Seneca Wallace ? Can he step up ?

• Thread starter I_am_smoked_cheddar
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
He cant step up when he lacks the tools as a QB to do so. He has never ever been able to step it up

He might throw a handful of TD passes in the next 4-6 weeks (if that), but our defense and run game is going to need to be on point for us to have any shot.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
He might throw a handful of TD passes in the next 4-6 weeks (if that), but our defense and run game is going to need to be on point for us to have any shot.

I completely agree....but having ONLY a run game takes away our 2 headed monster of an attack. If the enemy knows whats coming, its easy to defend the attack. If we have no viable air support, you lose the war.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I completely agree....but having ONLY a run game takes away our 2 headed monster of an attack. If the enemy knows whats coming, its easy to defend the attack. If we have no viable air support, you lose the war.
Just like we did on Mon. night.
Today's games cannot win it on the run alone.
2010 showed us that when we didn't have the run game as we do now.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our running game is second to none and with Matthews and Perry returning possibly this week, I think we win about half of however many games Rodgers is out.

Reaction score

I agree! Short week, with only 4, possibly 5 days of practice under his belt, but who knows, Wallace just may surprise us all. I'm just looking at the schedule one game at a time and the Eagles 4 wins have come against the Skins, Giants, Bucs and Oakland. That's not a lot to brag about. These next 3 games are all very winnable "IF" SW can just complete enough passes once in a while to keep the defenses honest and move the chains because we sure arent't going to be able to have the point production we were accustomed to having when AR was on the field. Different approach now: ball control and move the chains = TD or FG ....a MUST on possessions! I agree, stacking 8 in the box is going to kill us! Hell, they might as well be in the huddle with us.

He may, but our OL has to really step it up, too. Wallace is really going to struggle being pressured constantly. And you are right about our defense needing to ratchet it up. That was just a pathetic performance against the Bears. No Clay, I know, but we've been able to survive without him enough to win. Never been easy whenever when we've had to play from behind, even with AR as QB and I never worried about not coming back, but now.....well, if it happens, I won't like our chances much. Defense has got to really step it up, big time!

Clay and Perry may be back, so I'm feeling much better about this team rallying together in Aaron's absence. One game at a time!

Last edited:

Hjalmar Davidson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wallace will be better with a week of practice reps. We change our game plan to suit him and run the ball ! It would be nice if we could get a pass rush, maybe play some defense. Everyone has to step up and play better. Hey, we are still tied for fist place and still have a lot of good players. The Iggles wont have a clue what is coming for this game, so maybe a wrinkle or two could be added. I'm optomistic.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I have seen a senaca wallace jersey..... it was being used as a diaper in a 3rd world country. Kinda funny that there is a turd in his jersey now and there were turds in the diaper jersey...Hmmmm....

H

HardRightEdge

Why do people keep saying the Giants are in disarray right now?
They have won 2 straight games, and Eli has no turnovers in those 2 games.
What they did in September & early October doesn't mean anything right now.

Even when we had Rodgers, we struggled against them. They match up well with us.

We cannot ever cover Victor Cruz or even the slow Hakeem Nicks.

I have the Giants as a 7-point favorite over the Seneca Wallace led Packers. That game is far from a gimme for us. We're going to lose that one.

The Giants have won 1 in a row, beating Philly, hardly an impressive win. Before that they beat the Vikings, which doesn't count. ;) That's one small notch above bragging on beating Jacksonville. I don't believe a 2-6 team has ever made the playoffs...these guys are one bad half away from packing it in.

Nobody said any of these games would be easy. This Packer team, with Seneca Wallace, drops hard into the ranks of decent teams wandering in a QB wilderness...Buffalo, Cleveland, Arizona, St. Louis. When you're in that position you have a chance to beat poorer teams (like the Giants and Vikings), but there's never any comfort factor.

That's what we have here...a chance against the Giants and Vikings. But the time we get to Detroit, if Rodgers has not returned, there is no chance (unless Stafford breaks HIS collarbone).

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ah, Seneca Wallace aka the "turd". I think with a weeks worth of polishing that turd, maybe even pour some perfume on it...it's still gonna look like and smell like a turd.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
From

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/rating-the-packers-vs-bears-b99135665z1-230772811.html

Wallace had little or no practice time with the No. 1 offense, Mike McCarthy wasn't prepared to play to Wallace's strengths.
In order to succeed, Wallace can't be confined to the pocket, where he was four times on seven-step drops and twice on five-step drops. Of his 48 snaps, just 17 came in shotgun. He will have to be used on bootlegs and half-rollouts because of his stature.

There were no delay of game penalties, dropped shotgun snaps or bobbled center exchanges, the procedural miscues that plague backups. Even when protection disintegrated into jail breaks, he wasn't pointing fingers or looking frustrated.

He threw a difficult pass moving to his left. How well teammates and assistant coaches rally around Wallace and if McCarthy devises a suitable game plan will determine his rate of success. T

he knee-jerk, negative evaluations of Wallace being made outside the building will have meaning only if McCarthy allows them to permeate the organization. It's about winning, and McCarthy must forge a winning formula behind a No. 2.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well hell, since you already know that why aren't you on the horn to 1265 telling them to forfeit so we can rest up on an extra bye week?
Why forfeit?
Play the games and allow the betting public on both sides a chance to make or donate some money to Vegas.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Jason Campbell. Tall, athletic, younger than wallace, knew the bears well. He came in with NO prep time for the browns and cranked it up for a win....

He was with the Browns since March, so he had ota, mini camps and training camp..But he didnt workk with the #1 offense in the week

He didnt play vs the Packers, but the next week started vs the Chiefs, then the week after that started vs the Ravens..

So he did have prep time..

http://www.nfl.com/player/jasoncampbell/2506364/gamelogs

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the worst possible player to get injured, but does come at the best possible time if it is hopefully only 3 weeks.

Next 3 are against the Eagles, Giants and Vikings with 2 of those at home. Bottom line for Seneca is that if he can't get us 2 of 3, he has no business being on the roster, assuming the D plays more like they have most of the season and a lot better than they did Monday.

The division games remaining are beyond crucial. I can see the season very possibly coming down to Week 17 against the Bears. If we can pull off wins against Minnesota and Detroit before then, we just need to be within one game of Chicago after Week 16 because we would be guaranteed the tiebreaker with a win over the Bears. Winning in Detroit on Thanksgiving is going to be a major challenge if Rodgers does not return on that day.

I will give Wallace the benefit of the doubt for Monday and acknowledge that he faced a tremendous challenge and judge him more on this performance then after a week of preparation with the first team. However, if he struggles mightily on Sunday, a desperation move may be necessary, whether it be Tolzien or Flynn. We simply don't have time to wait out Seneca if it's not working.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
This is the worst possible player to get injured, but does come at the best possible time if it is hopefully only 3 weeks.

Next 3 are against the Eagles, Giants and Vikings with 2 of those at home. Bottom line for Seneca is that if he can't get us 2 of 3, he has no business being on the roster, assuming the D plays more like they have most of the season and a lot better than they did Monday.

The division games remaining are beyond crucial. I can see the season very possibly coming down to Week 17 against the Bears. If we can pull off wins against Minnesota and Detroit before then, we just need to be within one game of Chicago after Week 16 because we would be guaranteed the tiebreaker with a win over the Bears. Winning in Detroit on Thanksgiving is going to be a major challenge if Rodgers does not return on that day.

I will give Wallace the benefit of the doubt for Monday and acknowledge that he faced a tremendous challenge and judge him more on this performance then after a week of preparation with the first team. However, if he struggles mightily on Sunday, a desperation move may be necessary, whether it be Tolzien or Flynn. We simply don't have time to wait out Seneca if it's not working.

If Wallace does well, I can hear it now...posters will say, it was only one game..

I highly doubt Flynn comes back if Wallace struggles...I would think they promote Scott to #1 and Wallace to #2..

They would need a roster spot for Flynn, and they wont cut Scott because (if I heard right on radio today) they cut him he has to go to waivers...I think the Browns will snatch him up because they tried to grab him of the practice squad and that is why the Pack gave him that huge raise..

I would think they would cut Wallace before Scott..

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So reading about Air-Run mentoring Wallace gives me some hope.
I bet there are Packers fans who would give their left nut to spend a day in a quarterback tutorial led by Mr. Rodgers.

http://www.packers.com/news-and-eve...-in-2010/5a2b28a2-a9b2-4db4-babc-cffe9fc152c7

Coming off the Monday night game, the Packers conducted a short practice at walk-through pace on Wednesday, which Wallace called “a good teaching day.” Rodgers was by his side throughout and will continue to be as the on-field work cranks up on Thursday and Friday.

For what it’s worth, that’s something Flynn didn’t have, because Rodgers was out with a concussion then and wasn’t around the facility for meetings or practice.

“Aaron’s going about it just as if he’s playing in the game,” McCarthy said. “It’s important for him to stay mentally sharp. He’s an excellent teammate. He’s going through it right next to Seneca, and he’s involved.”

Last edited by a moderator:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

I am quoting key statements from your link...
GREEN BAY—

Flynn almost pulled out a victory, looking much better after a full week of practice than he did the previous week coming off the bench unexpectedly in Detroit.

“It makes a huge difference, when you’re able to get snaps with the ones, and to be able to see things clearly, that helps you out big-time,” said Wallace, who was only taking a handful of snaps with the first-team offense each week until now.

“Figuring out timing and things like that with the receivers, just from a comfort level, it helps out. The biggest thing is to get as comfortable as possible as quickly as possible.”

“Knowing what kind of plays we’re going to call when we go into the game instead of just being thrown into the fire, I think he’ll be a lot more comfortable out there this Sunday,” receiver James Jones
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
said.

So while the game plan must fit what Wallace does best, it also must be designed to counter Philadelphia’s defensive tendencies. There’s some give and take to that dynamic, but Wallace said it himself, that he has to “cut it loose” and “don’t be hesitant.”

Things a few of us have been saying...Now we hear the coaches and teamates saying..

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Wallace does well, I can hear it now...posters will say, it was only one game..

I highly doubt Flynn comes back if Wallace struggles...I would think they promote Scott to #1 and Wallace to #2..

They would need a roster spot for Flynn, and they wont cut Scott because (if I heard right on radio today) they cut him he has to go to waivers...I think the Browns will snatch him up because they tried to grab him of the practice squad and that is why the Pack gave him that huge raise..

I would think they would cut Wallace before Scott..

I agree that they would cut Wallace before Tolzien. I would still prefer Flynn simply because I highly doubt Tolzien is ready. I don't know what has changed with Flynn in the last 2 years, but I do know that in his 2 starts with us, he looked like a Rodgers clone. Not that we have a lot of good options at this point, but I'd rather stake my hopes on that to save our season than anything else in hoping he can rediscover what he did here before.

Obviously, I'm hoping Seneca has a good game Sunday first and foremost. He doesn't need to be Rodgers, and he won't be, but he does need to do enough to effectively move the offense. He's certainly not a guy that can put the team on his back and do it alone, so everyone will need to step up, particularly the defense. Holding out hope that Matthews returns on Sunday.

Despite a very poor performance by the defense and an unprepared Seneca Wallace led offense, we still had a chance to win on Monday. That gives me some hope. I'm no longer hoping for a high seed and first round bye. Just get in any way you can -- division, wild card, it doesn't matter, just squeak out 10 wins. Get Rodgers back, get Cobb back, get Matthews back, and hope for a repeat of the 2010 run. I guarantee, even as a 6 seed, this isn't a team anyone will want to face in January if they can get in with a relatively healthy team.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I
Obviously, I'm hoping Seneca has a good game Sunday first and foremost. He doesn't need to be Rodgers, and he won't be, but he does need to do enough to effectively move the offense. He's certainly not a guy that can put the team on his back and do it alone, so everyone will need to step up, particularly the defense. Holding out hope that Matthews returns on Sunday.

Jones told him that..dont be Rodgers, be Wallace..

MM will make a game plan suited for him. I heard that could be moving the pocket, or roll outs..

Flynn looks good because of the pre time and the game plan was gear for him..And I think the proof is how bad he played vs that 1st Det game, then next week almost beat Brady.

You take away MM and the game plan he made for Flynn, you get Flynn being cut by three teams

Bus Cook

You're never alone with a schizophrenic
Reaction score
Wilmette=>Fontana=>Lake Geneva=>Michigan ugh
Jones told him that..dont be Rodgers, be Wallace..

MM will make a game plan suited for him. I heard that could be moving the pocket, or roll outs..

Flynn looks good because of the pre time and the game plan was gear for him..And I think the proof is how bad he played vs that 1st Det game, then next week almost beat Brady.

You take away MM and the game plan he made for Flynn, you get Flynn being cut by three teams
Another post about the greatness that you call MM. The master of the halftime adjustment. The guy that should only throw bean bags at carnivals. The predictability of Karnack. You want to take MM away from Flynn to show how bad Flynn is and how good MM is. Try taking BF and AR away from MM and then order your burger from him.

OP
OP
I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

With a weeks practice Wallace may be able to get better synchronicity with the offence and specifically the receivers. I hope that will be so, but the O-line will need to adjust to it's difficulties as well. Lets not forget about the D-Secondary and it's continuing drama.
I would welcome a Flynn workout, nothing to lose there. It may even encourage Wallace to perform better.

Unless the Defence can prevent being scored on better, chances are it will be a rough ride ahead.

OP
OP
I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

The Shepherd's Prayer: "Please God don't let me &-$< up." (Allen Shepard)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts