Shareholder Meeting

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I got my first ballot as a shareholder yesterday. I'm tempted to just not vote, since I don't know anything about the Board of Directors or who they are. But just in case, I'll ask: Is there someone we should be trying to boot out of there?

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I got my first ballot as a shareholder yesterday. I'm tempted to just not vote, since I don't know anything about the Board of Directors or who they are. But just in case, I'll ask: Is there someone we should be trying to boot out of there?
My guess is you are in the same boat as 90% or more of those who became owners in the last three stock sales. Uninformed voting is worse than not voting at all.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well let's be realistic about the Packers' board. It does not function like it used to back in the day. The Packers president really runs the show - Mark Murphy these days. Changing who is on the board of directors won't really affect any change with how the team is run. On-field performance is the real driver, although fan sentiment if strong enough could force a change in management. Being on the board these days is a status symbol and just a necessary by-product of having a publicly held team.

In the end I'm saying that it really doesn't matter either way if you vote or not, but for the Packers specifically I don't think that uniformed voting makes things any better or worse. The vote outcome and Board composition has no bearing on what you see each Sunday.

OP
OP
R

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My guess is you are in the same boat as 90% or more of those who became owners in the last three stock sales. Uninformed voting is worse than not voting at all.
That's the way I feel about elections. But they seem to push this idea that everyone has the civic obligation to vote, even if they haven't a clue what is going on. I've never agreed with that.

In the end I'm saying that it really doesn't matter either way if you vote or not, but for the Packers specifically I don't think that uniformed voting makes things any better or worse. The vote outcome and Board composition has no bearing on what you see each Sunday.
Can't the board replace Murphy though? If that was what someone wanted to do.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do they have the power? Yes.

However, the Packers continue to stay very financially healthy under leadership the past few decades. Winning will do that, but they also developed a culture and brand that can endure some losing seasons.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do they have the power? Yes.

However, the Packers continue to stay very financially healthy under leadership the past few decades. Winning will do that, but they also developed a culture and brand that can endure some losing seasons.
^^^ This. Murph's job is the Green Bay Packers. In addition to the football operation there is the business side. Without a rich owner it becomes more difficult to keep up with the rising salary guarantees, of which there must be monies placed in escrow, enough to cover, IIRC. The way the Pack are developing the area around the stadium will give us the cash flow to keep up with the Jones's.

Anyone wanting to rid themselves of MM, just wow.

D

Deleted member 6794

As I have repeatedly mentioned in the past, Murphy has done an excellent job regarding the business side. He should stay out of football decisions though.

With that being said I don't see any reason to consider replacing him.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Over the course of so many years, I've only found a short list of people I wouldn't vote for as a member of the board. I won't mention any of them, because it's probably unfair to them to do so. None are on the board now, their terms expired.

I actually combed over the list for this election, and found nobody that I thought was questionable enough to refuse to vote for. So, I voted for the slate recommended.

Now, since I can't be there for the meeting, I have four proxies going in my stead. I'll have to watch it streaming over the internet.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember back before the 1997 stock sale going to the shareholders' meetings were kinda fun. They were held at the old Midway Motor Lodge and there were perhaps 50 people there and everyone dressed up in suits/ties and dresses because it was (and still is) a business meeting. Nobody would ever wear Packers gear then. There you could really rub elbows with the swells. The HC was the GM so he was there and you could actually go up and talk to him or any of the folks on the Board afterwards. Now with hundreds of people dressed like they are going to a game I haven't gone in a few years even though we've come back to GB for 17 summers since we retired.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Well let's be realistic about the Packers' board. It does not function like it used to back in the day. The Packers president really runs the show - Mark Murphy these days. Changing who is on the board of directors won't really affect any change with how the team is run. On-field performance is the real driver, although fan sentiment if strong enough could force a change in management. Being on the board these days is a status symbol and just a necessary by-product of having a publicly held team.
It certainly can, if the wrong people get elected to the board.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It certainly can, if the wrong people get elected to the board.
Of course it could but I think you would have to have several wrong people for it to make much of a difference. I don't know who is on the board but I'm guessing its more of a status symbol for the vast majority of them and I doubt they want to F it up. Its not like they can make decisions that will make them a lot of money so I don't really see the incentive for the wrong people to even run for a position. I doubt you'd have a bunch of closet viking fans conspiring to bring the organization down from the inside.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People who are nominated have been vetted as much as the government does for a top secret clearance. They don't recruit them from the Brown County hoosegow.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People who are nominated have been vetted as much as the government does for a top secret clearance. They don't recruit them from the Brown County hoosegow.
Yes, most of those nominated are successful business leaders from throughout the state or former players.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, most of those nominated are successful business leaders from throughout the state or former players.
Spot on. Early on it was friends of Curly's and local businessmen that wanted to support the team, akin to the local bar sponsoring jerseys for a local beer league softball team. More and more it became local business leaders and former players that had a vested interest in keeping the team strong. Now they are mostly current and former CEOs from Wisconsin companies.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all I believe the general manager should be in charge of all football decisions. In addition I don't believe Murphy is any good at it.
Not sure how high your expectations are, we are 39-10 since he had everyone report to him. Perhaps he is able to help facilitate communication between coach and GM to make sure everyone is on the same page, and he seeing the total picture, not just that of which he is in control of, as a coach or GM could possibly do.

Big picture to me is he is acting exactly as I would expect of the head a business making around a 1/2 a billion $ per annum.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I shared CaptainWIMM's sentiment about the power structure when it was first announced. However, like Packer Fan in SD perfectly stated you can't argue the results. Taking it further, I am not aware of any internal power struggles that have impacted the team or organizational dynamics. Buck the traditional methods and you will get one of two outcomes: 1) failure and everyone calling you a moron; or 2) success and everyone begrudgingly calling you smart. I can respect someone that forges their own path and makes it work. It's organizational innovation.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay, so I feel no need to vote. Should I RSVP regarding attendance, or will they just assume I'm not coming?
Yes. RSVP. That helps them plan ahead. As for voting, why not go over the candidate list and do a little research. You might find it interesting as to who has been tapped to be part of the larger group. It's an amazing cross section of people.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I shared CaptainWIMM's sentiment about the power structure when it was first announced. However, like Packer Fan in SD perfectly stated you can't argue the results. Taking it further, I am not aware of any internal power struggles that have impacted the team or organizational dynamics. Buck the traditional methods and you will get one of two outcomes: 1) failure and everyone calling you a moron; or 2) success and everyone begrudgingly calling you smart. I can respect someone that forges their own path and makes it work. It's organizational innovation.
I posted somewhere around here a few months back the Packers aren't the only team with this structure. Some currently successful teams have the traditional coach reports to GM and other currently successful teams have the coach and GM each report to some other exec or the owner. The exec usually has some title like head of football operations. Some GMs have that title also if the coach reports to them.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts