Sharpe, Holmgren semi finalists for 2023 Hall of Fame

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Cecil Isbell was QB when The Pack won 3 in a row. In the 30s?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

Sterling not yet in the Hall of Fame is an absolute crime against humanity. I sure hope the senior committee is smarter than the writers.
The knock on Sterling was his "short" 7 year career yet Terrell Davis is in with 7 years of which only 4 were good years. He dominated in those 4 on a SB winning team. Sterling played for the last of the gory years Packers.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Tony Boselli, Terrell Davis, and Gale Sayers are in then Sterling Sharpe needs to be in as well.

Sterling Sharpe - 7 seasons, 5x Pro Bowl, 3x All-Pro
Tony Boselli - 7 seasons, 5x Pro Bowl, 3x All-Pro
Terrell Davis - 7 seasons, 3x Pro Bowl, 3x All-Pro
Gale Sayers - 7 seasons, 4x Pro Bowl, 5x All-Pro

Sterling Sharpe was dominant in his time in the NFL. Personally, I would much rather see people in the HOF who had short, dominant careers than people who compiled stats over time but were never among the best at their position. Greatness > Longevity

Budman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Tony Boselli, Terrell Davis, and Gale Sayers are in then Sterling Sharpe needs to be in as well.

Sterling Sharpe - 7 seasons, 5x Pro Bowl, 3x All-Pro
Tony Boselli - 7 seasons, 5x Pro Bowl, 3x All-Pro
Terrell Davis - 7 seasons, 3x Pro Bowl, 3x All-Pro
Gale Sayers - 7 seasons, 4x Pro Bowl, 5x All-Pro

Sterling Sharpe was dominant in his time in the NFL. Personally, I would much rather see people in the HOF who had short, dominant careers than people who compiled stats over time but were never among the best at their position. Greatness > Longevity
Especially in the context of when they played. Sharpe was dominant and I believe deserves to get in.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I knew of Davis but not the other 2. If no one with 7 years service was in I would say Sharpe doesn't belong either but there is the precedent and not only once. Still, if I think it wasn't a long enough career the precedent shouldn't matter. Kinda like just because others have done it doesn't make it OK.

On the other hand I get the argument for him getting in. Anyone know where he ranked in relation to the other WRs over those 7 years when compared to Davis and Sayers. If I'm reading the stat page correctly it looks he had 3 seasons leading the league in receptions, one for yards and 2 fot TDs.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He had Rice in the rearview for a couple. At the time he got hurt you easily could have argued for him as best active WR in the league.

Reaction score
It’s not always fair.
Look what they had done to Leroy Butler. Leroy and his Mom wrote his acceptance speech over 10 years ago and she since passed away.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I knew of Davis but not the other 2. If no one with 7 years service was in I would say Sharpe doesn't belong either but there is the precedent and not only once. Still, if I think it wasn't a long enough career the precedent shouldn't matter. Kinda like just because others have done it doesn't make it OK.

On the other hand I get the argument for him getting in. Anyone know where he ranked in relation to the other WRs over those 7 years when compared to Davis and Sayers. If I'm reading the stat page correctly it looks he had 3 seasons leading the league in receptions, one for yards and 2 fot TDs.
When you consider in every game everyone knew who was going to be targeted but Sterling still dominated, even on some lousy teams we had back then during his first 5 years. I recall his brother Shannon said when he was inducted that he was probably the only guy in the HOF who was the second best player in his family.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
When you consider in every game everyone knew who was going to be targeted but Sterling still dominated, even on some lousy teams we had back then during his first 5 years. I recall his brother Shannon said when he was inducted that he was probably the only guy in the HOF who was the second best player in his family.
Which always brings up the debate: Sterling, Devonte, or Lofton who is the best (just on the field activities?)

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, Jennings. He had hands equal or better than Devante, he was faster, broke bigger plays, could take the 3 yard slant to the house, could make the boundary catch, the inside, ran clean precise routes and was so smooth doing. etc. Devante had great body control and was very sudden in his movement. He could take a hit, but he couldn't break a tackle. I loved him as a player and it's not a knock against him, but yes, I'd take Jennings. He did everything Devante could do, it just looked different. Where Adams was quick twitch in short space, Jennings made breaks without breaking stride. But Jennings was much more of a turn the small stuff into huge stuff than Adams ever was.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually have to agree with Mondio. Jennings could break games open.

Sharpe was exceptional in that he led the league in receptions three seasons, and also set the all-time record twice. He did this while being the main target on the Packers, and while playing at the same time as Jerry Rice, Art Monk, Michael Irvin, Andre Reed, Herman Moore, etc.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think Cecil Isbell was QB when The Pack won 3 in a row. In the 30s?

Red Dunn actually started most games at quarterback for the Packers from 1929 to '31 when they won three consecutive championships.

Isbell played for the team from 1938-42.

Anyone know where he ranked in relation to the other WRs over those 7 years when compared to Davis and Sayers. If I'm reading the stat page correctly it looks he had 3 seasons leading the league in receptions, one for yards and 2 fot TDs.

Sharpe ranked second in the league in receptions and receiving touchdowns and third in receiving yards in the league from 1988-94. Obviously Jerry Rice was first in all of these categories.

Davis ranked seventh in rushing yards and fourth in touchdowns from 1995-2001. You need to consider that he played in only 17 games over the last three seasons of his career though.

Sayers ranked fourth in rushing yards and touchdowns from 1965-71. Once again, you need to be aware he only played in four games over his past two seasons in the league.

I think STerling, Lofton and Jennings were all better than Devante

You might have a valid point with Lofton and Sharpe but Jennings never was one of the best wide receivers in the league like Adams even while possessing the talents you mentioned above.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You might have a valid point with Lofton and Sharpe but Jennings never was one of the best wide receivers in the league like Adams even while possessing the talents you mentioned above.
He never did lead the league in stats, but IMO besides being the quickest receiver in the first 3 steps i've seen, there isn't anything Adams did that Jennings couldn't also do. The biggest difference, I saw Adams get run down time and time again or make a great catch, make a guy miss and get tackled by the next.

With Jenning, he was so smooth he'd be at the 2nd level and past them all before anybody knew what he was doing and he wasn't a blazer, or that quick twitch. But he was precise, sure handed and he turned more short stuff into game breakers where Devante couldn't.
Sometimes being the only best on the team hurts you in that everyone focuses on you, but it also provides opportunity in the form of many more targets. Never got to see if Greg could do it on his own, like Adams did, but I think he would have.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry but Gale Sayers was in a league of his own in this conversation. That said, I think there’s an arguement to be made for Sharpe. Holmgren? I love the guy. Wish Wolf had handed things over to him. But HOF material?…. Nope

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry but Gale Sayers was in a league of his own in this conversation. That said, I think there’s an arguement to be made for Sharpe. Holmgren? I love the guy. Wish Wolf had handed things over to him. But HOF material?…. Nope
Agree about Sayers. He changed and affected games more than any of those other guys.

Members online

Latest posts