1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Serious Input only

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by azrsx05, Feb 18, 2012.

1. azrsx05

azrsx05 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +44
    Alright all. So I'm in a dilemma. Right now I'm working as a manager at a restaurant that I've been working for 7 years. I really don't like working there anymore because its publicly owned and they now have ridiculous targets with labor, productivity and just squeezing everyone dry. I'm just not happy any more. So, I know someone who works at another place and offered me a serving position with a chance of down the line moving into management. At the moment I make $1400 after taxes every 2 weeks. and I'm actually working about 55-60 hours a week. As a server I would be making about $300-700/week. Which would actually not be much of a pay cut with 1/3 of the responsibility, less hours, cash money. The only thing I'm not sure about is just feels like I'm taking a step back instead of moving up. What do you guys think is the best option?

2. Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper Fantasy Football Guru

Ratings:
    +1,409
    Do you have a family or are you single?

3. Dan115

Dan115 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +483
    Do you have to work Sundays?

4. azrsx05

azrsx05 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +44
    I am married with no kids. My schedule changes all the time. I do work Sundays and would probably have to work Sundays if I waited too

5. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,023
    So you feel your job is at a dead end and you are no longer happy with the working conditions. You are thinking about taking a lesser position at another place. You are able to switch jobs without any serious change in pay or hours, just fewer responsibilities and maybe better working conditions. If you are true to yourself and really unhappy, move on. If you can work back up to your current position relatively soon, all the better.

• Like Like x 1
  6. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    That's a tough call, but if the money is pretty close, I would always go with what is more enjoyable than what "sounds" good.
    Management adds stress and takes away more time from your life.

So I would lean towards making the switch.

In addition to that, it would feel so nice for you to tell someone to shove it up their @ss for making things miserable at your current place.
    I'm tired of people like you in your position getting shat on like that.

Keep us updated.
    Good luck to you.

Remember, YOUR time IS MONEY too.

7. GreenBayGal

GreenBayGal Cheese Goddess

Ratings:
    +1,123
    It sounds like you are too young to be stuck in a job where you're unhappy. Save that for when you're close to retirement and you're less likely to get your dream job should you start over. If the new job has room for advancement with a more favorable work enviroment, I say, "go for it".

8. Kitten

Kitten Feline Cheesehead Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,427
    Never underestimate the power of happiness. When you are unhappy at work, it can set your whole life out of balance. If you are so unhappy at your current job and you see no room for improvement, than perhaps seriously entertain the idea of making the switch. Especially if you already have something else lined up. But please, above all else, make absolutely sure that your new job is a done deal and you have it securely before you even breathe a word of your intentions to your current employer. Stuff has a tendency to fall through, I'm not saying it's going to happen, but it would be better to have your current job than none at all. I'm just saying, make sure things are set and in place before you make a move. Also, when and if you decide to leave your current job, leave on good terms. Give them their two weeks notice and inform your new employer that you have to settle things with your old job before you can begin working there. Especially if your old job is a place you may be visiting (as a customer) in the future. Most importantly, you may want to be able to use them on your resume and you don't want any issues with them.

With all that's been mentioned in this thread, if it were me, and I knew for sure I had the new job, I'd make the move. I'm a big believer in happiness. I've worked jobs where I was just miserable all the time and trust me, it takes its toll on every aspect of your life. Do what's best for you, your sense of happiness is paramount.

9. Wood Chipper

Ratings:
    +1,409
    Being a male stripper makes good money.

• Like Like x 2
  10. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,078
    leave.
    2 things to keep in mind, hard work always pays off and easiest way to move up in a company is to do things that make your boss's job easier.

11. azrsx05

azrsx05 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +44
    Thank you all for your input. So I went ahead and put my 2 weeks in today and even gave them a letter of resignation. I specified in it that I am more than willing to help train my replacement in my last 2 weeks. I don't want to leave in bad terms, I want this to be a bridge builder instead of a bridge burner. That's how I got this new job, its someone I had worked for 6 years ago and she knows how good I am at my job. I actually will go in tomorrow to the new place to fill out all the legal paperwork, so that pretty much makes it official. I feel very relieved and I think I've made the right choice, but only time will tell and if I wouldn't have done it, I would have always been wondering what if.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Poppa San

Ratings:
    +1,023
    Good luck. May the grass be greener,

13. Wood Chipper

Ratings:
    +1,409
    I feel like you completely side stepped your other option of being a male stripper.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Poppa San

Ratings:
    +1,023
    He never did say what he was serving up either.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Vltrophy

Vltrophy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +391
    I used to be a server for a few months for a pizza place & I made a decent amount of money. Fewer hours would be nice but also look at what you have going out bill wise. Is this something that you'd be able to do w/a paycut? If you can better yourself I say go for it. You can't go wrong when you better youself. Primetime said "How can you expect others to believe in you if you don't believe in yourself." He also said "Pro athletes succeed b/c they expect to succeed,start believing." Hope this helps.

16. realcaliforniacheese

realcaliforniacheese A-Rods Boss

Ratings:
    +966
    If you stressed and hate what you do, it affects your health, your happiness and the rest of your life. If the money is not an issue and you will be happier at what you do 1/3 of your day then I say go for it. You can always look for a management position at another company just part friendly so you have a good reference.

17. azrsx05

azrsx05 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +44
    So a bit of a twist. So the place I currently work at offered me more money, its a 8% increase and they would move me to a new location that is minutes from my house.

18. Poppa San

Ratings:
    +1,023
    Different franchise with the same corporate philosophy and management structure? Still treating employees (excuse me associates) as chattel? Can you put up with the BS for about $50/week and a shorter commute? I thought part of the opening dilemma was to get away from the corporate edicts and to get to a place that offered hope and decency. And more free time.

19. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Good points!

Keep us posted. I am guessing you are still leaving the company....

20. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,063
    You know, I have half a notion that you'd really come to regret "following the money". I moved from a 12-year job about 8 years ago...I was senior management at a credit union, leaving to take a senior managment position with a bank. The former employer played the same game with me and my new and current employer was afraid that this kind of offer would surface. I told the new guys that I had given them my word I was coming on board and NO amount of money would be sufficient to get me to go back on my word.

The former employers' offer was unbelievable yet I came to realize that if they valued me that much, they'd have made sure they took care of me BEFORE I grew tired of the day-to-day crap I was cleaning up for them. Had a notion that I'd REALLY be earning every dime and then some if I stayed there.

So...there you have it...my word won out and I haven't regretted it from day one and haven't looked back once.

• Like Like x 1