Sharper butting in Re: Favre's recent comments

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.jsonline.com/packer/news/may05/323633.asp

Sharper levels some sharp criticism at Favre

Posted: May 4, 2005

Not that Green Bay's rivalry with Minnesota needs any more fuel, but it got a little more on Wednesday when Vikings safety Darren Sharper strongly criticized Packers quarterback Brett Favre for sticking his nose into wide receiver Javon Walker's contract dispute.

Sharper, the former Packers safety, made his comments on "The Afternoon Blitz," a show co-hosted by John Riggins and Adam Schein on Sirius Satellite Radio.

Sharper was asked what weight Favre's words can carry with another player on the Packers.

"No weight," Sharper said. "They don't carry any weight right now because Javon Walker is a Pro Bowl player and he's going to do what he wants to do. He is not in Javon's shoes right now. Javon should not pay attention to his comments at all."

In the Green Bay Press-Gazette on Tuesday, Favre criticized Walker, who missed minicamp last week, for attempting to get the Packers to give him a new contract even though his current one does not end for two more years.

"What's going on with the minicamps and whether or not Javon's there - Brett wasn't at minicamp so it really doesn't make a difference who is there," said Sharper. "He wasn't there, so he shouldn't have anything to say about Javon not being there."

Favre was excused from minicamp.

Sharper said Favre has no business injecting his point of view into Walker's contract business.

"Brett shouldn't have anything to say about that," Sharper said. "I have the utmost respect for Brett and what he feels as far as guys on his team but when it comes to contract situations, those are personal matters. Brett should not have anything to say about that. It has nothing to do with him."

Sharper played for the Packers for eight seasons before being released for salary-cap reasons. Sharper then signed with the Vikings.

discuss.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder how come Sharper wasn't brave enough to say that last year after Favre said the same things about McKenzie? I guess it's easier for Darren to lip off now knowing he won't have to face Favre in the lockerroom.

I'd like to ask Sharper how come it was OK for him to rip the D-linemen a couple of years ago for not earning their big contracts, yet it's not right for Favre to question a guy who doesn't want to honor his contract?

Darren (The hypocrite) Sharper

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ArizonaPackerFan said:
I wonder how come Sharper wasn't brave enough to say that last year after Favre said the same things about McKenzie? I guess it's easier for Darren to lip off now knowing he won't have to face Favre in the lockerroom.

I'd like to ask Sharper how come it was OK for him to rip the D-linemen a couple of years ago for not earning their big contracts, yet it's not right for Favre to question a guy who doesn't want to honor his contract?

Darren (The hypocrite) Sharper
Totally agree here -- Sharper now stands out as a spineless you-know-what..
IF THIS IS SUCH A BIG DEAL TO HIM - then with that approach to the whole issue, he "certainly" should have stood up and voiced exactly the same thing during the McKenzie flame wars.... without hesitation, I might add.

Darren can truly be a personal guy - but he speaks at times without remembering where he's been. All I can think of now... is whether or not he worries about speaking up when somebody's actually right there in his face... You guys know what I'm sayin' here?

And doesn't that line of habit, yes... "habit".... also lead back to the type of courage it takes to go after the ball when it really counts out there on the field?

Now, I know Sharper's no coward... I'm sure he would stand up if backed into a corner - we all would.... (guns or no guns, I know I would - it comes with my military training & service....) But, to wait to say things such as this.. only after you're no longer going to have to face that person...on a daily basis... is a stretch on the credibility line!

I think this comment will come back to haunt one certain Safety known as Darren Sharper
You watch!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:

Is saying 'discuss' really necessary on a discussion board? C'mon now lol

I wouldn't doubt Sharper is saying this in hopes Javon continues his hold out so he doesn't have to get toasted for a few TDs by him. Sharper is coming off as a dirty person, to me anyhow.

sixone220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
what a little gutless *****. if one of your receivers don't show up for mini camp, i think that makes it a team matter and if he's missing practice time that could set him back at the start of the season(if he starts the season) then it affects you as a qb. i want to see murphy torch sharper and then bust out the sharper shake in the endzone.

LambeauLeaper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What a freakin' hypocrite. He's got the cajones to say Favre has no business in Javon Walkers affairs...and yet here is this little ***** talking about A TEAM THAT HE ISN'T EVEN ON. Go crawl back into your hole, Sharper.

LambeauLeaper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Besides, isn't it completely obvious that Sharper is popping off at the mouth because if Walker is in camp and playing for the Packers this year, he knows that he'll have to make a sorry excuse of an attempt at throwing a shoulder at Walker at some point in the season, just to see him race by and into the endzone.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
sixone220 said:
what a little gutless *****. if one of your receivers don't show up for mini camp, i think that makes it a team matter and if he's missing practice time that could set him back at the start of the season(if he starts the season) then it affects you as a qb. i want to see murphy torch sharper and then bust out the sharper shake in the endzone.

hahaha I heard Driver say on ESPN radio he will do the Sharper shake when he scores a TD against the Vikings, so will fergie

sixone220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SlickVision said:
sixone220 said:

hahaha I heard Driver say on ESPN radio he will do the Sharper shake when he scores a TD against the Vikings, so will fergie

SWEET!

LambeauLeaper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This interview with Sharper is popping up all over the net, and it makes me wonder...I wish just once, a reporter would respond back to a putz like Sharper and ask "<clearing throat> ehem...and how exactly is this any of YOUR business, Sharper? You make a point that you think it's none of Favre's business...the guy that would be throwing the ball to Walker. In fact, it's 100% Favre's business and Walker will realize that when he keeps running routes for no reason. On the other hand, considering you're not even on the team it's probably as much YOUR business as it is joe schmoe from the street. Why don't you go ahead and get the f' out of here."

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not surprising to hear from a selfish, self centered, prima dona who likes to hear himself talk.

I hope the Packers toast him every time they play him.

spaulding

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerTraxx said:
Not surprising to hear from a selfish, self centered, prima dona who likes to hear himself talk.

I hope the Packers toast him every time they play him.

You don't have to hope. Just wait for the first play of the first series against the Vikes. Sharper's just painted a big bullseye on his back. I would have said chest but we all know he always trails the receiver by 10 yds.

Members online

Latest posts