WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Posted on Mon, Sep. 18, 2006
Sharper reflects on Packers, has no love for front office
By Judd Zulgad

McClatchy Newspapers

(MCT)

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. - Minnesota Vikings safety Darren Sharper admits he feels bad for his former teammates with 0-2 Green Bay, but that sympathy does not extend to a front office led by General Manager Ted Thompson. The Packers are 4-14 with Thompson in charge over the past two seasons.

"I have friends over there playing, and I don't like to see them struggling like this, and it really bothers me to see Brett (Favre) struggling at the end of a legendary career," Sharper said Monday. "But it's one of those things, if you dig your grave, and the decisions you make. . . . You're going to have to deal with the consequences."

Sharper spent the first eight seasons of his career in Green Bay but left after the 2004 season following his refusal to take a pay cut from $6 million to $2 million. Also among those to leave Green Bay after that season were veteran guards Mike Wahle and Marco Rivera. Kicker Ryan Longwell joined the exodus last March, following Sharper in signing with the Vikings.

This has left the Packers in the situation of playing for the future but still having the 36-year-old Favre as their quarterback.

"You can say you're not rebuilding but then all the moves you make, it looks like you are rebuilding," Sharper said. "You're telling all the guys that are still there like Brett and the older guys like (running back Ahman Green) that you are not rebuilding, and you have them going through this struggle with a lot of young guys who aren't experienced.

"It's kind of hard to watch the guys I know. . . To have them not reap any benefits from their work, that's hard to watch. But as far as the people up top who make the decisions, I don't feel sorry for them. You all know who makes decisions over there."

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thats great! I'm glad Sharper spoke out. It's pretty much what most have been saying all along

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont care for Sharper, but hes right, I feel sorry for the older players on the Packers team as well...but when players ask for tons of money they cant keep them all...but this year having the money that we did we could have picked up a few great guys..

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heatherthepackgirl said:
I dont care for Sharper, but hes right, I feel sorry for the older players on the Packers team as well...but when players ask for tons of money they cant keep them all...but this year having the money that we did we could have picked up a few great guys..

I don't feel sorry for ANY football player that plays on an NFL team. Sharper is just bashing the organization. TT is as much a Packer as anyone else. Sharper is NOT a Packer. When he and the Packers parted company, that was it...

He really is just vindictive. This is just another slight and underhanded way that Sharper is getting back at his former employer.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I think Sharper has said some moronic things in the past, but I think he's striking something with this. But he's making a premature opinion of the staff before they've been given a rational amount of time to prove their failure or their worth.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the point that you are responsible for your decisions...

And TT should be held accountable for the results of his,,, either bad or good... As far as of today 4-14 record shows bad, this can change??? I hope so..

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Darren Sharper weighs in on Packers plight…

… Sharper sympathetic to Packers' misery

."
****Note**** Let's look at what he said, I know there is a lot of anger directed towards Sharper for his exodus to enemy territory (I wrote a critical article last season), so instead of simply responding with impulsive anger or shut down, please consider his comments before reacting -- this has potential for generating some interesting "Packer Talk."

Vikings safety Darren Sharper admits he feels bad for his former teammates with 0-2 Green Bay, but that sympathy does not extend to a front office led by General Manager Ted Thompson. The Packers are 4-14 with Thompson in charge over the past two seasons.

"I have friends over there playing, and I don't like to see them struggling like this, and it really bothers me to see Brett [Favre] struggling at the end of a legendary career," Sharper said Monday. "But it's one of those things, if you dig your grave, and the decisions you make. ... You're going to have to deal with the consequences."

"You can say you're not rebuilding but then all the moves you make, it looks like you are rebuilding," Sharper said. "You're telling all the guys that are still there like Brett and the older guys like [running back Ahman Green] that you are not rebuilding, and you have them going through this struggle with a lot of young guys who aren't experienced.

"It's kind of hard to watch the guys I know. ... To have them not reap any benefits from their work, that's hard to watch. But as far as the people up top who make the decisions, I don't feel sorry for them. You all know who makes decisions over there."

TOPackerFan said:
Sharper is an idiot. He's still bitter that TT cut his ***. Nice objective piece there.

That certainly would be one take – a rather emotional one that projects and attributes a great deal, but a take none the less.

Another would be that he is expressing genuine sympathy/empathy for his friends/ex-teammates of more than 8 seasons -- during which time Darren grew up from a young rookie to a man who played in several Pro Bowls. He owes Ted Thompson nothing, but he went to "battle" (note used as a metaphor) for 8 seasons with those guys -- it is hard to shake you feelings you develop through those years. Like I said that is another take.

Obi1 said:
I don't feel sorry for ANY football player that plays on an NFL team. Sharper is just bashing the organization. TT is as much a Packer as anyone else. Sharper is NOT a Packer. When he and the Packers parted company, that was it...

He really is just vindictive. This is just another slight and underhanded way that Sharper is getting back at his former employer.

I am not sure I agree that he is mad at TT.

Ted Thompson made him a rich man (collecting free bonus money and freeing him to sign a rich contract with the Vikings) and let him go to a contender (that is currently 2-0 and has posted am 11- 7 record Vs Ted Thompson's Packers 4 - 14 record).

He did say at the time of his departure that he wished he could have worked things out to remain a Packer, but any anger at TT is probably more related to the above comments than any negative effect upon Darren Sharpers career or financial status.

It can only do harm to have a player who is a perennial Pro Bowl player and who is known and respected by players around the league speaking bad about the Front office. It hurts efforts to attract Free Agents -- young and old.

General Managers have many responsibilities, including winning the Public Relations and Image campaigns that take place year round. Darren's comments do not help the organization in any way-shape-or-form

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who really gives a f@ck what a former player, who also happens to play for our most hated divisional rival (I think most of us have grudging respect for the Bears...but the Queens are downright contemptable) says or thinks. You don't think he is running his own little PR stunt here?

Bottom line....Sharper became a rich man in GB, and in the end wanted too much dough to stick around...so he is gone.

Simply put, the media loves to kick a team...especially the Packers given their longer than usual stay at or near the top...when they are down. If it bleeds, or reflects badly on the team, it leads...whether true or not.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
Who really gives a f@ck what a former player, who also happens to play for our most hated divisional rival (I think most of us have grudging respect for the Bears...but the Queens are downright contemptable) says or thinks. You don't think he is running his own little PR stunt here?

Bottom line....Sharper became a rich man in GB, and in the end wanted too much dough to stick around...so he is gone.

Simply put, the media loves to kick a team...especially the Packers given their longer than usual stay at or near the top...when they are down. If it bleeds, or reflects badly on the team, it leads...whether true or not.

Well, obviously you and the other 9 persons who have responded in this thread do and the many other fans and posters discussing this in other forums and coffee shops around Wisconsin.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What do you expect him to say? "I LOVE Ted Thompson???" Come on........the guy wanted more then the Packers could afford, thus, he's gone. TT made the decision to let him walk. So Sharper obviously is going to take his shots at the guy.
He doesn't say bad things about his ex-teammates.......gee, could that be cause he doesn't want to give locker room material when they have to play the Packers twice each year? Could be ya know.
I bet Sharper's REAL feelings are to laugh everytime the Packers lose. But he's not going to say it.
Just my opinion.

majikman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like Sharper's kind of a stand up guy to me.

But he'll get no love around here Bruce. He dared to offend the mighty TT...Bruce Wayne is going to hear about this...

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Sharper isn't the first ex packer to knock on Ted. Wahle had negative things to say.

True, Wahle didn't really take a shot at TT like this though. Wahle just stated what happened and how surprised he was when he wasn't resigned

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Zero2Cool said:
Sharper isn't the first ex packer to knock on Ted. Wahle had negative things to say.

True, Wahle didn't really take a shot at TT like this though. Wahle just stated what happened and how surprised he was when he wasn't resigned

We knew exactly where Wahle was going and Wahle didn't go to this extent because he is far more professional than Sharper.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's nothing unprofessional about negative criticism of a former employer. I've done it in interviews when folks have asked why I left a job. They say not to do that, but in reality, people who interview would rather you be honest.

Whether you like it or not, the Packer's organization were Sharper's former employers. While he still has friends on the team, as I have had friends still in former companies, he has full rights to complain about the upper management at his former employers.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:
There's nothing unprofessional about negative criticism of a former employer. I've done it in interviews when folks have asked why I left a job. They say not to do that, but in reality, people who interview would rather you be honest.

Whether you like it or not, the Packer's organization were Sharper's former employers. While he still has friends on the team, as I have had friends still in former companies, he has full rights to complain about the upper management at his former employers.

were your comments recorded, and then put in newspap...

ya know, there are just too many differences between yours and Sharpers situation for me to work with. ill just let it work itself.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Zombieslayer said:

were your comments recorded, and then put in newspap...

ya know, there are just too many differences between yours and Sharpers situation for me to work with. ill just let it work itself.

No, but they may have been stuck in an HR file. :wink:

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
You were a NFL player? NO, ****! HUGE difference. I don't remember YOU being interviewed.

Sometimes you can try to relate YOUR job to one of that in the NFL. This is drastically not one of them.

Dangum Zombies, geesh :p

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets see........how many people that have been fired from their jobs have GREAT things to say about the person that fired them........(crickets.....all i hear is crickets.......)
So this is a surprise??? Sharper was full of himself, and Teddy wasn't. So Teddy MUST be awful!!!
I'm not a "TT lover", but i WILL give the guy a chance before thinking he is the worst GM in football. (He'd have to go MIGHTY low before he would reach Matt Millen's spot). IF the Packers DO turn out to be good under Thompson's rule, i wonder how many of the people that are constantly using every chance to attack the guy's every move would then say they were wrong? I bet alot of people would stand in the Packer's Men's room and critique when Teddy takes a dump.
"I don't think TT put enough squeezing into it. He just let the turd go WAY too soon! And his wiping technique? Man.....that guys SUCKS!" :wink: :lol:

Now.....IF it turns out that i was wrong in giving the guy a chance, i will be the first to admit it. Theres just not enough evidence either way to judge it. I remember lots of people screaming when Ron Wolf traded for a guy named Favre. And even the great Ron Wolf had his blunders. NO GM is perfect, and they have the thankless job of trying to pick who will be the best, out of hundreds of players. NOT an easy job, i'm sure. Every team in the NFL is vying for the same players. And if you look at all the first round picks that have tanked over the years, and how many virtual unknowns that have done great, you will see just how many lousy GM's there must have been in the NFL. Its alot of luck involved!

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sharper is allowed to have an opinion. Brett Favre is the same way. He says what he thinks, like it or not. Darren didn't take any cheap shots at TT, he just called him out on something that is apparent. Just because you don't like his opinion doesn't mean he's just bitter.

Why would Sharper be bitter at this point? He's on a 2-0 team that seems to be trying to improve as opposed to an 0-2 team that is rebuilding.

Members online

Latest posts