half season rental. Kinda feels like there's no point to me.

would have been a good one

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words. It's interesting comparing the guys that were clamored for on this forum to how their production is now with their new teams.

As was stated, we never had a shot at Merriman anyway, due to his being picked up on waivers. And how's that working out for Buffalo? He's going to miss his second game as a Bill after tweaking his leg while practicing for a whopping 15 minutes.

And Lynch- Compare his last 5 games with Seattle to Jackson's last 5 games:

Lynch= 74 carries, 217 yards and 2 td's. 2.9 ypc average.
Jackson= 63 carries, 323 yards, 2 td's. 5.1 ypc average.

Boy, I tell ya, Lynch sure has gone OFF for the Seahawks!

Admittedly there's some factors to take into consideration, like how well Lynch knows the Seahawks' playbook, and whether that's causing him to be ineffective, but those are considerations we would have had to factor in as well. The bottom line though is he's had 11 more carries but produced 106 yards fewer than Jackson.

Yes, that could change over the remaining 7 games, but so far it's not even close.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Hindsight's awesome when you were right.

Had we known that Jackson would come around and not suck, and that Lynch would suck, obviously some of us wouldn't have advocated making that deal. Get down off your high horses and quit looking down on us because we were wrong. I'm so sick of that.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hindsight's awesome when you were right.

Had we known that Jackson would come around and not suck, and that Lynch would suck, obviously some of us wouldn't have advocated making that deal. Get down off your high horses and quit looking down on us because we were wrong. I'm so sick of that.

I very well could have been wrong too, but some of you were so blinded by your dislike of all things Brandon Jackson, you weren't willing to even consider the possibility that he might come around. Instead, you were so quick to point out all the things he wasn't that you didn't give him an honest, impartial look. You wanted someone, anyone else, and that was it, end of story.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Hey I can be on any horse I want...LOL

More often than not people get all pissed off at Ted for not grabbing player A...When will people understand he does know what he is doing?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
but some of you were so blinded by your dislike of all things Brandon Jackson, you weren't willing to even consider the possibility that he might come around. Instead, you were so quick to point out all the things he wasn't that you didn't give him an honest, impartial look. You wanted someone, anyone else, and that was it, end of story.

Yup I agree and that is the part I HATE

Unless it isnt a a NAMED player they think it wont work out

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funny thing is, people still will claim that Lynch would been great pick up

He very well could have thrived in our system, but one of the things people kept overlooking was that he probably wasn't going to be an instant success, even with us. He would still need time to learn the playbook and develop some kind of rapport with the offensive line. Without knowing where the blocks are, where the holes are or any of the other intangibles needed to succeed, it would be hard for any player to make an impact mid-season. Normally it takes players a whole off-season to get those things down.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup I agree and that is the part I HATE

Unless it isnt a a NAMED player they think it wont work out

DeAngelo Williams is another guy people wanted us to sell out and trade for. Carolina placed him on IR today.

I'm one of the first to admit I don't understand all of Thompson's moves initially, but the guy has been right more times than he's been wrong. If there's anything I'd ask of fellow fans it's that they stop panicking and over-reacting every single time something happens. I truly believe the guys in the front office know more about what our team needs and doesn't need than we do combined. Yes, mistakes will be made, but ultimately we have one of the better front offices in the league.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And Lynch- Compare his last 5 games with Seattle to Jackson's last 5 games:

Lynch= 74 carries, 217 yards and 2 td's. 2.9 ypc average.
Jackson= 63 carries, 323 yards, 2 td's. 5.1 ypc average.

Dont forget the TD he caught last game :)

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey I can be on any horse I want...LOL

More often than not people get all pissed off at Ted for not grabbing player A...When will people understand he does know what he is doing?

If the packers win the SB will you open back up we need a rb now thread? Few things I might wanna say...

Members online

Latest posts