Shame on Ted Thompson

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From Cliff Christl's blog:

"Green Bay - What happens if Koren Robinson kills somebody in Wisconsin driving drunk or fleeing the police?

Green Bay Packers general manager Ted Thompson wore a smile late Monday afternoon as he prepared to meet the media in the Lambeau Field atrium to announce the signing of wide receiver and kick returner Koren Robinson. When that was the first question fired at Thompson following his brief introductory remarks, he turned ashen and somber as he tried to collect himself and provide an answer.

"Oh, I can't answer anything like that," Thompson said after a two-second pause. "There's issues in his past that obviously he's made some mistakes, but most of those issues are covered under the confidentiality of the NFL and the NFLPA. There's programs set up and that sort of thing, and that's where that lies."

Maybe if Thompson had given that potential tragedy some thought prior to that moment, he might have come to his senses and not been standing there. Because he hadn't, he should have answered, "The blood, or at least some splattering of it, will be on my hands."

Chilling?

You bet it's a chilling thought. When the local professional football team signs a player less than a month after he has been arrested for allegedly driving drunk at more than 100 miles an hour and refusing to stop for police, that is what should be foremost on the minds of the people of Wisconsin, most of whom are good, loyal fans of the Packers. We shouldn't be thinking about whether this troubled player can help this troubled team win an extra game or two.

This was a move that deserves no mercy when it comes to criticism and only a chilling look at what could be the most chilling consequences of it.

Maybe there's little risk if Robinson merely suffers a relapse with his alcohol addiction. But if that relapse leads to death, something that Thompson apparently viewed as the unthinkable, the damage done to the Packers will be tsunami-like.

Is Thompson really that stupid to risk the reputation, the kindred spirit and the good will that one of the most storied franchises in sports has built with its community and its fans over 80-some years?

Could Thompson not figure out beforehand that if Robinson goes astray in any way that gives the Packers a black eye he might erase almost all of the positive feelings that were created under his mentor, Ron Wolf, following the bleak 1980s, when the Packers were habitual losers both on and off the field?

Why didn't chief executive officer Bob Harlan, chief operating officer John Jones and the executive committee overrule Thompson in the case?

Is Harlan willing to risk his legacy during his final year in office on Koren Robinson not tarnishing the image of the franchise? Have the members of the committee completely lost their spine?

This is a player who has at least two strikes against him in the NFL's substance-abuse program. This is a player who has had repeated problems with alcohol over his six years in the league, perhaps leaving him on pace to become football's version of Steve Howe.

Yes, it's best if the executive committee doesn't interfere with football decisions. And, yes, it always has been pretty much a rubber stamp for whatever the general manager and coach want.

But this was more than just a football decision.

Again, and it can't be emphasized enough, this was a decision to sign a player who within the last month endangered lives in one of the most reckless ways possible.

A player who was released by the rival Minnesota Vikings because they no longer wanted to deal with the problems he created.

How many mothers and fathers, or any of you for that matter, want this player living in your neighborhood or driving your streets at night?

True enough, the National Football League isn't the Boy Scouts. It's automatically assumed that if a city has a franchise, it's going to be harboring players with arrest records, convictions, you name it.

If the Packers, or any other teams for that matter, limited itself to signing only good citizens, they couldn't compete in what some, in an attempt at dark humor, have called the National Felony League.

Nor would most people be naïve enough in these parts to believe that since the days of Johnny Blood there haven't been Packers going out at night, imbibing too much and driving. Probably most of us who live in this state, at least those of us 21 and older, have driven at some time or another after having too much to drink.

Had the Packers signed Randy Moss or Terrell Owens or any other malcontent or controversial figure, it would have drawn no quarrel here. The 1996 Super Bowl champs included players with troubled pasts. Andre Rison, Tyrone Williams, even Brett Favre come to mind.

But Robinson, at least for now, so soon after his most recent incident, can't offer anything but hollow promises that he'll get his life together and not repeat his senseless behavior that had him racing back to the Vikings' training camp in Mankato with an alleged 0.11 blood-alcohol content.

That's why Thompson and the Packers will be culpable for any calamities or tragedies that Robinson might bring to pass here. Under almost any other circumstances, it would be unfair to blame Thompson or the Packers for trouble caused by their players.

They're employers, not babysitters.

But they wouldn't deserve impunity in this case. They certainly couldn't plead ignorance.

The potential downside here so outweighs the potential gains that somebody, somewhere in the organization with any kind of authority should have had the good sense to speak up and short-circuit the move.

Then again, maybe that's why this team appears to be in a free fall and is even willing to once again risk becoming the squalor it was back in the days when no player symbolized it any better than Mossy Cade."

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
a little over-dramatic. yeah, the guy's been kind of a ******. yeah, he has big problems. What if he kills someone driving drunk or fleeing police? he'll go to prison. jeez. accountability. he ****s up, he gets fired.

BairesPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe KR should be sent to the moon where he can drive without hurt anybody... Or what its worst, you sugest that he stay and drive in other places awhere he can hurt anyone...but not in GB...

"...to risk the reputation, the kindred spirit and the good will that one of the most storied franchises in sports has built with its community and its fans over 80-some years?"....
This is not anymore a sport (it was at some time), its a bussines...you shuold know that.

Dont want to be agresive with you (and sorry if i am), but this is the most stupid post i´ve ever read in this forum.

OP
OP
T

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BairesPackFan said:
Maybe KR should be sent to the moon where he can drive without hurt anybody... Or what its worst, you sugest that he stay and drive in other places awhere he can hurt anyone...but not in GB...

"...to risk the reputation, the kindred spirit and the good will that one of the most storied franchises in sports has built with its community and its fans over 80-some years?"....
This is not anymore a sport (it was at some time), its a bussines...you shuold know that.

Dont want to be agresive with you (and sorry if i am), but this is the most stupid post i´ve ever read in this forum.

Doesn't even compare to how stupid yours was. Read the entire thing and you'll see I was quoting Cliff Christl's blog.

I don't necessarily agree or disagree with all of this. The NFL is about winning, but if K-Rob means an extra two wins it might take us from a 3-13 team to a 5-11 team. K-Rob is the kind of guy you take a chance on when you're a player or two away from competing for a Super Bowl/NFC Title/Division Title/Playoff Berth, which the Packers clearly are not.

This signing really has very little upside, if any, which is why it's such a bad idea when considered in the context of the potential negative impact it could have in the community of Green Bay or on the reputation of the franchise.

OP
OP
T

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
a little over-dramatic. yeah, the guy's been kind of a ******. yeah, he has big problems. What if he kills someone driving drunk or fleeing police? he'll go to prison. jeez. accountability. he ****s up, he gets fired.

You're absolutely right, but the point is that it is a risk and why bring the guy into your community when at most he might change your team from a 3-4 win team to a 5-6 win team? I hardly think anyone can come up with a good answer to the question.

I'd always, up to this point at least, that TT made decisions in a sober and dispassionate way. This siging smacks of desperation and shows one of two things, neither good:

1. TT is feeling the heat; or

2. TT is trying again to justify one of his former first round picks (remember that Mike Sherman was critcized soundly and rightly for refusing to admit his mistakes).

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
the likelyhood is greater from an alcoholic but how many other alcoholics are on the team who are not aware of their disease?

not to mentiong any player could get into an accident and kill someone

Ryan Pickett got into an accident couple months ago hurting someone pretty bad.

OP
OP
T

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
the likelyhood is greater from an alcoholic but how many other alcoholics are on the team who are not aware of their disease?

The difference is that KR is a known risk and has a history of drunk driving. Why take the chance?

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
not agreeing with his deision the man still has to go to court,and could be suspended for the the year so what was the point if that happens,but if he does get to play take away his keys make him take a cab untill the year is done :)

BairesPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doesn't even compare to how stupid yours was. Read the entire thing and you'll see I was quoting Cliff Christl's blog.
I saw that..and dont mean to say that you are/was stupid, but the post (or the "article") was -and still is- stupid and discriminating.

In any other subjet, you are so bling for your anti-TT feeling that any reply will be a waste of time.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need his talent. Tell me which is worse: 1 player who has a history of drivng drunk or 70,000 fans leaving a Packers game smashed? This article is way to dramatic.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
calicheesehead said:
We need his talent. Tell me which is worse: 1 player who has a history of drivng drunk or 70,000 fans leaving a Packers game smashed? This article is way to dramatic.

Now I find that overly dramatic.
70,000 fans leaving a Packer game smashed.
Sorry, that is a rash statement.

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Close all the bars! Throw all the alcohol away! We can't have a chance of someone being killed by a drunken driver!

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My bad Yooper. 25,000 people instead of 70,000. Bottom line is that there are thousands of fans leaving every football game with over .08 BAC. Whatever number you can come to grips with is far more than 1 player.

OP
OP
T

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BairesPackFan said:
In any other subjet, you are so bling for your anti-TT feeling that any reply will be a waste of time.

Figures.

BTW, I'm not in any way blindly anti-TT. I've praised some of his decisions and questioned others but I hope he's successful because his success equals the Packers' success.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
calicheesehead said:
My bad Yooper. 25,000 people instead of 70,000. Bottom line is that there are thousands of fans leaving every football game with over .08 BAC. Whatever number you can come to grips with is far more than 1 player.

they sell tons of beer at the stadium and encourage tailgating... the wilder the better. you are very right about tons of people leaving drunk... hell 5000 people is a bigger deal than one wide reciever whos probally terrified of cars now.

if your gonna freak out about this one guy.... your gonna have to stop the sale of alchohol in the stadium. overdramatic lame article.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
Then again, maybe that's why this team appears to be in a free fall and is even willing to once again risk becoming the squalor it was back in the days when no player symbolized it any better than Mossy Cade."

Well said! This is another TT blunder. Face it folks, you TT supporters used the "packer people" statement for an excuse for so many people. If Koren would not have been signed you would have used it for him. You bash Vike fans for low class guys like this. Don't come here and change your tune now.

First off, Koren left Seattle because he just wasn't consistent. He drops ALOT of balls. He doesn't bring a whole lot to the table as a WR. He could be an exciting KR, however.

The problem lies in the fact that he is a black eye to the organization. We waited til week 1 to sign anybody. It was a mistake going in with 4 WR. Gardner just got a 3-year deal from the Cheifs. Is Gardner an underacheiver, yes, but he is not an UNDERACHEIVING DRUNK! Why get rid of Gardner and pick up Robinson? I can't understand what Ted Thompson is doing to this team. The sad thing is I don't think he even knows what hes trying to do.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yooperfan said:
calicheesehead said:

Now I find that overly dramatic.
70,000 fans leaving a Packer game smashed.
Sorry, that is a rash statement.

*****, calicheese!!! :lol:

and yooper - have you ever BEEN to a packer game?? as i recall, i've been purty darn tipsy at almost every game i've been to & trust me - i wasn't the only one!! :wink:

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i have a ton of alcoholics in my extended family. my parents used to both be alcoholics. being an alcoholic is not the same as being a murderer or an arsonist, or an *******. it's an addiction. Remember who else had an addiction problem a few years back???? now, i am tough on a lot of people, myself included, and i put accountability near the top of the short list of virtues that i try to maintain. if you **** up, you fix it. regardless of whether his alcoholism is a risk or not (which it is!), he hasn't been caught carrying guns or robbing, murdering, or ****** anyone. alcoholism is a whole different problem. he's not a criminal. he's an addict who makes poor decisions when he's under the influence. he needs help, however he can get it. don't make him out to be a criminal. that being said, it's true there seems to be very little upside for the packers and it wreaks of desparation on Ted's part, but let's stop talking so much **** about koren robinson.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People wanted a weapon and they get one. Just not the one they wanted. hmmm that tells you a little something. Robinson is a good player and isn't the only player that does what he does. He probably isn't the only Packer that does what he does. We'll see what happens. I assume he signed a multi year deal and won't get paid if he gets supspended.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
People wanted a weapon and they get one. Just not the one they wanted. hmmm that tells you a little something. Robinson is a good player and isn't the only player that does what he does. He probably isn't the only Packer that does what he does. We'll see what happens. I assume he signed a multi year deal and won't get paid if he gets supspended.

I knew this was coming. Yeah we don't like the Robinson signing because we just want to "bash TT". Get Real, please.

I actually don't mind the Robinson signing. I don't even much care he is a drunk. The problem is if TT wanted to sign guys with PROBLEMS why didn't he go out and grab some of the others 2 months ago when they could have participated in camp and learned the offense.

I was told it was because they are "not Packer People." Now Koren is brought in and MY GOLLY THE TUNE SURE HAS CHANGED.........Now THAT tells you something.

This is TT covering up for another one of his blunders. Not pursuing a reciever in the offseason, other than the ones he cut, admitting his mistake, and trying to go into the year with 4 WR's, is just another slip-up made by the BRAIN behind the 26-0 debacle.

If Koren can help, good, but this isn't exactly the ideal way to approach a season. Maybe after week 10 TT will finally go after that OG we so desperately need. Oh Wait, they are not important

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
UM..again...some folks here buy into the "Packer People" stuff, not all. No need to label everyone who disagree with you with this moniker.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you never said that TT was changing the direction of this team by bringing in "Packer People" or "Classy" guys?

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No way am I entering the TT debate. It is early and time will tell. I believe that the run game is what they truely wanted to establish with this team. After 3 preseason games it probably was glaringly obvious that we would struggle with the new guards to get the run going. That left Favre with the passing game to open things up, because the other teams had to respect the pass. At this juncture of the training camp it was too costly for TT to get WR help so he waited for this period to open without having to pay someone their guarnatee. KR just fell into place, being a WR upgrade at a very low cost. This may pay off dividends provided we don't lose him for suspension. At this point I'd even take Moss, as much as that is to stomach, but we need playmakers, and I remember too often KR going deep on us.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts