Senior Bowl Thoughts

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm kind of keeping a blog about the Senior Bowl on another site. I'm taping all the practices and watching them. Here is what I've seen so far. Remember these are my opinion on what I've seen. I don't have all the access to everything single little detail by NFL Network is showing most of it.

North Day 1

I was not overly impressed with Troy Smith. The ball was wet but he did not look like a 1st round pick to me. Today will be a better indicator on how he may grade out.

Paul Posluzny looked solid. He really fills the hole quickly and is very aggressive. I think he's going to be an all around solid player.

Levi Brown look pretty good as well. He got beat once but that's about it. Most importantly he was beaten by Woodley once and then pancake him the next time. Really strong guy and looks like a top 15 pick.

Adam Carriker looked great. He was the best Defensive Player on the Field in my opinion. Really looks like he can play the 3-4 DE as well as the 4-3 DE. I think he's a top 20 pick as of now and with a good week could solidify himself as the 3rd best DE in the Draft.

Amboy Okoye looks really good as well. Gets off the ball nicely and is a big body in the middle. I think he’s the consensus #2 DT and his upside is huge. He’s only 19 which is just amazing.

Really hard to judge the receivers and corners right now since I'm not a big fan of 1 on 1 drills since the Corners are at a huge disadvantage. Leon Hall breaks on the ball real well as does Damieon Hughes. However Hughes did not have an overly impressive practice. He got beat pretty bad on a couple of throws. Marcus McCaughey did not look great and needs to get more aggressive.

Receivers. I liked Paul Williams a lot. I think he's really climbing boards and went from a unknown 2nd day pick to a 1st Day Pick in matter of weeks. I'm really starting to like him. McKnight is very physical route runner and looks like he could be a very solid player.

North Practice Observations

Day 2

Quarterbacks

Troy Smith looked much better today. He threw a very nice ball and he does have an NFL arm. He has good mechanics as well. If he was built a little better and had a quicker release he would be a top 15 pick but unfortunately for him he’s not. Still I thought a much better and a solid day for Troy Smith.

Drew Stanton had a pretty good day yesterday and another solid one day. He has NFL size and an NFL arm. He’s looked fairly good as well. I’d rate him as a 2nd round pick from what I’ve seen. I can hardly wait until the game so I can see what he does that type of situation but he’s certainly a guy to keep an eye on.

Tyler Palko was the worse to the 3. He had a couple of throws where the ball was poorly placed and he just didn’t seem to have it today. He missed at least 2 throws in the 7 on 7’s.

Running Backs

Really didn’t get to see much of the running backs today but from what I did see Brian Leonard looked fairly solid. I think he would of graded out better as a FB but he’s dropped his weight and wants to be a RB. If he proves he can do both he could be a 1st day selection. I’m thinking 3rd round right now.

Receivers

Paul Williams is fast becoming my favorite player at the senior bowl. He has great hands and runs very good routes. The 40 could be huge. If he keeps this up he could slide into early 2nd round and maybe even late 1st to a team like the Chicago Bears or even New England as Bill Belichick has some ties with Pat Hill.

Rhema McKnight looked pretty solid as well. He’s a very physical player and he can go up and get the ball but his route running needs to improve in my opinion. Looks like a great red zone threat right now.

Jason Hill is another guy I’m really starting to like. Kind of fell of the charts a little as everyone seemed to forget about him but he’s really coming along nicely. He gets off the ball fast and runs great routes. His hands are great as well. Another guy with a good day could end up as a mid to late 2nd round pick.

Offensive Lineman

Doug Datish looked pretty solid. He’s not on the level of Nick Mangold but he’s definitely your typical Ohio State offensive lineman. I think he’s going to be a nice pick for someone on the 1st Day. He looks like he needs to get a little stronger from my early observation but we’ll see how it goes.

Levi Brown had another solid day. I’m really liking his upside. The one weakness that I can find with him right now is he has some trouble with speed rushers. Anthony Spencer beat him a few times in drills but overall he looks like a solid top 20 pick to me. Pittsburgh and Buffalo are probably keeping a close eye on him.

Two disappointments were Manuel Ramirez and Samson Satele. Both kind of got pushed around some. These were two guys I wanted to watch closely as I thought both could compete for a 2nd round projection but both are looking kind of sluggish to me.

Defensive Lineman

All about Anthony Spencer. He’s a great pass rusher off the edge. He beat Levi Brown a couple of times and I am really looking forward to seeing him at LB in a 3-4 situation. If he looks good there his stock could soar like Manny Lawson’s did last years.

Okoye has this nasty spin move that works about 90% of the time. He’s very fast off the ball. He’s 287 which I read some people were disappointed in but he’s only 19!! He has more upside than any player in the Draft in my opinion.

Adam Carriker continues to show his versatility as he’s playing all over the place. Seen him at DT and DE. Could project to a 3-4 DE as well. His teammate Jay Moore is very quick off the ball. Probably the 3rd fastest off the ball only to Anthony Spencer and Amboy Akoye.

Linebackers

Paul Posluszny has a lot of potential. He’s not on the level of A.J. Hawk or Ernie Sims was coming out but he’s certainly similar to Chad Greenway. In fact I like him a lot better. Greenway went in the top 20 last year. If Posluszny keeps it up he’ll solidify himself as a top 20 pick.

H.B. Blades didn’t really stand out as much as one would expect. A lot of people are high on him but I’m not one of them. He’s a good player and a legit 2nd round pick but he’s not doing enough for me to bump his stock back up into round 1. Has a lot of work to do. Looks like he projects more so to OLB in the NFL rather than in the middle.

David Harris is solid against the run and really could be a nice 3-4 MLB but he needs to tone his pass coverage skills. If he improves on that this week a team like San Diego or New England could take a good look at him in round 1.

Secondary

Eric Weddle is NOT a Corner. Looked awful. He was bad in bump and run and could not run with a lot of the receivers. Jason Hill clearly had his number. He looks out of position at Corner. Looks more like a safety to me and a hard hitting SS is probably the best label for him.

Marcus McCaughey had a much better day in my opinion. He looks really good in bump and run and was much more physical today. I think a team who plays a lot of bump and run could consider him in the 1st or early 2nd.

Not a fan of Daymeion Hughes. He was beaten several times today badly. Isn’t looking like that 1st round pick that he was made out to be. Has a lot of work to do in my opinion.

Leon Hall is looking like the consensus #1 CB but you can clearly see that bump and run isn’t his game. He’s more of a finesse player that likes to read the receiver and QB. Breaks on the ball better than anyone there.

I’ll do my observations on the South tomorrow. I’m going to watch their practice tonight.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Damn Dwayne Bowe is schooling all the South DB's.
McCauley didnt looks so good on wednesday, the commentators were saying his confiedence is rock bottom at the moment.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.putfile.com/bonstonker/media

Here is many many videos of the practices and plus some of the packer niners game

hehe, beat ya to it! Its great to see the one on ones and the interactions between the coaches and players. Singletary coaching the linebackers is excellent as they are basically auditioning for the 49ers first draft pick. He seems to jaw Willis the least so you can take it that Singletary thinks hes ok. Buster Davis has been getting dogs abuse though, its pretty funny!

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NFL Network but the link above has all the highlights of the practices so far, theres a few hours viewing to be seen there.

Members online

Latest posts