(seen on ESPN) is Favre a selfish player?

big3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
stayed on the ticker at the bottom for like 10 minutes. I was eating dinner at red robin so I couldn't hear the sound but it is the going topic nowadays. SO what do you think? Even if he deserves to have the players he wants. or however you feel about him. Do you think he is selfish? do you think he's lost his "for the team" attitude? thoughts?

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO its not true that anyone recieving a paycheck is selfish, some of us deserve that paycheck. The ones who work their butt off their entire lives to get where they are in life. The selfish ones IMO would be for example the Hilton girls, who were born with money, they dont really have to work a day in their lives. Those are the selfish ones in my eyes.

I do NOT believe Brett Favre is selfish at all, he has given us many many years of great football, do I think that athletes are paid to much money? Yes they are but we are never going to change that. They also can get career and life threatening injuries due to the sport. But you cant put a price on life. I also think he/Brett should have an imput on the players chosen, hes the one that has to play with them. He is an experienced player and knows who would make the team better. Do I think he should have total control, no, I dont or we wouldnt have the general managers and people in the top offices and scouts. He has been with the Packers forever and he is in the game to win. I just dont get why we are passing up great players to help our team win. But then again I dont know everything about football thats why I come here..lol...

tano1998

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's selfish, of course...
He didn't return 5M of his 2007 salary to get players...He can also gave this money to Randy Moss...
I have 39 years old, and I grew idolizing Brett...But it's time to move on...

packerfan1245

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you were given 7 million dollars would you give it all away? selfish? He's a great guy and a great player. I see no reason for him being selfish. Thats 1 man's biased opinion I suppose.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
stayed on the ticker at the bottom for like 10 minutes. I was eating dinner at red robin so I couldn't hear the sound but it is the going topic nowadays.

Yes!

I saw you there.

The Red Robbins in the 8500 block of West Grand River. You were staring the T.V. while you were eating. Nice shirt!

The service was slow in my opinion but at least the T.V. was on E.S.P.N.

Raider Pride. (I am every where, I am a ghost.)

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO its not true that anyone recieving a paycheck is selfish, some of us deserve that paycheck. The ones who work their butt off their entire lives to get where they are in life. The selfish ones IMO would be for example the Hilton girls, who were born with money, they dont really have to work a day in their lives. Those are the selfish ones in my eyes.

I do NOT believe Brett Favre is selfish at all, he has given us many many years of great football, do I think that athletes are paid to much money? Yes they are but we are never going to change that. They also can get career and life threatening injuries due to the sport. But you cant put a price on life. I also think he/Brett should have an imput on the players chosen, hes the one that has to play with them. He is an experienced player and knows who would make the team better. Do I think he should have total control, no, I dont or we wouldnt have the general managers and people in the top offices and scouts. He has been with the Packers forever and he is in the game to win. I just dont get why we are passing up great players to help our team win. But then again I dont know everything about football thats why I come here..lol...

Well said, and you know more about football than you realize.

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing I've gotten from all of this is that Brett wants to WIN! Now, I don't know about anyone else, but in my book that's a good thing! Do we all remember when he gave up part of his salary so the Packers could resign Sterling Sharpe? Apparently he said that he was willing to do the same thing for Moss. I don't think that's something a selfish person would do. He has every right to be upset and disappointed about the whole Moss thing. I heard some guy on Espn Radio say that Favre is the most selfish player in all of sports. I definitely beg to differ. Favre has never held out at the beginning of a season. Favre has stuck with the Packers all these years, and he still has the desire to win, and he obviously saw the potential in having Moss in GB like a lot of us did. A lot of us were disappointed when we didn't get him, so why can't someone who is actually on the team be disappointed as well? Favre speaks his mind, and should be allowed to, just like every other player in the league. He's not the first player to show disappointment in the moves (or lack thereof) his team makes, and he won't be the last.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i guess no one saw the actual thing on espn. but the points they brought up were very valid.

they were saying he was selfish, because he doesnt care about the Green Bay Packers long term success. He wants to win for Brett Favre right now, and doesnt care what happens when he leaves. Wants the players he wants brought in.... and still makes 11 mil a year. And how he refuses to tutor Aaron Rodgers. And how everytime a pass goes incomplete on third down, Brett is always shown on camera blaming the reciever.

But i mean if wanting to win now while your on a team is selfish, then every player is selfish... but i do agree that is pretty selfish to not help Aaron Rodgers out, and the blame game with the recievers is pretty lame, but i wouldnt characterize him as a totally selfish player at all.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heatherthepackgirl said:

Well said, and you know more about football than you realize.

Thanks so much for saying that, but I have learned tons by coming here and hanging out with you guys and reading all your posts. But when the media starts ripping Favre thats just not nice. We all have our own viewpoints on things and he was frustrated at the time and I would have been to. He did offer to give up some of his money to get Moss.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he didnt really offer to give much money up... but more or less spread it around so it wouldnt hurt the cap. he was still gonna get paid.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I hope he was going to get paid, would you do a job that you werent paid for unless it was volunterring or for charity to help someone? I surely wouldnt, we work for the money that is what life is about. If we didnt work for money we would be working for something else.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all, Favre has NEVER given up some salary for another player..he HAS re-structured but still got all his money. I'm not critical of him for that since everyone wants the money promised and earned. But let's keepthe record straight. He is NOT a god.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ESPN TRIES TO CREATE NEWS INSTEAD OF DOING WHAT THEY SHOULD AND REPORT THE NEWS AS FACTS COME OUT.
They are not the only ones, in todays "we have to break the story first and spin it the best" reporting, I suggest everyone wait for the whole story to emerge before coming on this forum and attacking each other because ESPN says something you all can't agree on.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all, Favre has NEVER given up some salary for another player..he HAS re-structured but still got all his money. I'm not critical of him for that since everyone wants the money promised and earned. But let's keepthe record straight. He is NOT a god.

thats all im trying to say

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Okay.... different way of looking at it... if he were to restructure his contract to free up some of his guaranteed money and retires this offseason... indeed he would lose out on money that would have been paid this year.

To free the money, most likely senerio would be to push some of this year money into remaining years of the deal via option bonuses and such... thus making them non-guaranteed to speak.

Not claiming him to be god, but in a likely senerio of restructure, IT MAY have cost him real dollars if and when he would retire.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I find it hard to put Brett in a "selfish" catagory when we are basically talking about one guy he really wanted brought in here.

I think he has bought in to the fact the team can progress and improve from within with younger guys but was looking for that one difference maker he saw out there we could get to help us win.

He sat behind a first year starter at center and at times three rookie "0" lineman and we didn't hear him ***** so much about that.

I would think "selfish" would pertain to one's own well being and benefit over something perceived helping the entire team.

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
this topic has spun into two points.

1.) Yes, Brett is selfish. A team member puts the team's goals first. Brett doesn't. Good or bad, it is what it is, it's what we have, and just like not having Moss, that's our team so play 'em.

2.) Brett may have offered to reduce his salary but he didn't. Furthermore, that move lines up with Brett's wishes and maybe not the Packers. The last point is speculation on my part as I don't know what Thompson's plan is.

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't recall anyone anywhere in the forum saying that Favre is a god. If someone likes Favre and tries to defend him, that somehow makes him a god? I guess I missed that sermon.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For some reason, I think that Thompson and Favre have both drawn lines in the sand and have both done things to maybe hurt each other that have also hurt the team. And unfortunately, McCarthy and us fans have gotten caught in the middle.

Regardless of who ends up winning their little pissing match, I don't see how the team can be too successful until it's over.

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm glad someone mentioned McCarthy, because he's the one who has to deal with both Favre AND TT. It has to be distracting for him, especially being that it's only his second season as a head coach. He's getting a real rundown in GM/player relations. From what we've seen, he seems to be handling it all pretty well, but then again we really haven't heard much from him this off season.

For some reason, I think that Thompson and Favre have both drawn lines in the sand and have both done things to maybe hurt each other that have also hurt the team. And unfortunately, McCarthy and us fans have gotten caught in the middle.

Regardless of who ends up winning their little pissing match, I don't see how the team can be too successful until it's over.

Members online

Latest posts