Sharper available?

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's the link

And here's the Sharper:
DEFENSIVE BACKS: Starters — LCB Antoine Winfield, RCB Cedric Griffin, SS Darren Sharper, FS Dwight Smith. Backups — LCB Ronyell Whitaker, RCB Fred Smoot, RCB Charles Gordon, SS Greg Blue, FS Will Hunter.

Griffin, a second-round pick from Texas, worked his way into a group that began the season with four veteran starters. Winfield, Smith and Sharper all tied for the team lead with four interceptions but it was clear Sharper had some difficulty adjusting to a scheme in which he wasn't allowed to freelance. For this reason, it wouldn't be shocking if Sharper is let go during the offseason and the hard-hitting Blue moves into a starting job. Griffin's physical style was one reason he replaced Smoot as the starter in late November. Smoot put on weight during the offseason in an attempt to fit into the Tampa-2 scheme but it was clear he wasn't well suited for the defense. He almost certainly will be released when the new NFL year begins in March. There also is the issue of who will serve as the Vikings' nickel back next season. Whitaker started the year in that role and then began splitting time with Griffin. Eventually, Griffin took over in the nickel and Smoot was used as the extra defensive back when Griffin became the starter. The Vikings' secondary was in a state of flux by the end of the season. Griffin missed the last two games because of a stinger injury and Smoot was injured in a car crash around Christmas. Rookie free agent Charles Gordon got the start in the season finale and definitely will get a good chance to win a roster spot in 2007. Also in the season finale, Shaper was benched in the second half in favor of Blue.

If he is cut, I'm just curious to see if any of you would want him back in GB. Granted, he's older and slower, but Manuel sucks and Underwood is unproven as an everyweek guy.

So... yes or no- Go!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
This was discussed in NFL News and Sharper said he was going to be back. :shrug:

edit, do the Packers allow their FS to 'freelance' ?

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would we want a guy who's not only on the downside, but a big mouth who bad-mouthed the Pack after going to the Vikings? We need players who let their performances speak for them. Besides, we need a guy with more upside that'll play more than one year.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Why would we want a guy who's not only on the downside, but a big mouth who bad-mouthed the Pack after going to the Vikings? We need players who let their performances speak for them. Besides, we need a guy with more upside that'll play more than one year.

I think Sharper only badmouthed Sherman. I may be mistaken.

Mackie2001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sharper would be OK if he stops trying to jump routes, avoiding blocks and stop missing tackles...just play solid defense. The Packers need veteran depth at safety and I think he still has the athleticism and speed to be a nickle corner. The price would have to be right.

Mackie2001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sharper as a nickle corner? You must be out of your mind!

You might remember there was some discussion between Wolf and Holmgren about whether Sharper was a corner or safety. With his skills, he should have been a corner. He's not very tough. It seems to me that a nickle corner would be perfect for a guy that is getting old but still has most of his skills.

packerfan1245

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sharper badmouthed the packers. He was pumping up his teamates before a monday night game at lambeau. And I remember he said......" I was with these *****es last year, and I know we are better than them."

Who wants a guy like that

Mackie2001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sharper also said that the Packers were a young team on their way up after the queens second loss this season to the Packers. That was broadcasted locally in Minnesota.

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sharper badmouthed the packers. He was pumping up his teamates before a monday night game at lambeau. And I remember he said......" I was with these *****es last year, and I know we are better than them."

Key words in that post are "pumping up his teammates"

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I sure dont thats for sure.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's gonna "kiss up" to whatever team he's on at the time.
Like they always say though, be careful when burning bridges.

magic_8ball

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think even more interesting than Sharper would be Smoot, one year ago he was considered one of the top corner backs in free agency, so what is he can't play the Tampa 2 D. Why not give him a shot. Can't go wrong with Harris, Woodson, and Smoot as your corners.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
im with you K-mac he was being a leader.

but it doesnt matter all thats just talk. his play was garbage at minn. we already have a safety who struggles in coverage we dont need two. plain and simple

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
are there any boats in the bay that Smoots can rent? Keep hiim in Minnesota so we can burn him next year.

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't want him back. I thought we kept him two years too long. We had no one better than him, but that doesn't mean he still didn't suck.

I thought he had no closing speed and that's what killed him.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sharper always talked a better game than he played. I would sooner see some young talent, at least they have a legatimate excuse for busted coverages and can learn better.

refpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
Here's the link

And here's the Sharper:
DEFENSIVE BACKS: Starters — LCB Antoine Winfield, RCB Cedric Griffin, SS Darren Sharper, FS Dwight Smith. Backups — LCB Ronyell Whitaker, RCB Fred Smoot, RCB Charles Gordon, SS Greg Blue, FS Will Hunter.

Griffin, a second-round pick from Texas, worked his way into a group that began the season with four veteran starters. Winfield, Smith and Sharper all tied for the team lead with four interceptions but it was clear Sharper had some difficulty adjusting to a scheme in which he wasn't allowed to freelance. For this reason, it wouldn't be shocking if Sharper is let go during the offseason and the hard-hitting Blue moves into a starting job. Griffin's physical style was one reason he replaced Smoot as the starter in late November. Smoot put on weight during the offseason in an attempt to fit into the Tampa-2 scheme but it was clear he wasn't well suited for the defense. He almost certainly will be released when the new NFL year begins in March. There also is the issue of who will serve as the Vikings' nickel back next season. Whitaker started the year in that role and then began splitting time with Griffin. Eventually, Griffin took over in the nickel and Smoot was used as the extra defensive back when Griffin became the starter. The Vikings' secondary was in a state of flux by the end of the season. Griffin missed the last two games because of a stinger injury and Smoot was injured in a car crash around Christmas. Rookie free agent Charles Gordon got the start in the season finale and definitely will get a good chance to win a roster spot in 2007. Also in the season finale, Shaper was benched in the second half in favor of Blue.

If he is cut, I'm just curious to see if any of you would want him back in GB. Granted, he's older and slower, but Manuel sucks and Underwood is unproven as an everyweek guy.

So... yes or no- Go!

I have no problem in bringing him back...theres wo sides to every story........Plus he is better than what we currrently have....As long as theres a player out there who is better than who we have, I say bring them in

refpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
Here's the link

And here's the Sharper:

So... yes or no- Go!

I have no problem in bringing him back...theres wo sides to every story........Plus he is better than what we currrently have....As long as theres a player out there who is better than who we have, I say bring them in

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Can someone post some articles? I can only remember him ****** Sherman.

Dude im so sure he said that. It was a monday night game and i won't forget it. Trust me.
I do remember Sharper making some Anti-Packer comments before a game. That was the game where Driver BURNED him so badly!
I remember afterwards thinking "Sharper, how do those words taste now, having to chew and swallow them???"
As bad as he was burned, i don't think he has the speed to play anymore.

Members online

Latest posts