Shannon Sharpe's comments

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Did anybody else see Shannon Sharpe's praise of Sterling in his HOF speach? I nearly choked up watching it.
Shannon said it best "That fate had dealt you a different hand, there's no question, there's absolutely no question in my mind, that we would have been the first brothers elected to the Hall of Fame"
He was that damned good, yes, better than Shannon.
It was epic to see Sterling get his dues from the fans in attendance. A must see for Packer fans. It's on NFL.com right now, maybe someone can post a link.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did anybody else see Shannon Sharpe's praise of Sterling in his HOF speach? I nearly choked up watching it.
Shannon said it best "That fate had dealt you a different hand, there's no question, there's absolutely no question in my mind, that we would have been the first brothers elected to the Hall of Fame"
He was that damned good, yes, better than Shannon.
It was epic to see Sterling get his dues from the fans in attendance. A must see for Packer fans. It's on NFL.com right now, maybe someone can post a link.

A really moving speech by Shannon Sharpe!

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't see it because I couldn't bare to watch knowing both big mouths Deion and Shannon would be up there.
But I love what Shannon said about Sterling. Sterling was as good as Rice was, as Irvin was, but the neck ruined it all.
It sucks... it's also ironic. Both Irvin & Sterling were 1st round picks in 1987 (or 88), along with Tim Brown.

Sterling was the best, as he showed his first 6 or so years.
Irvin also hurt his neck and had to retire. In 1999.

Had his gone in 94 and Sterling's in 99, I think we would have won 3 Super Bowls and Dallas 1 at the most.

Sterling and Terrell Davis... both were Hall of Fame superstars, but injuries cut their careers too short. Well, for Packer fans, maybe Terrell's wasn't short enough. :eek:(

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jerry Rice has some of the most padded stats of all time. Nothing wrong with that, but he bounced around to any team that would have him until the Broncos cut him in camp

maccadon3000

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jerry Rice has some of the most padded stats of all time. Nothing wrong with that, but he bounced around to any team that would have him until the Broncos cut him in camp

Sorry man, but you are WAAAAAY off. Look I loved Sterling and he is my favorite Packer of old, but Jerry Rice didn't "bounce around to any team that would have him" He played for only 3 other teams before being cut by the Broncos: the 49ers, the Raiders and the Sea Hawks(traded mid season and only played 11 games). And his career was clearly on the downside when he was on the Raiders, but he was still a VERY productive receiver for them. At the AGE OF 40!?!? he put up a 92 rec 1211 yds 7 td season. That's just ridiculous. And he only played 3 years there. As Cris Carter just this morning put it, when asked if he could have been near Jerry's numbers if he had Marino or another great QB in his prime, he said "No way. Jerry was on another planet." His stats weren't padded, he was just that good. And, like I said, I loved Sterling and think he would have been a HOF, but he wasn't in Rice's class. He was great, but Rice was the greatest, and it really wasn't close.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From the little I saw (early 90's), Sterling Sharpe was better than Jerry Rice. Sterling was a bigger, more physical Rice.

As for the speech, best I've ever seen.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PY-8Eamk8Q&feature=related]Shannon Sharpes HOF Speech - YouTube[/ame]

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Never seen Sterling get that way.,..

Sterling was the BEST during a span of years...If not for the injury he would have passed Rice in lot of stuff..

People knew he was getting the ball and he still beat them

I am glad Shannon mentioned his brother..But Shannon did deserve to make it in the HOF

maccadon3000

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So rice just went down hill after his rookie year lol. That was a crazy stat

I was WAY wrong on that stat. Not my fault though. The website that I used had it down as that. It almost seemed too unreal to believe, so I did some more research. Like I said, way wrong, so I deleted it. I am too lazy to go back and do the math of the two, but let's just say they were both great and I think Rice was better. :friends:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Humble, grateful and classy equals a great HOF acceptance speech. Saying he is the only inductee who is the second best football player in his family was very touching.

As to the greatest WR in NFL history we can use and argue statistics – and I will - but in the end it’s a subjective judgment. In my opinion the greatest WR in NFL history is Don Hutson and not because I’m a lifelong Packers fan. It’s because when I consider the greatest of all time anything, I try to put it in historical context. For me, its how he compared to his contemporaries and that, for me, puts Hutson as the all time greatest. Hutson created many of the routes used today. He was so dominant in his era, according to Wikipedia, as of 2009, he still held the following all-time NFL records: Most seasons leading league in pass receptions (8), Most consecutive seasons leading league in pass receptions (5), Most seasons leading league in pass receiving yards gained (7), Most consecutive seasons leading league in pass receiving yards gained (4), Most seasons leading league in pass receiving touchdowns (9), Most consecutive seasons leading league in pass receiving touchdowns (5), Most seasons leading league in scoring (5), and Most consecutive seasons leading league in scoring (5). So while Rice’s total catches and total yards dwarf Hutson’s, consider these records were still in place 60+ years after Hutson retired.

Cold Hard Football Facts did a comparison of the two back in 2005. Here’s an excerpt from that story: "Hutson's 1942 campaign was probably the greatest season by a receiver in NFL history. In 11 games, Hutson caught 74 passes for 1,211 yards (16.4 YPC) and 17 TDs – numbers that even by today's pass-happy standards would have put Hutson in the Pro Bowl. Rice, the dominant receiver of our day, played his entire career with the benefit of a 16-game schedule. He surpassed 17 TDs just once and equaled it one other time. Projected over a 16-game schedule, Hutson would have caught 108 passes for 1,761 yards and 25 TDs in 1942."

As the story says, Hutson had 74 receptions in 1942. The player who had the second-most receptions caught 27 passes. Hutson averaged 110 receiving yards per game. The next receiver averaged 52. Hudson scored 17 TDs, next in line: 8 TDs, 5 TDs, and four players tied with 4 TDs. He had almost three times more receptions and more than doubled his contemporaries in yards/game and TDs.

I loved watching Sterling Sharpe – he was a WR with a LB’s attitude. But IMO Rice was the better WR and the best of his era.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
i believe with Sterling and Freeman, mannnn we would have been unstoppable in 1997. Actually we were but that would have juiced us a bit.

Still love ya Sterling, your memory serves on through Tecmo Bowl!!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts