Seriously, should the Packers cut Hunt by Sunday ?

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some things to consider...

-I think his cap # this year is ~ 2.8 mil

-What sort of message is sent to the team if he's starting after the offseason he had?

-Is his lazy attitude contageous?

-Backups have been very sketchy, although Peterson had a solid game last night

-Most of us trust that he has potential...so is it worth keeping him around for that knowing, theoretically, he should outplay whoever else is on the roster?.....thoughts?

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The main question is whether he should be cut - I don't really care about the tangibles at this point... It's his play, or lack thereof, that I focus on.... Imagine...demanding more money and then coming into camp "out of shape and now basically considered as injured" -- Both Grady and him could both take a hike as far as I'm concerned... and I think with Jackson, we're starting to see some of that NO Saints drama creeping back into his attitude....

But, for Hunt - I won't miss him... not one bit!
What's worse, playing a lackluster player who WON'T do the job, or a Rookie who only needs some time to learn his craft? You tell me! And, ask yourself this.. is he really outplaying whomever else we have available on the Roster? Or is he getting in the way? Even Cletidus had a learning curve coming into the NFL.

Reaction score
I put it like this, if we have more than one million in cap space after cutting Hunt, then CUT THE BASTERD. :evil: The fact is we need at least a million for insurance purposes, in case we need to sign a player or two because of injuries. We have Jackson, Williams, Cole (who still needs to be more consistent, but I like what I have seen from his this camp and last year), Peterson (who looks A LOT better at DT than at DE), and if all else fails, Lee/Washington (there big, and still need more time to be developed, but are just as effective as Hunt since they get pressure at times and get blown off other times). And if worst comes to worst, we move Jenkins back inside, since he has proved he can handle the DT position.

But my point is, Next years cap space will allow us so much flexibility that it is a given if Hunt doesn't perform that he is gone. But I say if we have one million in cap space left after cutting him, THAN WHY ARE WE STILL WAITING :x

*EDIT* Okay, the cap numbers are out and can be found at http://www.profootballtalk.com/september1caproom.htm

According to them, Pack have 3.91 in cap space as of September 1st. so my question is, WHAT ARE THEY WAITING FOR :shrug:

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The bottom line is we need him. He has potential and could be good if he could get it through his Cheeseburger resined skull. He knows we really don't have many options. As much as the younger guys have tried and have shown glimpses of promise he's our 1st string. If he doesn't get it rolling this year he's gone for sure next year.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Set Cletidus Free!!!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if cutting him doesnt hurt us much financially, i say do it. Peterson is fine, Williams is fine..and jenkins can play end AND dt.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree....get rid of the fat, lazy bastard! He's disrespected his teammates, coaches, and fans for too long by sitting on his thumb during the last couple offseasons and not getting into shape. He disappears for games at a time where he makes ZERO plays.

I'll take a young, hungry player with less talent than a cancer cell like Hunt any day of the week and twice on Sunday!

TT MIGHT BE WAITING TO GET A REAL GOOD LOOK AT HIM BUT AFTER THIS PRE-SEASON, HOPEFULLY HE TAKES THE HIT AND GETS IT OVER WITH!

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Typically I'd actually go against the grain and say keep him. Hunt a ton of downs last season. Even though he was average, that's still better than some of the other young guys right now.

But that incident about him disrespecting Bates while sitting on his lazy *** still has me outraged!! I think that TT wants to save the cap money to sign a couple of our soon to be FAs during the season, but we would be better off dumping Hunt and starting Williams. It would also open up a position for us to keep/develop Washington, who has more upside and potential than Lee.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts,

I agree with you. Bates came in and had to earn the respect of his players right away. I think he did that without question except for the bad apple, Cletidus Hunt. I say it would show a lot to the others if they canned him and gave the explanation that if anyone wants to be for themself and not put the team first, they will be right behind Hunt's *** on the way out!

Cheezy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say keep him. I mean yeah he's a lazy *** but he's first string. I would rather have Jackson and Cole in the middle but Cole isnt consistent and none of the others guys have proved that if Hunt were to get cut they could step up. So i dont see Hunt getting cut unless Sherman and TT are seriously fed up with him.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can't cut Hunt because it would cost the Packers too much in the salary cap area. They will hold on to him until he just becomes too much of a distraction.

OP
OP
M

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse...do you know how the salary cap hit works?

They have to pay his remaining signing bonus, which is 1 mil this year, and then the rest (2-3 mil) counts against their cap next year.

As for his salary...if you're cut, isn't that wiped clean? If so, the Packers save 1.8 million this year, 2.8 next year, 3.8 the following... I could be dead wrong on what happens to your salary and the cap if cut.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cheezy said:
I say keep him. I mean yeah he's a lazy *** but he's first string. I would rather have Jackson and Cole in the middle but Cole isnt consistent and none of the others guys have proved that if Hunt were to get cut they could step up. So i dont see Hunt getting cut unless Sherman and TT are seriously fed up with him.

I hope they are seriously fed up with him. :evil:

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Instead of just cutting Hunt, it's possible guys like Hunt and Luchey, and to a lesser extent Flanagan could be told to take a pay cut if they want to remain on the team and earn a reduced salary compared to being cut and possibly getting no salary this year. That would help the cap situation a little more with a guy like Hunt. They've done it in the past with Winters. It seems to me they did it once with Henderson too but I can't remember for sure if they did it with Henderson.

G

musccy said:
Some things to consider...

-I think his cap # this year is ~ 2.8 mil

-What sort of message is sent to the team if he's starting after the offseason he had?

-Is his lazy attitude contageous?

-Backups have been very sketchy, although Peterson had a solid game last night

-Most of us trust that he has potential...so is it worth keeping him around for that knowing, theoretically, he should outplay whoever else is on the roster?.....thoughts?

There are no if's, an's or but's.

SEND HUNT ON HIS WAY! END OF STORY!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I like Peterson and C. Williams over HalfHunt any day. He doesn't like being in GB, he's being a immature **** during practices when asked to do specific things, he's an all around bad apple and we don't him.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think if they cut him, the Packers still take the cap hit next year....
Which would explain why they keep him... 'sides, by this time next yar, all the newcomers will have had time to gel..

Next year ---

• swap Cole for Jackson
    (Cole was listed at 325 in the last game)
    bring in Peterson, Jenkins & Williams
    don't ever write off Donnell Washington just yet

big discussion article on roster cuts - at Packersnews.com - TODAY

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His new team will not pay him $250K to lift weights for a few weeks.

Cleditus could sure use the $500K he did not think was worth it.

Those 2 strikes in the substance abuce program shouldn't count against him at all.

He might look back on his Packer days as the best time of his life.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hunt could have stayed if he had just done something.
He could have made $3K an hour for lifting wieghts in the offseason.
He could have attended the mini-camp in June or at least call someone to say he would not be there.
He could have been ready for one of the last 3 training camps.
He could have renegotiated a pay decrease.
He could have been respectful to the coaches.
He could have participated in Packer community events.
He could have shown some effort on the field.

The minimum of effort was just too much for Cleditus.
He affects the cap through 2006 season.

Latest posts