SF to trade Alex smith to KC

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Just got my sports center update on my phone telling me of the trade. WOW, now who's gunna be a solid back up if Kaperpick goes down? I think he will be hurt eventually with all that running around crap he does. KC should be much better off now.

H

HardRightEdge

SF was about 5 mil. over the cap, and that's before tagging or signing Goldson.

They did not have a choice. You just cannot have that much cap space sitting on the bench.

As time goes by, run option plays will be phased out of these offenses, swinging back to pro sets, except for those teams arrogant enough to believe they can replace their QB every few years.

The rules protecting pocket passers and the $ involved in QB second contracts will eventually relegate run option to occasional gadget play status.

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought they would have gotten more than a second round pick. I was gonna say it was a chance worth taking if they got at least a first round pick, but just a second? Close call on that.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SF was about 5 mil. over the cap, and that's before tagging or signing Goldson.

They did not have a choice. You just cannot have that much cap space sitting on the bench.

As time goes by, run option plays will be phased out of these offenses, swinging back to pro sets, except for those teams arrogant enough to believe they can replace their QB every few years.

The rules protecting pocket passers and the $ involved in QB second contracts will eventually relegate run option to occasional gadget play status.

Excellent point on the 49ers cap issue. I think Goldson will be let go. And this 49ers team is in major need to clear space b/c they have plenty of talent coming off their rookie contracts that are going to need pay raises - Crabtree, Kaep, Iupati, Davis ...

It's funny how rubes like us know this stuff, yet national medial pundits completely ignore this fact when creating rumors. For instance, 49ers have a ton of picks this draft - far too many than they'll ever need. Of course, they aren't going to deal some. Thus, a rumor is spreading that it may use the extra picks to go after Revis. Good fit and assets to do it. But of course, fitting Revis' contract against their cap is nearly impossible. Minor detail that goes unreported.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Apparently the 49ers received KC’s second rounder in this draft and a conditional pick in next year’s draft. That gives them 12 picks in this draft – 5 in the top 93, with as many as 3 compensation picks according to more than one site.

First round: No. 31
Second round: No. 34 (from KC)
Second round: No. 61
Third round: No. 74 (from Carolina)
Third round: No. 93
Fourth round: own pick
Fifth round: From Indianapolis (No. 24 in round)
Fifth round: own pick
Sixth round: From Miami (No. 12 in round)
Sixth round: own pick
Seventh round: From Cincinnati (No. 21 in round)
Seventh round: own pick

Plus compensation picks.

H

HardRightEdge

Excellent point on the 49ers cap issue. I think Goldson will be let go. And this 49ers team is in major need to clear space b/c they have plenty of talent coming off their rookie contracts that are going to need pay raises - Crabtree, Kaep, Iupati, Davis ...

It's funny how rubes like us know this stuff, yet national medial pundits completely ignore this fact when creating rumors. For instance, 49ers have a ton of picks this draft - far too many than they'll ever need. Of course, they aren't going to deal some. Thus, a rumor is spreading that it may use the extra picks to go after Revis. Good fit and assets to do it. But of course, fitting Revis' contract against their cap is nearly impossible. Minor detail that goes unreported.

I posited a few weeks ago that Goldson might be an interesting Packer FA acquisition, thinking SF couldn't tag him under cap constraints. Media sources assured me he'd be franchised. I doubt it. The problem I see is that while Goldson was named All Pro he's probably not quite that kind of player, so the price tag might be a bit too high.

(1) Cutting Finley or (2) "cap friendly" deals (i.e., large signing bonuses) for Rodgers and/or Matthews or (3) letting Rodgers and/or Matthews wait until the next off season would supply the necessary cap room. I have perhaps a dimmer view of our incumbents at the safety position than most. This move would free up the top three picks for filling needs at a number of positions.

I may be in the minority, but if the injury situations with Bishop and Sherrod do not go our way and Finley needs to go make the other pieces work, this team has too many serious holes heading into a tough schedule...S, DE, ILB, LT, TE, TB.

To take one example, swapping Finley's $ for Goldson and Eifert in the first round would be sweet, if Eifert is still on the board. If he isn't there's plenty of work to be done elsewhere.

H

HardRightEdge

I thought they would have gotten more than a second round pick. I was gonna say it was a chance worth taking if they got at least a first round pick, but just a second? Close call on that.

They're lucky they got the 2nd. Other teams would have been aware of their cap situation and that Smith would have been cut come 3/12 had no deal been made. Harbaugh's "higly, highly, highly, highly unlikely" comment regarding cutting Smith was a smoke screen.

KC blinked...or avoided free agent bidding after 3/12 and filled a desperate need...depending on how you might think about it.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not shocked all they got was a 2nd. Smith had a solid year but no one was going to give up a 1st for him imo. Niners will use those picks to fill some spots, because with all those contrats they have about to expire no way can they bring everyone back. I look for them to take a Safety in the early rounds and maybe another offensive linemen.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's keep in mind that Smith was a "game manager" with studs like Vernon Davis and Michael Crabtree hauling in passes, Frank Gore pounding the pigskin, and a stellar defense. I think he's decent but look what he needed surrounding him to reach the level of "game manager." It might be harsh, but it may not be far off

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Smith isn't a franchise QB. Giving up a 1 would be insane.

Not a fan of the move. Should have shored up the defense and focused on next seasons QB draft if they didnt like anyone In this one

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts