Sharper, McKenzie anyone?

showgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i have the dubious privilege of seeing viking games and am glad the packers didn't pay to keep darren sharper. as a viking, he made one big play on opening day and had a few tackles. congratulations darren, you got lucky once. other than that, he is often seen chasing receivers into the end zone, just like he did last year in green bay. the announcers fail to point that out, they just keep saying what a great player he is. now he's injured. as for mckenzie, he was repeatedly burned last week by culpepper and a very average set of receivers. on the first viking touchdown, mckenzie was looking at culpepper and not paying attention to his receiver, who easily slipped away to catch the pass. he looked more like a rookie than a wiley veteran. the packer defense obviously isn't great, but it is improving with young talent. if anyone thinks the team should have kept these guys, i'll respect your opinion, though i believe the pack is better off without them. maybe TT could get rid of some more overpriced driftwood (dumping hunt was also a good thing, IMHO). Things look bleak now, but i expect the packers to continue to develop young talent and be competitive again.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
With a name like that I can't help but say 'wheres the dang photo gallery!!' :p

Sharper was good while he had someone good with him, that's about it. McKenzie I think he was an above average CB before his injury. He seems to have lost a step since stepping out of the Packers uniform. Although I haven't been able to see many games with him I look forward to the Saints/Packers game in two weeks.

LambeauLeaper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That assessment of both of those players is spot on, showgirl. I always thought both of those guys were overrated when they were here, and nothing's changed since they left. To put it another way about McKenzie, I'll never forget this - when I first met my fiance (this was just a couple of years ago) and I was just getting her into watching the Packers she said "howcome that number 34 is always all by himself". This is someone that knew nothing about football, but even she saw that the guy couldn't cover anybody!

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry, but I can't agree on this one. Sharper has maybe lost something to knee injuries, etc. but McKenzie was a very good cornerback while with the Packers. His attitude sucked towards the end and it had to do with more than money unfortuantely. He was made at Slowik's promotion to DC and look at how that panned out! He was right about it after all. I don't like the way he went about it but with the old #34 minus the bad attitude, I would take him back in a heartbeat opposite of Al Harris. Just my opinion...feel free to bash it if you like. :D

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
showgirl said:
i have the dubious privilege of seeing viking games and am glad the packers didn't pay to keep darren sharper. as a viking, he made one big play on opening day and had a few tackles. congratulations darren, you got lucky once. other than that, he is often seen chasing receivers into the end zone, just like he did last year in green bay. the announcers fail to point that out, they just keep saying what a great player he is. now he's injured. as for mckenzie, he was repeatedly burned last week by culpepper and a very average set of receivers. on the first viking touchdown, mckenzie was looking at culpepper and not paying attention to his receiver, who easily slipped away to catch the pass. he looked more like a rookie than a wiley veteran. the packer defense obviously isn't great, but it is improving with young talent. if anyone thinks the team should have kept these guys, i'll respect your opinion, though i believe the pack is better off without them. maybe TT could get rid of some more overpriced driftwood (dumping hunt was also a good thing, IMHO). Things look bleak now, but i expect the packers to continue to develop young talent and be competitive again.

whos sorry now?

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
Sorry, but I can't agree on this one. Sharper has maybe lost something to knee injuries, etc. but McKenzie was a very good cornerback while with the Packers. His attitude sucked towards the end and it had to do with more than money unfortuantely. He was made at Slowik's promotion to DC and look at how that panned out! He was right about it after all. I don't like the way he went about it but with the old #34 minus the bad attitude, I would take him back in a heartbeat opposite of Al Harris. Just my opinion...feel free to bash it if you like. :D

I agree that McKenzie was good when he was here, but I'm not so sure that the current McKenzie hasn't lost a step. If I could have the McKenzie of old with a good attitude, I'd take him over what we currently have.

But with a new contract in hand, and having some foot injuries the last few years, I'm starting to wonder if he's lost a little incentive and a little speed. He was never a speed deamon to begin with either, so he couldn't afford to lose any speed. McKenzie might still turn it around this season, but at the moment he kind of reminds me of Antonio Freeman after he got his big contract.

I totally agree with Showgirl regarding Sharper. I think we saved ourselves some money on a player in decline and who is becoming injury prone.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Both were good players in their day. Our timing on leaving them go was pretty good it appears. It's just too bad they both left as they did.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
showgirl said:

i was never a big fan of sharper. imho collins is as good as sharper was right now. roman is the problem. he is slow and can't tackle well. the system is new, i think the defence will come aroun as will #4

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
During the free agent frenzy last spring, not once did I regret Sharper had left. The Vikings...for years to come... will deeply regret most of the free agent horsepucky they got into.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't feel sorry for the Vikings at all - sorry Vikeman!
They deserve the bed they made to lie in....

Personally, I would have really relished seeing Sharper go to New Orleans!
That would have been the real enchilada.. Even so, we'll be seeing him twice a year for some time to come now.... well, at least sitting on the sideline, anyway - and we're all used to that.

The new Bates D is jellin' like a fellon right now and can only get better..
One thing I would be doing, if I were TT (?) - start looking for a 'real' Nose Tackle... NOW!
While Cole (90) is amazing, not sure he'll be ready to step in ala Gravedigger, by next year.

tarkenton10

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While the Vikes may be sliding, I don't know how the Sharper deal is going to pan out. If he is injury prone then we made a bad deal but the first two games he played for us were good enough for me. His first game was great and if he can get healthy I think he can be a very good pickup. And even if he is a bust I am still happy with our offseason. we may have blown money and players may not pan out but FINALLY THE VIKES TRIED TO IMPROVE AND WIN THE NORTH. If we don't I can live with it, every move is a gamble of sorts at least they took the risk and tried to improve. I was happy with our offseason and I applaud the front office. I just hope we start to play better soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:
During the free agent frenzy last spring, not once did I regret Sharper had left. The Vikings...for years to come... will deeply regret most of the free agent horsepucky they got into.

Sort of reminders of the Hershel Walker Era. The Vikings gave up a bunch of draft picks to Dallas for him. The biggest thing he ever did was lose his shoe on a kickoff return. Cowboys used one of those draft picks I believe for Emmitt Smith and a bunch of other criminals.

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tarkenton10 said:
While the Vikes may be sliding, I don't know how the Sharper deal is going to pan out. If he is injury prone then we made a bad deal but the first two games he played for us were good enough for me. His first game was great and if he can get healthy I think he can be a very good pickup. And even if he is a bust I am still happy with our offseason. we may have blown money and players may not pan out but FINALLY THE VIKES TRIED TO IMPROVE AND WIN THE NORTH. If we don't I can live with it, every move is a gamble of sorts at least they took the risk and tried to improve. I was happy with our offseason and I applaud the front office. I just hope we start to play better soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

well good luck to you.

vikefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aw, we still have more cap room than anybody else, thanks to that stingy carpetbagger McCombs. Wilf just needs to shell out for a coach for next season.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
vikefan said:
Aw, we still have more cap room than anybody else, thanks to that stingy carpetbagger McCombs. Wilf just needs to shell out for a coach for next season.

Sherman should be available.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
vikefan said:

Sherman should be available.

ow, oW, OW...! That was not very cordial, there ol' man!

Speaking of Emmitt Smith - I, personally, do not reagrd Emmitt Smith as a criminal... there are others on that team in that Era who deserve, but not Emmitt Smith.

Members online

Latest posts